Huichols tour

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lors
PV Fan
PV Fan
Huichols tour

Post by lors » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:01 pm

Thanks t the both of you for the response. I have been able to book a reservation for this tour. We are really looking forward to this to this tour. Just one more question.....what kinds of art do these people make? is there any wood or rock art? We are thinking of bringing the people some tools for this type of thing????

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:Huichols tour

Post by pvdeb » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:54 am

Lors, the Huicholes are known for their artwork involving different shapes of clay or wood covered with tiny beads, forming designs that are inspired by the hallucinogenic (sic?) dreams the shamans see under the influence of peyote. They also do yarn "paintings" with the same designs, all of which mean specific things in the Huicholes' earth-based beliefs. I have begun collecting mostly the beaded artwork, but also have a couple of yarn pieces, which I bought directly in the Huichol village I visited. I believe the tour Mogens linked to is a different one than I went on, but on either one you should be able to buy crafts directly from the Indians. I liked this as I knew the money was going directly to the families and not to some middleman. They only accepted pesos, so be sure you have plenty if you intend to make purchases. Running out of pesos is all that kept me from buying much more than I did that day. I hope you enjoy the tour and report back to us when you return.

lors
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lors » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:22 pm

Thanks pvdeb for the info. We have booked our tour and we are really looking forward to it. I will definatley be buying some of their beadwork. Approx how much $$$$ should I count on spending..sort of a price range for most of their arts. I know this is a difficult question, but with your experience their hopefully you can give me a round about answer.
Thanks
lors

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am

Lors, I really pounded my old brain trying to remember how much I spent on artwork when I was in the village and honestly can't remember, but I'll guess it was in the neighborhood of $40 or $50US, but I bought several different things. The larger the piece and more beading on it, the more it will cost, obviously. Small pieces like prayer bowls, egg-shaped ornaments, animal shapes and such will run from $4-$8, Larger pieces with more work can run more, I think I paid $8 for a yarn-covered gourd done by the shaman of the village. The most I spent for one purchase was a pair of Huichol costumed dolls, with intricate embroidery and much detailing and I think it was about $18. You can bargain a little but honestly I thought the items were so reasonable, compared to what they cost in town, that I didn't do too much bargaining. They had so many different things, many items that would make inexpensive gifts for people back home. Good luck. Deb

lors
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lors » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:18 am

Deb, ...thanks so much for the info...I waas searching on the internet the other day, and found a few sites that sell the huicholl artwork...beautiful work they do! I found the prices ranged from $30.00 to $800.00....which I am sure is because you have people buying from the Indians and turning around and making a HUGE profit....I myself have no problem paying what the huichol people ask...their work is beautiful. I am sure I will pick up some of this fine art. Once again, thanks for all you help...only 2 more weeks!!!!!!!
Lors