Huichol Indian tour-adventure

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

elad1019
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Huichol Indian tour-adventure

Post by elad1019 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:42 pm

This apears to be a recently added/new activity. Wondering if anyone has gone on the land or air trip to the Huichol Indian village and their thoughts ? intersting ? met expectations ? recommend ?

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Huichol Indian tour-adventure

Post by pvdeb » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:44 pm

I took a land tour with Harris Tours Oct. '01. I'm a little nervous about small planes, so chose this one even though it was a very long day (picked up at 7:30am and didn't return to hotel until 11pm). Trip is via a/c motorcoach and goes into the mountains NE of Tepic. There was a box lunch provided and one rest stop on the trip up (about 3 hours). Our guide was a woman who's lived in the PV area for nearly 20 years and is extremely knowledgeable about the Huicholes and filled us full of information about their culture on the way. We left the bus at the Aguamilpas Dam and boarded small motorized boats (pangas) for about a 20 min. trip across the lake to the foot of a mountain. We climbed a small hill and overlooked the Huichol village and put our cameras away. We were instructed that photos are not allowed in the village, as it's against their spiritual beliefs. All in our group respected that. Our guide taught us the Huichol words for "hello" and "thank you" and it was fun to speak to the children and listen to their giggles (they also learn Spanish in their school). We toured the school and enjoyed freshly made tortillas made on a stone grill. We visited the "kitchen" of a Huichol family (a stone building, they sleep in huts on stilts) and ate wonderful Indian corn on the cob prepared by the family. The part that I really enjoyed was at the end, the families set up a "market" of all their beautiful beaded and yarn artwork and handicrafts. As a collector, I picked up several unique items and was glad that the money was going directly to the families/village, instead of through a middleman. The whole experience was like walking into another world, where the people live so primitively and have no need or desire for material things. Their entire existence is based around their spiritual beliefs and ceremonies. On the trip back to PV, we stopped in Tepic for a very good dinner at a nice hotel, had a little time for shopping and then most slept on the bus trip back to PV. The excursion was everything I'd hoped for and definitely worth the time and money. The tours that go by air, I believe, go to a village closer to PV, but the difference in land travel time and the trip by air is due to the remoteness of the villages.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:11 pm

Hola pvdeb! Out of curiosity, would the lady leading the tour be a German lady by the name of Freda? Pls. let me know. Thanks.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:45 pm

Yes Bob, I'm sure it's the same person you're talking about...Elfreida (sic?), German-Canadian, lives in Bucerias and has/had a shop called Mexican Treasures. I tried to go by there on a subsequent trip to Bucerias, but it was closed. Elfreida loves the Huichol Indians so much and it was evident in her wealth of knowledge about their culture and seeing her interact with them at the village. It was probably the most interesting cultural thing I've ever done.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:58 pm

Hi pvdeb. I sure hope nothing has happened which resulted in her closing her shop.

Last year, when Barb & I were in Bucerias we looked up her shop and she was just about to close for a while in the afternoon (about 1:30 - 2:00) for "siesta". We introduced ourselves, said "hola" on behalf of some of her Canadian acquaintances then proceeded to spend 3 hours in her shop! Once you get her wound up on the Huichols - there's no stopping her - she is absolutely passionate about them.

She has an upstairs gallery in her store that's totally devoted to the Huichols - some of the artifacts are for sale; some not.

Barb ended up single-handedly bolstering the Bucerias financial picture with her purchases downstairs! She has some truly unique items; things you won't find in PV. Barb was in "shopper's heaven".

I indicated I'd like a couple of the Huichol T-Shirts (fantastic multicolour designs and NO writing on them - definitely quality shirts vs. 'souvenirs'). Asked for a large for myself and a medium to take home for a friend. She had the large but indicated she'd have to get the medium the next day and asked where we were staying; committed to deliver the shirt to me next day. Sure enough, came up from the beach next day, message light was on, package at the front desk for us.

Just a super lady and so knowledgable; she obviously loves what she does.

If you're near her store again in future, please keep checking in and let us know if she's still in business; would be a big loss if she wasn't. Believe her last name is Gaerhart.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:51 am

I don't think her business is "closed" closed. I think it may have just been during a "siesta" or other reason she couldn't be there. In fact, it may have been a Thurs., which is the day she takes the tour to the Huichol village. I didn't think about it at the time. I'd heard she had some really unusual things in her shop and of course wanted to see what she had in Huichol art also. I'm sure I'll make it back there some day and spend my fair share.

But for anyone interested in the Huichol tours, I don't think you'll find anyone anymore knowledgeable and yes, passionate than Elfreida.

janzee

Post by janzee » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:44 am

Hola PVDeb,
This sounds very interesting and very educational. I'm going to PV with my two teenage boys the week of Easter vacation. Just out of curiousity how did you book this trip and how much did it cost USD?
Thanks,
Janice

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:45 am

Sorry, didn't see your post till today. This trip is through Harris Tours. At the time, I was on a package deal staying at Playa Los Arcos and my package included a local tour rep who came to the hotel every day. I booked the tour through him, but I'm sure you could book through your hotel, or call Harris Tours direct. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, but I want to say approx. $85US. It was a VERY LONG day, though, just due to the travel distance, but it's one of the best things I've ever done.