Tipping and a ? about web cam

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Kate41
Tipping and a ? about web cam

Post by Kate41 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:06 pm

Greetings!
My sister and I are coming to PV on the 15th. We are staying at an All Inclusive. My question regards tips. I know they are "Included" but I prefer to leave more. Should I tip on a daily basis ? I guess what I am looking for is feedback as to what is more appreciated by the staff ? Would they prefer a big tip at the begining or the end or a little as you go? Also should we tip in Pesos or American Dollars? We are sooooo looking forward to this trip! I will be having my birthday there and can't think of a better place to celebrate! (On a side note where is the Web cam located? It seems to change directions all the time. I told my co workers I would find it at a certain time and wave...LOL)
Kate

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Re:Tipping and a ? about web cam

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:29 pm

Hi Kate41, I would suggest you tip on a daily basis- you never know when staff might be off or whatever. The other benefit is they will recognize and appreciate the $ and you will get that little extra special treatment. Tipping in pesos is more helpful to the workers as it saves them from going to exchange booths. Just remember foreign coins are useless in Mexico only paper currency is convertable to pesos.
The webcam is located on top of the Rosita Hotel (near the start of the Malecon). Mogens (our hardworking host) can change and controls the webcam from his offices in Guadalajara - isn't technology amazing ?

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:33 pm

i doubt even if u locate the webcam that you'll be able to wave, i mean u can, but nobody will see u everything/one looks pretty small on the web cam view. it sucks totally!

jamesw
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jamesw » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:20 pm

melis (Oct 10, 2004 01:33 p.m.):
i doubt even if u locate the webcam that you'll be able to wave, i mean u can, but nobody will see u everything/one looks pretty small on the web cam view. it sucks totally!
considering it is the only one in PV, saying that it sucks is kinda harsh, don't you think??
It is better than nothing. I for one, am happy to have it available.

for those of you that enjoy the webcam, go here, it is a larger version of the webcam site

http://www.puertovallarta.net/interacti ... /index.php

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:01 pm

I think melis was saying that because people appear so small on the webcam because of where it's located (high up above the sand/surf), THAT'S what sucked, not that the webcam itself sucked.

Anyway, for the OP: DO tip for good service! Absolutely! At the AI's the "included tips" that are supposedly part of your package price are split amongst everyone from the waiters down to the staff who wash the linens, so your tips would be pretty diluted - providing they actually MAKE it to the staff (that's speculation on my part, but I feel pretty strongly they don't see a cent). So if you have waiters and maids who do a wonderful job for you while you're there, please tip them. The weekly wage for workers in PV is not very high, so your tips do help. I always tip in pesos, as USD must be exchanged, which can be hard for them to do regularly considering their jobs and the bank hours (not to mention the line ups). Pesos benefit them immediately.

susana

Post by susana » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:53 pm

I leave a tip for the room maids daily. Because they might rotate rooms or have a day off, this works best. You could also leave a bit extra on your last day if you want, have had nice service, or gotten to know your maids. I always exchange money or use an ATM and spend in peso in PV. I leave 10 or 20 peso in notes or coins on the unmade bed each day, works well.

gis7366
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by gis7366 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:59 pm

Last year, we tipped the maid 20 pesos every day just because it could be a different maid making your bed each day. We would leave the money on the pillow, and we had the best service ever! They would make little animals out of the towels and leave it on the beds :) i thought it was cute...
The only other people we tipped at the hotel were the bartenders...tip them and never have to wait in line for drinks again *lol*

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:02 am

I'm glad to hear from two people who say 10-20 pesos for tipping maids is good. That's what we did...the first night we were there she did up our bed very nicely and left chocolates...we tipped the next morning...never saw anything above or beyond again. No BIG deal (but there were two of us and she only left one chocolate if she left any!LOL) I just thought maybe we were being cheap!? Maybe we were for the hotel we were at. Oh well, doesn't matter. I don't need animal washclothes, I just was afraid we were not tipping enough.

Leigh