TS hucksters and venders almost ruined my vacation

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Bob Esponge

TS hucksters and venders almost ruined my vacation

Post by Bob Esponge » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:31 am

I know that my complaint is a familiar one, but I feel that it cannot be repeated enough. People need to hear this. Time-share sharks on the streets of Pueto Vallarta and vendors on the beaches are so aggresive and intrusive that they very nearly ruined a vacation that I had saved for three years to take. Sales people from the Mayan Palace stood in my family's way as we tried to stroll Ave. Mexico. They grabbed my hand, asked my kids if they wanted to swim with dolphins, shouted at us from store-fronts and from accross the street, and even made rude comments to us as we walked away. How very unlike the incredible friendliness and hospitality we encountered everywhere else. It got to the point that we simply took taxis everywhere we wanted to go and gave up walking altogether. What a shame. These people should be stopped. Also: the vendors kept us off the beaches. Another great shame.

slippery- pete

Re:TS hucksters and venders almost ruined my vacat

Post by slippery- pete » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:20 am

if you think pv is bad for this, you should go to Bali.

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

Regardless of what it is like elsewhere, it seems to be a big problem in PV. I have never had an experience with T/S sharks or vendors that nearly ruined my vacation but... apparently enough visitors have and perhaps it's something that should be looked into for softening the aggressiveness of these people. These people are just trying to make a living but, PV is a tourist dependant city. Tourists have to feel comfortable or they won't return, along with friends and families.

bill12

Post by bill12 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:50 pm

OK timeshare hucksters....just say you already own one and keep walking...soon they will know who you are and back off..works great...

Vendors ...personally they do not bother me , I am always polite and say No Gracias and after a few days they recognize me and basically leave me alone ...for the money these people make ( very little) I for one admire them for standing out in the hot sun all day .

If these things really bother you that much then it might be time for you to rethink your vacation plans , after 4 times in PVR personally I find it part of its charm , nothing like a good haggle with a vendor for some t shirts ....

Good Luck

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:19 pm

I have to agree with bill12 on the fact that I have not had a bad experience with T/S or beach vendors. But, I have read several posts that have mentioned problems with regards to aggressive behavior. All I'm trying to say is that although it may not bother the regulars, prospective visitors are being "turned off" by a) the word that PV is bad for T/S Sharks and Vendors and b) have had a bad experience with the above. I stay in Old Town, maybe the problem is worse in the resort areas. It is just my observation that there seems to be enough complaints about this topic that some attention "could" be addressed to it.

I love PV and plan on many returns to this paradise. I too have found that a simple "No gracias" will do the trick for me. I am just saying that maybe this tourist town shouldn't ignore their life line.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:36 pm

I try not to be disrespectful to the sharks, but sometimes I get bored just saying "no gracias", and have a little fun with them.

When asked if you want a free or discounted tour, reply "My good man, I am far too busy this week going to time share presentations to go on any bloody tours". This usually has them baffled long enough to be out of their range.

Tell them your father sits on the board of directors of Four Seasons Hotels.

Tell them you're an OPC for different resort.

When a Mayan Palace shark asked what my oddly shaped package was (a large lamp wrapped for airline check-in), my wife turned to him and said "Body parts of an OPC". He was laughing harder than I was, and I was doubled over.

Most importantly, just chill out and enjoy yourself, your in Vallarta for gosh sakes. If you can't do that, you might just need a different destination.

Beached Whale

Post by Beached Whale » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:01 pm

I just returned and didn't find them that obnoxious. I had a great line for them, one I hear in Phoenix all the time.

I simply said, " Sorry I don't speak English"

Just keep walking, if you let something like this bother you maybe a remote cabin in Montana might be better.

Learn to say, "NO" "Go AWAY"

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:34 am

Just tell them you don't have a credit card, without a credit card you don't qualify for the tour and they timeshare sellers make no money off of you. They won't follow you down the street or try to pull you in off the street if you do not spell money to them.

I just joke with them as I walk buy and tell them "I don't do timeshare presentations." After I have been there a few days and have a good tan they start asking me if I live there and I just say "yes". No problema! Of course it doesn't hurt that I go there so often I look familiar to them.

There are many ways to deal with them without getting your panties in a bunch, your blood pressure elevated and ruining your trip.

You're in Mexico man, relax and be happy!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:06 am

Listen to Ted and Kat , words of wisdom.

susana

Post by susana » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:52 pm

A few different strategies: First off, choose a hotel that isn't a timeshare property. When someone speaks to you from a booth on the street (that you can pretty well figure is timeshare sales) just keep walking. As far as beach vendors, simply buy something from one... even in my botched Spanish I learned to say "only one per day" as far as purchases which made us both laugh. "No gracias" over and over, or reading a paperback book and just don't look up, both work well too.