travel money

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

jontedkes
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

travel money

Post by jontedkes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:07 am

Hi, newbie to the forum. We are going to PV on honeymoon 1st sept 2007 from thr UK. I have just read on this forum that AMEX are discontinuing use ofr thier TC card which I have have 2 of. I don't really want to reload my card since they are going to be worthless in Oct, so do I buy US dollar travellers cheques or GBP? I am thinking that, given the strong pound at the moment, I may get a better exchange rate, plus, I won't be paying twice for changing currencies. I also checked with my bank about just drawing money from the ATM on my debit card, but it will cost me 2.75%+£1 each time. This sticks in my throat a bit, so can anyone advise me the best way to go? Thanx.

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

money

Post by pauline2006 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 pm

Always go with a Mix of US dollars and Mexican Pesos! Small US bills..lots of $1's for tipping
Most hotels will cash a traveller cheque in for you!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:20 pm

What kind of rate is your bank giving you for the British Pound to US dollars? Would really hate to see you exchanging a couple of different times to make it work for you! I am trying to think in my head if the banks or exchange booths had a Pound to Peso rate posted anywhere.

you may want to check on this as well....

welcome to the board.... enjoy

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 pm

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

check out this website - 1 GBP = 22.15 MXN peso....

that is a great rate... 1 USD = 11.13 MXN peso.....

good luck...

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

No

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Do NOT use USD if you are coming from the UK, as previously advised. As you noted, you lose on the triple exchange and the GBP is much stronger than the USD is right now, which would mean another substantial loss.

Not to mention you can exchange your GBP anywhere in town quickly and efficiently with no fees applied.

Instead of a TC card, take paper TCs if you feel more comfortable doing that. The ATM charges really become minimal if you take out the maximum allowable instead of going everyday (maximum amount means less trips to the ATM and you can simply store the balance of the cash in your in-room safe if you have one).

Your best exchange rate is always going to be using the ATMs, but if you do not wish to go that route take cash and exchange either at the banks or the casa de cambios all over town. Rates are listed in the window every day.

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

cards

Post by femme » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

and god forbid you happen to use your plastic at a machine that has been tamperred with.In the past few weeks there have been numerous problems around town. Just use your currency and exchange while you get here.

jontedkes
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jontedkes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:29 pm

thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Think I will go with my first instinct of GBP trav cheques, at least I will know what I have spent rather than waiting for my statement to tell me how much commission I have been charged. Really looking forward to coming to PV, can't wait!

pauline2006
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: No

Post by pauline2006 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Jennybean wrote:Do NOT use USD if you are coming from the UK, as previously advised. As you noted, you lose on the triple exchange and the GBP is much stronger than the USD is right now, which would mean another substantial loss.

Not to mention you can exchange your GBP anywhere in town quickly and efficiently with no fees applied.

Instead of a TC card, take paper TCs if you feel more comfortable doing that. The ATM charges really become minimal if you take out the maximum allowable instead of going everyday (maximum amount means less trips to the ATM and you can simply store the balance of the cash in your in-room safe if you have one).

Your best exchange rate is always going to be using the ATMs, but if you do not wish to go that route take cash and exchange either at the banks or the casa de cambios all over town. Rates are listed in the window every day.
Vendors do not take GBP...I was stating the currency they accept! That is a great exchange rate for GBP-Pesos :o)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

No

Post by Jennybean » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 pm

But he wasn't referring to vendors, just the best way to exchange his $$...and the best way to exchange his $$ is not to incur the loss on a 3 way exchange. :)

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:23 am

what kinds of problems are the atm's having?