booking in advance

Questions or tips on tours, excursions, ecotourism and activities.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

debsydooda
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
booking in advance

Post by debsydooda » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:20 pm

has anyone booked in advance any trips,? which sights are best to use? or should we wait until we get there? wer'e travelling at easter.be graetful for any help. Debs

shaver
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re:booking in advance

Post by shaver » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:15 pm

debsydooda (Jan 15, 2005 11:20 a.m.):
has anyone booked in advance any trips,? which sights are best to use? or should we wait until we get there? wer'e travelling at easter.be graetful for any help. Debs
I don't know of any sites but If I were you I would check as it is very busy in PV over Easter all of the Nationals flock to the beach and some activities and places are closed so that they may enjoy Easter with their families.

ellenl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ellenl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:37 pm

I booked online with Vallarta Adventures, about two months in advance. Got a 10% discount and had no problems at all. I booked two different excursions and both were GREAT!!!
Ellen

ndnqueen

Post by ndnqueen » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:16 pm

im leaving in feb and my travel agent sed not to buy in advance but rather buy off vendors at the beaches..its way cheaper and she also sed not to pay unitl after your tour/activity was done... and that if you wanted way better service at your hotel to pack old clothes and kids stuff for the maids...it seems like a good idea to me i would much rather help someone out who needed it than not...

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Your travel agent is incorrect. Even the local tourism department says NOT to buy tickets from beach vendors as many are not authorized and some sell fake tickets. Also, you must pay for the tour before you embark...that is with all tours.

debsydooda
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by debsydooda » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:37 pm

thanks everyone
I'll definitly check and see how busy everything is and probably book in advance with vallarta excursions. any recommended trips?

debsydooda
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by debsydooda » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:38 pm

I mean vallarta adventures.

ndnqueen

Post by ndnqueen » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:16 am

bzy1inpv (Jan 16, 2005 05:10 p.m.):
Your travel agent is incorrect. Even the local tourism department says NOT to buy tickets from beach vendors as many are not authorized and some sell fake tickets. Also, you must pay for the tour before you embark...that is with all tours.
reaslly? oh my gosh! i dont know what to do now lol!!! she seemed like she knew what she was talking about! sed she had been there lots of times!!! hahaha maybe i am just too naive lol....

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:33 am

ndnqueen,
My advice was to save you the expense of buying a fake ticket off the beach which happens here especially in high season. I do not post things for the hell of it, but to help you have a better vacation. If I can find the advisory online from the Puerto Vallarta tourism department I will post it, but it clearly warns to not buy tickets off the beach as they have had many reports of people getting ripped off.

I worked for almost two years for a major Vallarta Travel agency and website as the Editor in Chief. I know all about the tour biz here, as well as the problems. So, you know, authorized legit ticket sellers have websites like this one, or have an agency. Unless you know what the license looks like to sell on the beach, and what the tickets look like, you are fair game from someone who has fake tickets or a stolen ticket book.

I traveled here 13 times over 5 years before moving here permanently in 2002. I work here as a hotel manager, read the English and Spanish newspapers to keep up with everything, and I write for some newspaper here. I pretty much live and breath Vallarta, and post on this site to help all people coming here get the best out of their vacation. The things I know about I post about, to be helpful and to give accurate information.

ndnqueen

Post by ndnqueen » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:52 am

i thank you for your advice lol... i was just saying maybe i was to naive listening to my travel agaent...haha trying to save a buck lol...thank you gracias

Katnsocal

Post by Katnsocal » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:07 am

Don't crucify all of the vendors with a blanket statement like they all rip you off. Some of the nicest, most honest, hardworking people I have met in PV are beach vendors. There are good and bad everywhere in this life. Of course the hotels and travel agents will tell you to never purchase from beach vendors because they have activities offices that make commission off of you.

The vendors who are legitimate will have a permit with the picture on it and a current year's date. Ask them to see it, they will not have a problem showing it to you. Most of the vendors work the same area all the time and make money off of return customers. They protect their area for the most part to keep their customer base and thus their income.

Most of the phoney tickets sold are ripped off from timeshare hotels and sold my timeshare reps. trying to make a few extra $$$$ on the side. They will no have a permit and they will not be wearing all white as the vendors are required to do. Beware of the vendors who come up to you in a group and try to sell to you, they are more likely to rip you off than the single person is.

And remember if you have asked and gotten basically the same price from several and all of the sudden you get someone who is gonna give you a much better deal, you usually get what you pay for and cheaper isn't always better!

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:30 am

Hi Kat:)
I am not crucifying beach vendors in general, you know that;)
(Kat and I are friends BTW)
I know many beach vendors are very legit, the problem is is that recently, there have been fake tickets being issued and people being ripped off, and while both you and I know many vendors who are legit, most new comers do not. You know what the license looks like, but most people do not.

If the new 1000 pesos notes are being conterfeited, how easy are tour tickets?

There was recently an article in the local news about fake tickets and these were being sold outside of the Marina and on the beach in front of hotels. I already heard of at least five people who gave deposits and when they arrived for the tour, the tour company denied them for having fake passes. On average, each person lost $20 US.

Here is a paragraph from the local English newspaper PVMIRROR (Who is not selling tickets/passes):

VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT buy excursion tickets from anyone other than your own tour rep, travel agency or someone who can show you their accreditation to sell such tickets! Many unsuspecting tourists have found that their "tickets" were useless when they showed up at the Port to take such an excursion.

From another site: Port Authorities are once again issuing warnings to all tourists to be careful when purchasing
tickets for cruises around the Bay. They recommend tickets be bought through recognized travel
agencies or their reps, at the Port itself, or at the hotel where they are staying. Purchasers of
tickets from non-accredited vendors may find that the tickets are bogus when they go for the cruise.

Anyway, I am not knocking beach vendors, but I am warning people and giving them a heads-up to to a problem happening right now. Better safe than sorry!

Katnsocal

Post by Katnsocal » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:05 am

Hi Bzy1,
I understand what you are saying about better safe than sorry. My whole point was I think what often times happens when people are looking for information. They read the first few sentences till they get the info they are looking for and then stop before reading whatever it is in its entirety .
For years the hotels have been telling their guests "do not buy from the vendors on the beach, they will rip you off." It just makes it real hard for the legitimate vendor to get anyone to trust them. They get labeled as the people that rip the tourists off." I would venture a guess that probably at least 95% of those phoney cruise tickets are not be sold by "the beach vendors" but rather by "pirates" walking the beach when the inspectors are not around.

That being said, it does not help the people who unknowingly purchase the tickets and give deposits for an activity to someone that takes off with their money and they get left holding a worthless ticket. Hopefully they will get a handle on it quickly, no one but the bad guy wins in this situation, here's hoping they can catch the whole operation soon.

old hokie fan

Post by old hokie fan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:14 pm

I booked to excursions yesterday from Vallarta Adventures website. The prices there was as good as it gets with the 10% discount for booking on line. I booked from work and by the time I got home last night I had the confirmation numbers and details on my home email. It was fast and now when we get to PV that's one last thing we have to worry about. Depending on the tour you chose, some on the board say they fill up fast.

ndnqueen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ndnqueen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:40 pm

decisions decisions!!!! well i guess that with all the info its a hard decision to make. we are form canada so paying online with our credit cards costs us lots of money....if thats in american dollars... guess i will wait til i get to pv before i buy anything form vendors or not!!! thanks for the info everyone!!!!

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:29 am

This site has tours online for reservations, so give it a shot and help keep Mogens site going. :)

The tours are the same in pesos or US dollars. The prices for Vallarta Adventures are at 11 pesos to the dollar, so in the end it works out the same. Your card will be charged in pesos through Vallarta Adventures, then your credit card company converts it to CDN or US whatever your home countries form of currency is.