Sharks!

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Jay_uk

Sharks!

Post by Jay_uk » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:20 pm

Ok I have heard a few things about the pacific coast of mexico and have heard things from friends who have been to PV. What kind of shark protection do they have (nets, whatchtowers etc?) is there any need for any? I have noticed whilst researching my vacation, that there appears to high percentage of shark attack on the pacific coast over the past 20 yrs or so. OK I don't mean to come across as naive but I have never been to this part of the world before and I like to have all my bases covered, know what I mean? Also anyone staying at the bluebay getaway from 24th june to 4th july wanna meet up for drinks with me and my lady gimme an e-mail. thanks, Jay.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re:Sharks!

Post by teduardo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:18 pm

Shark attacks are very prevalent in PV, in fact they can occur a thousand per day or more during the high season.

It starts off with someone being extremely friendly speaking English, with offerings of a free breakfast or tour discount. Next thing you know you have been bitten and swallowed up into a high-pressure sales presentation to get you to buy a time-share.

Protection? Just say no gracias or do not acknowledge them at all, or you will find yourself the victim of a shark attack. LOL

sorry I didn't really answer your question, but I couldn't resist.

pt

Post by pt » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:17 am

That is the best answer to the shark question I have ever seen! Hit the nail right on the head...not sure where the original poster received their statistics....all I know is I have never heard of a shark attack here in PV - except for the ones that start out with a timeshare approach.

Tholien

Post by Tholien » Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:28 pm

You are in luck, the bay that PV sits in is almost totally free of the sharks, the ones in the water not the timeshare ones. This is the stomping grounds of dolphins and whales and they patrol the bay entrance and keep the sharks out. The dolphins gang up on any shark that tries to enter and bash it repeatedly till they leave, so there have been very few shark sightings in the bay, very safe. Hope you enjoy your stay.

bincrazy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bincrazy » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:17 pm

pt (Apr 09, 2002 07:17 p.m.):
That is the best answer to the shark question I have ever seen! Hit the nail right on the head...not sure where the original poster received their statistics....all I know is I have never heard of a shark attack here in PV - except for the ones that start out with a timeshare approach.
.. LMAO !!!

Jay_uk

Post by Jay_uk » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:08 pm

so I guess that I better bring speargun to dispatch the great white time share parasites! thanx guys. I also happen to be a keen surfer, are the waters in PV surfable? if so can I hire a surfboard anywhere in PV?

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:18 pm

Best surfing in the PV area is Sayulita, up north past Punta Mita.

Get up to date surf info, including rental info I'm sure, from the guys at Archi's Burgers behind Carlo's O'Briens. "Archi" himself is an avid boarder.

You can boogie board at Los Muertos beach in areas, some good surf for that. Look for the local kids, they find the best spots.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Sun May 05, 2002 4:34 am

LOL FUNNY RESPONSE! I Can understand though why someone in the states would ask about shark attacks. We have had alot in florida recently along with other states on the east coast. I for one am glad to hear that the bay is pritty well shark free, we will be going scuba diving ( for the first time) when we vacation in puerto vallarta in June. The only thing that made me nervous was the possibility of sharks.
Lynne

nmathis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by nmathis » Sun May 05, 2002 1:19 pm

If you are going to be diving for the FIRST time, chances are that you will not be diving in an area that may or may not have sharks. You will probably dive at Los Arcos or the Marietas Islands. The Marietas is the better dive of the two. Who are you going to be diving with?

Ella

Post by Ella » Mon May 06, 2002 5:42 pm

Bravo!

Stay away from the timeshare sharks! Playa Del Sol on Amapas street are the worst! They cornered us on the sidewalk with thier Volkswagon! Please report these people to the tourist board!! We need to gang up, and get rid of them!

Real sharks? never have seen them in the waters at PV. Mantas? Yes! Whales? Yes

Jay_uk

Post by Jay_uk » Tue May 14, 2002 7:11 pm

what noises do sharks make? is it an nnnnnnahhhh or a grrrrrrrrrrrrrr or a gurgle aghhhh rahhhhhh?

nasty jeff

Post by nasty jeff » Wed May 15, 2002 3:02 am

do you think we could entice the dolphins to "bump" the timeshare sharks until they leave the bay?
Great reply by the way, LOL!

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Fri May 17, 2002 7:26 am

Custodian,
You asked who we were using for out first dive in PV, Im not sure, we are using the dives to complete our open water certification, through RCI We have to find out which PADI dive center there will work with RCI ( I have been told most of them do). I have herd of Chicos dive shop, the rest I don't know. We have also just learned in our class that PV water is considered cold and we will have to rent a wet suit along with hat and gloves is that true? We have our own fins, mask, and boots. ( it was required for the corse ). If you have recommendations for dive shops to use let us know.
Thanks
Lynne