Snorkling trips

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

dralock
Snorkling trips

Post by dralock » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:09 pm

Wondering about some of the tours that take you out snorkling etc. Do they provide flotation devices for you when you are snorkling if you are a so-so swimmer, or if you have young kids who may not have the same endurance level as adults? Do they let 8 & 10 year olds go on these types of tours?

Thanks in advance for any who are able to respond.

BKSxTWO

Re:Snorkling trips

Post by BKSxTWO » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:21 pm

We took a tour through Vallarta Adventures. Had a great time and would recommend it. They have life jackets. You can either wear them around the back of your neck like normal or they suggested putting them around your waist. That way it holds you up nicely on the top of the water. That is what I did and it work beautifully. I don't know about their age limits, but they do have a website. They provided Dramamine (for seasickness), Breakfast, lunch and drinks. After snorkeling they take you to a beach. If you don't want to snorkel they do have kayaks that you can use. It was one of the most fun days that we had in PV. The crew was awesome, we saw a lot of whales and had dolphins swimming along side the boat on the way back.

drlaock

Post by drlaock » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:37 am

Thanks for the info! Just what I wanted to know.

Cheers

tackitikibar
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by tackitikibar » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:07 am

Would like to know what the website is for the Vallarta Adventures. Sounds like it was a good one.

schilzp
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by schilzp » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:18 pm

We are leaving for PV on 4/10 and heard that snorkeling and whale watching are pretty much done by that time ( water is too cloudy and whales are gone). Is that true? We would love to do the tour you mentioned. Would you still recommend it in April? Thanks
BKSxTWO (Mar 05, 2004 12:21 p.m.):
We took a tour through Vallarta Adventures. Had a great time and would recommend it. They have life jackets. You can either wear them around the back of your neck like normal or they suggested putting them around your waist. That way it holds you up nicely on the top of the water. That is what I did and it work beautifully. I don't know about their age limits, but they do have a website. They provided Dramamine (for seasickness), Breakfast, lunch and drinks. After snorkeling they take you to a beach. If you don't want to snorkel they do have kayaks that you can use. It was one of the most fun days that we had in PV. The crew was awesome, we saw a lot of whales and had dolphins swimming along side the boat on the way back.

BKSxTWO

Post by BKSxTWO » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:20 pm

I have never been to PV in April so I can't comment on the water conditions then. Even if the whales are out of the bay it would still be worth it for the snorkeling. I can't imagine the ocean being too murky as you aren't right by the shore.

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:34 pm

quote:
"I can't imagine the ocean being too murky as you aren't right by the shore."

The tides and the conditions in the bay change constantly, some days the water is clearer than other days due to this. Contray to the above quote, the majority of the good snorkling is found at spots just off shore. The places you would hit murky conditions right off shore would be where the rivers run into the ocean. If it is snorkling you are interested in than I would suggest renting a private boat and you will not be limited to the 30 minutes of snorkling time allowed on the tour boats. A private boat will give you the flexibility to go where the water is clearer that day and also have the option of snorkling more than one area. If you would like more information email me.

obxrn2001
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by obxrn2001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:34 pm

katnsocal (Apr 03, 2004 04:34 p.m.):
quote:

The tides and the conditions in the bay change constantly, some days the water is clearer than other days due to this. Contray to the above quote, the majority of the good snorkling is found at spots just off shore. The places you would hit murky conditions right off shore would be where the rivers run into the ocean. If it is snorkling you are interested in than I would suggest renting a private boat and you will not be limited to the 30 minutes of snorkling time allowed on the tour boats. A private boat will give you the flexibility to go where the water is clearer that day and also have the option of snorkling more than one area. If you would like more information email me.
I would love more info o renting a private boat for snorkling. I am arriving April 24 for a one week stay and would love to go snorkling. I have seen many reviews and info regarding these trips but there are so many I have a hard time deciding which would be best. First timer to PV, too.
Thanks
Cathi

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:59 pm

Hi Cathi,

We just went snorkeling Thursday out of Mismaloya to Los Arcos. A private Panga cost 300 pesos per hour (there were 4 of us) which includes the guide. We went snorkeling for an hour around Los Arcos (just like an aquarium) and for a sight seeing tour for an hour to some beautiful beaches.

Our guide's name was Isreal, He was very knowlegable and speaks pretty good english. He has lived in Mismaloya all his life and knows the area. Ask for him when you get to the beach. His brother works at one of the beach bars, they make a great team.

Feel free to email me if I you have more questions.

obxrn2001
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by obxrn2001 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:45 pm

Thanks a whole bunch. Can't wait to get there!!!!
Cathi

tom

Post by tom » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:24 am

katnsocal (Apr 03, 2004 04:34 p.m.):
quote:

bigdaddy
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bigdaddy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:25 pm

I have been acquainted with Pacific Scuba for several years. While in Puerto Vallarta this past December, I earned my Open Water Certification with them. My instructor, Shai was very good and patient. I have known Lorenzo for several years. He and Leslie are the ones that took my friend, Charles and my son, Patrick out on their dives. Patrick had never dived before. He ended up getting in 4 dives and loved it. Charles wound up doing 5 dives. He has been certified for years and had no complaints about Pacific Scuba. They got all good marks from him. They will work around your schedule as much as they can and it is more customized than the other dive operations I have seen in Puerto Vallarta. If anyone wants more information they may email me and I will help them out. They will pay very close attention to the younger children as well as catering to smaller parties and not like the "cattle call" boats. Give them a try.

doc

Post by doc » Tue May 18, 2004 3:58 pm

Canucker (Apr 04, 2004 01:59 p.m.):
Hi Cathi,

We just went snorkeling Thursday out of Mismaloya to Los Arcos. A private Panga cost 300 pesos per hour (there were 4 of us) which includes the guide. We went snorkeling for an hour around Los Arcos (just like an aquarium) and for a sight seeing tour for an hour to some beautiful beaches.

Our guide's name was Isreal, He was very knowlegable and speaks pretty good english. He has lived in Mismaloya all his life and knows the area. Ask for him when you get to the beach. His brother works at one of the beach bars, they make a great team.

Feel free to email me if I you have more questions.
We will be in puerto vallarta on june 20-27, myself, wife two male children 14 ,10 would like more info on your snorkling adventure.
thx

deeker
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by deeker » Tue May 18, 2004 5:31 pm

Chicos dive shop offers 3 good snorkel trips ......... www.chicosdiveshop.com

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Tue May 18, 2004 7:22 pm

BIGDADDY (Apr 25, 2004 12:25 p.m.):
I have been acquainted with Pacific Scuba for several years. While in Puerto Vallarta this past December, I earned my Open Water Certification with them. My instructor, Shai was very good and patient. I have known Lorenzo for several years. He and Leslie are the ones that took my friend, Charles and my son, Patrick out on their dives. Patrick had never dived before. He ended up getting in 4 dives and loved it. Charles wound up doing 5 dives. He has been certified for years and had no complaints about Pacific Scuba. They got all good marks from him. They will work around your schedule as much as they can and it is more customized than the other dive operations I have seen in Puerto Vallarta. If anyone wants more information they may email me and I will help them out. They will pay very close attention to the younger children as well as catering to smaller parties and not like the "cattle call" boats. Give them a try.
i told connor ( our 10 yr old ) that we would all get our certification for scuba diving the next time in p.v. well this is nov. or dec. so hopefully if we can hook up like we suggested big daddy, we can all go diving. that would be a hoot. i think we have found the shop to go to also. the way you have described it , sound like what we are looking for. thx m.m.