Hurricane in Puerto Vallarta Mexico?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bananaboat
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Hurricane in Puerto Vallarta Mexico?

Post by bananaboat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 pm

I´m wondering, is there a possibility of a hurricane in PV these months? I`ll be there by late july..

sandib
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sandib » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:16 am

I am a newbie to PV (been 4 times so far so still consider myself a newbie) 8) I believe there is a very good chance of a hurricane. So far during the past week or so, we have tracked 3 different tropical storms/hurricanes (Bud, Carlotta and now Daniel). None of them have come too close to land and have all spun off to the west. They seem to start just below PV (acapulco area perhaps?) then go up the coast a little then off to the west. I have a feeling it may be a bad year for them nasty little boogers! I'm not too concerned though. We have a trip planned for Aug 5th-12th for hubbys birthday and will not be changing our plans. The last hurricane I know of was a few years back. It seems PV is fairly protected (??? dont know just a wild guess, locals may disagree. I just go by what I hear on the news and weather channels. My husband is a pilot so he is ALWAYS watching the weather). Perhaps because it sits in such a large bay? I'm certainly not trying to scare you off and I really would not be to concerned about this. Don't worry, be happy! You are going to the most spectacular place on earth ~ JMO. :lol: Have a great time, I know I will, no matter what the weather! [storm] [sun]

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hurricanes

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:29 am

PV is not conducive to hurricanes. Hurricane Kenna in 2002 did not, despite what was reported on many news stations in the US and Canada, get hit by the hurricane. It landed near San Blas, about 100 miles north of Vallarta.

The damage in PV was caused by storm swells due to the sudden turn it took at sea towards land, and if you go to noaa.com, you can still see historical path info in their archives. Many places that were hit with gigantic waves of water and sand were back in business within days, and the cleanup began within hours once the water receded. There were even places I know of that ran "business as usual" during the storm a block or two inland.

Because it's nestled in a bay and surrounded by mountains on the east and south ends, it enjoys natural protection from most every tropical storm and hurricane that comes by in the Pacific. They'll get some rain, some wind, but rarely more than that.

Before Kenna, the last hurricane that hit the area was 50 years ago. I think you'll be just fine.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re: HURRICANE IN VALLARTA?

Post by Plus4 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:24 am

bananaboat wrote:I´m wondering, is there a possibility of a hurricane in PV these months? I`ll be there by late july..
I would never say never that another Hurricane will not hit PV again.

The waves that hit the Resorts were..BIG waves.
Pictures can speak better than words. :)

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/c ... ta%202002/

Our Resort did not take the warnings of Kenna seriously.
The one lesson I learned from Kenna is that when we travel we take full responsibility for ourselves.
It is easy when on vacation to let ones guard down. Who wants to listen to the news? I do not trust the word of travel reps and Resort managers anymore either.
We have family and friends in Canada who watch the news when we travel and they know if a Hurricane or large storm is headed where we are...Call us please! :)

Go and enjoy your vacation. I bet you will be OK.
We have been back to Puerto Vallarta 2 times since Kenna.
Last year we back to the Resort we were in during Kenna.
I can hardly wait for next trip to PV. :)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: HURRICANE IN VALLARTA?

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:34 am

Plus4 wrote:
bananaboat wrote:I´m wondering, is there a possibility of a hurricane in PV these months? I`ll be there by late july..
I would never say never that another Hurricane will not hit PV again.

The waves that hit the Resorts were..BIG waves.

Our Resort did not take the warnings of Kenna seriously.
The one lesson I learned from Kenna is that when we travel we take full responsibility for ourselves.

Like JB said it was the storm surge that hit PV, not the Hurricane itself. The morning that Kenna was passing PV the police were out keeping people off the streets, this probably kept us from losing our boat. My partner tried to get down to the boat to secure it with more lines but the police would not let him out on the street. The stern line broke and actually allowed the boat to ride the waves , luckily the anchor and bow lines held and kept it from being slammed against anything. Had it been secured with more lines it probably would have been sunk by the waves.

I don't think the town or the resorts were guilty of not taking the warnings seriously, PV by history just doesn't get Hurricanes that often and since the last one was 50 years ago, chances are no one working at the time was working during the last one or even remembered it, so I really believe it was more of a case of being taken by surprise since they most likely had never been through anything like Kenna before.

sandib
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sandib » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks Jennybean, I knew someone would know the actual history. As I stated before, I still consider myself a PV newbie, just for this reason. I was not concerned about the weather as I've never heard of another hurricane besides Kenna. Cant wait to be back in paradise no matter what the weather! :lol: 8) :lol:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 pm

Very many people did take the warnings serious and there were warnings . Schools were closed..The really BIG boats got out of town .
Many Resorts including the Decameron prepared their guests and advised them of the approaching storm and precautions were taken.
6 of us dined at Filipes night before Kenna. Our travel rep was to meet us for an after dinner drink.
Our travel rep lived above Felipes Restaurant. She had a call the night before Kenna from her boss in Canada telling her of the approaching Hurricane.
One of the pictures shows how our travel rep taped up the windows of the living area at Filipes in preparation for the storm. We were the last ride for our taxi driver Thurs night before Kenna...he was on his way home to prepare for the approaching storm.
The night before Kenna I told our manager what our travel rep had said about the approaching storm and he brushed me off and said the storm would not come and we were safe!
There were many British at our Resort. Their rep knew of the approaching storm and yet most of the British travelers never even heard the word Hurricane or major storm.. They were told the rain would stop and to carry on.
For most Kenna is a memory for others it affected their lives for a very long time.
4 years later some of the British are just getting their day in court now.
One lady was injured and suffered for months. She could not work for a long period of time.
Her days in court came this past June 29th and 30th. I was more than happy to be a witness in this case.(through scanning and email to her solicitor )It is people like her that are willing to fight the big travel companies who make things better for everyone else that travels . I admire her courage and hope she wins her case.

Hurricane Kenna is now a part of Puerto Vallarta. I am sure :lol: every once and awhile the topic will come up.

Quote:
Cant wait to be back in paradise no matter what the weather!

Hear Hear !! Bottoms up.. :D Cheers!

jjbcroft
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by jjbcroft » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:23 am

Awsome pictures, Sylvia! If that was "just" a storm surge, I wouldn't want to imagine the full force of a hurricane on our beloved PV!

jj

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks jjbcroft
The fellow that took most of the pictures was someone we met the week of Kenna. Big Bill and his wife have become family and live in my home city Saskatoon.
An ex British Judge who I think could be a photographer . His pics of Puerto Vallarta sunsets are wonderful .
The pictures were a gift for to me to do as I wish with them.
No pictures were taken at the height of the storm.

I just want to say we just about lost BB a month ago . Thankfully he will be OK and our next trip to Puerto vallarta hopefully will be with BB and his wife..(and others :) )