Canadian Travellers Cheques

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Vancouver
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Canadian Travellers Cheques

Post by Vancouver » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:18 pm

Can someone tell me whether hotels will cash a Canadian Travellers Cheque or if I will have to go to a currency exchange or a bank.

When I was purchasing some peso's here, the guy at the money exchange told me I should take US dollar bills to tip but I would rather tip with peso's and from what I've been reading, it sounds like that would be fine.

Any advise would be appreciated.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:55 pm

Yes, your hotel should take Cdn TC's as well as the banks and cambios will accept them but I do believe that you need a passport to cash them.

Yes, tipping in peso's is fine. You can also tip in US or CDN $'s but remember that coins are useless to them as they cannot be exchanged.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by susan p » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:03 pm

yes, tip in peso, that really is best and polite.
________
Vermont Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:42 am

I'm not sure what the obsession with traveller's cheques are in this day and age. Your Canadian bank card will work at virtually any ATM in PV. Just use cash, save yourself the hassle, and you'll also get a much better exchange rate - even with the service charges. Just withdraw a wad of Pesos and keep them in the safe in your room.

Just my $.02

Vancouver
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Vancouver » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:43 am

Hi tim25,

I agree with you about the ease of use and convenience and I DO use my bank card. However, I was put in the position once where I was traveling alone and had my purse stolen with my credit card, travelers cheques and bank card in it. I wasn't in a position to leave them in a safe as I was traveling by train at the time. Lesson learned about putting everything in the same place!!

I was able to replace the travelers cheques within 24 hours but was unable to replace the credit card or bank card until I returned to Canada. As a precaution, I now tend to travel with travellers cheques as a back up but I use my bank card as well.

I guess you could say I just like to feel that extra little bit of security.

Cheers!

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Travelers Cheques

Post by ronald » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 am

I understand your concern for security and do agree that a theft would at least guarantee you got your money back, but we stopped taking them to Mexico a few years ago because we found they are a real pain to cash. (other than in the hotel you are staying in, which will cash them, but always have a higher exchange rate than all of the other places) Now we just got a second ATM card each from our Credit Union, and pack the spare in our luggage someplace. Never lost one yet, and you get the best exchange rate, plus, you only take out what you think you will need.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Travellers cheques

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:21 pm

We have never bothered with travellers cheques. We bring most of the money we need along in pesos. We watched the exchange rate on the internet and when it peaked we went to the Credit Union and got the pesos. Just left it in the safe in our room and if or when we needed more we just used the ATM machine. So convenient. Bought and tipped everything in pesos.
Joyce