Anyone seen Mismaloya Beach in front of La Jolla RECENTELY?

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

captainlu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Anyone seen Mismaloya Beach in front of La Jolla RECENTELY?

Post by captainlu » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm planning a trip to PV in eithr late May or June and need a little help. I'm a huge beach person and can't seem to find out what's going on at Mismaloya Beach. I stayed at Vallarta Palace in 1998 (was then called Siera Nuevo) and visited La Jolla. I really liked their beach but I hear it is not the same. I understand they are trucking sand in. If anyone has seen it recently I would appreciate your thoughts on it. Or if you have a better beach in PV, please let me know.

Thanks to all,

Captain Lu 8)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:09 pm

I was there briefly in February. I too had heard the beach was non-existent but it was larger than I thought it would be but still not a big expanse. Sorry I can't say much more than that - I am not a beach person so didn't look around real good. Beware of the virus problem the former La Jolla de Mismaloya is experiencing. Check out Trip Advisor. The current name is Barcelo.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:47 pm

I have been wondering this same thing. Unfortunately the hurricane really removed a large portion of this beach. I read they did truck in a large amount of sand. I searched around but was unable to locate any photographs of the beach after the renovation. Anyone have any reports?

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:14 pm

zaksam321 wrote:I have been wondering this same thing. Unfortunately the hurricane really removed a large portion of this beach. I read they did truck in a large amount of sand. I searched around but was unable to locate any photographs of the beach after the renovation. Anyone have any reports?
I'll ask my friends who stayed there if they have a picture of the beach. If so, I will post that information here and email the pictures to anyone who wants them. Watch this space....

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:48 pm

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:17 pm

chico98 wrote:playa mismaloya 2005

http://i18.tinypic.com/4idkdtx.jpg
Yeah the beach used to go out WAY farther. In that pic there at the far end where that arch is, is where the beach went to before Kenna. Sadly about 4 restaraunts there were left with no beachfront to work after the storm.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:40 pm

The drop-off/erosion event of Mismaloya beach happened in 2001, the storm surge from hurricane Kenna came into the bay 10/25/2002, the events are not related. The hurricane actually hit shore in San Blas.

Here are some pics of what the storm surge looked like from the condo on Playa Los Muertos. http://travel.webshots.com/album/50571660UjpPzc

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Mismaloya

Post by Jennybean » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Teduardo is correct...the "event" at Mismaloya involved an underwater canyon they determined. Said it was like pulling the plug on a bathtub.

Kenna had nothing to do with it, Kenna came later and hit land at San Blas, as noted. :)

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Really? Thats very interesting. Does anyone have links to any information regarding this erosion event? I would like to learn more about that. Thanks for correcting me.

montyjam
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by montyjam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Ted!

I believe the beach disappeared when a sinkhole developed offshore in Mismaloya.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:41 pm

OK I did some research.

Essentially what happened was the sand accumalated on the edge of an underwater cliff until it reached a critical mass at which point an underwater landslide occurred. This was aggravated by a small hurricane which created a large swell and compounded the problem. The sand will build up again as the river feeds the beach until a point in time where eventually it will theoretically occurr again.

Here is the link.

http://www.cienciasmarinas.com/index.ph ... ew/331/283

You will need to register to read it. Its in both English and Spanish and includes illustrations.

Here are some photos:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4 ... ode=invite

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Erosion events must be more common than most of us know about. The beach outside the condo we stay at had a couple of cement steps from the walkway down to the sand, the storm surge from Kenna lowered the beach by at least 8 feet. But guess what, those two steps turned out to be twelve steps buried by sand and continued all the way down to the new beach level, so obviously it was not the first time it had been that low. When we returned six months later and half the beach was back, a year after the storm it was back to where it had been before the storm.

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:19 am

The hotel recently completed a major beach restoration program that includes the addition of 50 feet of new beach. The additional beach
provides a large and pristine lounging area for guests, as well as an
excellent walking area and view of the sunset
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 176&EDATE=

captainlu
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by captainlu » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:35 am

Thanks to everyone for all of the useful info. I'll be visitng there next month and will be sure to post some first hand pictures of the beach. Back to PV baby!!!