Airport currency exchange hours of operation

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

syd

Airport currency exchange hours of operation

Post by syd » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:48 pm

Anyone know the hours the bank at the airport is open , wondering about Sturdays ?

Thanks

tojol57

Re:Airport currency exchange hours of operation

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:10 pm

WHY????

you don't have to exchange unless you totally want too... rates are better at the exchange booths closer to downtown... or the actual banks... and exchange only what you need to exchange.... so that you don't have a bunch cause you will get BURNED the other direction.... you can go to MSN or Yahoo and get a current rate from dollars to pesos, or canadian to pesos too.....

always check with the cashier at any resturant or store what they are exhanging at... if they are 10-1 head for a exhange booth and get some pesos.... it should be trading at 11.25 to 1 right about now...

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Pesos Rule

Post by teduardo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:06 pm

I have to disagree.

First, the best exchange rates are at the airport. In October I got 11.55 to USD, while in town was around 11.05 to 11.10. Using your ATM card will also get yuo a good rate. The market rate as of this afternoon is 10.8941, so I doubt anyone will give 11.25.

Second, the currency in Mexico is the peso. Yes places will take USD, but do not expect the maximum exchange rate from a restaurant or store cashier. Also means whoever takes them must go wait in the long lines at their bank to deposit or exchange. It is courteous to use pesos while in Mexico. And I personally do not mind brining a few home, as I know I will return to spend them, got around 1000 pesos tucked in with my passport for May.

JMHO

syd

Post by syd » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:14 am

I would still like to know the hours of operation of the Casio at the airport ....anybody ????

As for why I have to agree with Teduardo best rate of exchange gettin in late on a Saturday and would like to kno wthe hours

syd

Post by syd » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:19 am

As well many people will tell you that you should only tip in pesos otherwise the hard working people have to stand in line to exchange the money back to pesos.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:58 am

Consensuses I have read is the bank closes at either 2pm or 4pm on Saturdays (I am guessing it is 4pm, but don't hold me to it). The cambio next to the bank will be open later than that, which is where I got an excellent rate a couple of months ago. And there is an ATM at the airport.

syd

Post by syd » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:29 am

At the airport, you have multiple choices of exchanging money. There is a bank to the left of the customs exit line, with normal banking hours, there is also an ATM machine, and a casa de cambio at the left. The airport casa de cambios hours are from 9 AM to 8 PM. If you arrive later, the ATM machine to the left is open 24 hours a day. Both the bank and cambios exchange U.S. Dollars, Canadian Dollars, Euros and a few other types of currency. You cannot exchange any foreign coins for pesos.

Found it on Vallarta online ..thanks for the help.

friskyvixen

Post by friskyvixen » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:15 pm

Hey, thanks for some helpful information! I always and only use ATMs for money exchange, but I would have waited until the next day to exchange dollars since we're arriving around 9 PM on Friday. I thought the service people liked getting tips in dollars, but since you've raised my consciousness, I'll certainly get some pesos before leaving the airport for taxi-drivers, porters, etc.

This bulletin-board was such a find!