Playa Los Arcos vs. Buenaventura

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Playa Los Arcos vs. Buenaventura

Post by KVR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:12 pm

We are planning a trip to PV for my 40th birthday the 3rd week of April, 2008. We have not been to PV before, but have been to Caribbean/Mexico several times and wanted to try something new.

Our critiera for this trip was adults only, AI, and close to downtown for shopping, resturants, bars and entertainment. However, after researching several places including Premier Villa, Crown Paradise, Barcelo de Jolla Mismolya, and Dreams, the Playa Los Arcos and Buenaventura seem to come the closest.

We have relinquished adults only. However, we do not want a hotel that is party central, spring breakish, overly crowded or full of children/too family friendly. We decided that location is the main prioroity, so must be in the downtown area close to/within walking distance to resturants and bars. We want AI soley for breakfast, some lunches, snacks and unlimited drinks. Plan to go out for dinners/evening entertainment, so don't want to pay a high price for a AI hotel. Would also like a hotel with a really great pool with a swim-up bar and an on-site spa. Not too interested in the beach this trip.

Would either one of these hotels fit? and if not, is there another hotel that is recommended instead? Thanks for any help.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Hotels

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm

I don't believe PLA has a spa. Pool is bigger/better at the Buenaventura. Both are considered quite family friendly so there is always a chance of kids. The smaller pool area at the PLA guarantees more close proximity to them. Again, this is dependent on whether families are on vacation time (not as likely in 2008 because Easter is late March).

Neither lists a swim up bar as an amenity, and from walking around poolside at PLA I know for sure they don't have one (unless they've built one in the last 12 months, although I'm sure I would have heard about that).

All this said - PLA is IMO in the better location to shopping and good dining options. Buenaventura is walking distance to the Malecon area downtown but the PLA is right on the beach on the south side.

Frankly, the only difference I see between the two other than location is pool - and the pool at the Buenaventura is better, not to mention gets far more sun.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:40 pm

I agree with Jennybean. I have stayed at both hotels and really liked them both but would choose PLA because of the location. Neither has a swim-up bar, though. The pool at the Buenaventura gets way more sun, if that's important to you. The layout of PLA is kind of like a horseshoe with the pool in the middle so at some point during the day you lose alot of the sun from the shadows created by the sides of the buildings. I prefer that because I don't like to bake. The beach area is waaaaay nicer at PLA. The beach at the Buenaventura is rocky and just not very nice. PLA is on the southside, which has a different ambiance that many of us prefer. Whichever one you choose will be fun in it's own way.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 am

i would stay at the los arcos. on your 40th, you can stumble home from andales and be back in your room in less than a minute, cafe de olla is right around the corner, and you'll be right at the pier if you want to water taxi to yelapa.

edlin68
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by edlin68 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:35 am

i agree! PLA is a great location and close to all the fun bars and restaraunts.
i do like the pool at beunaventura!

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. After more research we chose the Playa Los Arcos. It's not everything we are looking for, but fits close enough. The location is what eventually sold us.

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Now, after more research we are thinking about Dreams. Any input on this hotel?

michellei88
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Dreams/PLA

Post by michellei88 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:41 am

i have stayed at this hotel many, many times. it is beautiful. every room is on the ocean. the pool is great with a swim up bar the beach is lovely and not a public beach, so it's guests only. the only draw back is that you have to take a cab every where.but that really isn't a big deal. i love the place. the food and bar are very good also. we stayed at PLA in july and had a ball. it is definatley not as nice as dreams but, you get what you pay for. it is quaint , very nice staff, and great for walking everywhere and being right in "the mix" food is so, so etc. but we would definately stay there again

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the input. After more research we think that PV isn't the right destination for us for my birthday. All the really nice AI hotels that we are interested in are too far away from the actual town. DH is now concerned that the beaches aren't as nice like in the Caribbean. We might consider PV on a differnt trip for a long weekend in the future. So we'll either go back to Jamaica or Cancun or try Curacao since we really enjoyed Aruba.

michellei88
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

to kvr

Post by michellei88 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:14 pm

have you been to play del carmen? 50 miles south of cancun..........absolutley our favorite we go every year before pv. AI is he way to go...........you won't be disappointed i promise!!!

DELETED

Re: to kvr

Post by DELETED » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:00 pm

DELETED

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: to kvr

Post by KVR » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:30 pm

mexibeach wrote:
michellei88 wrote:have you been to play del carmen? 50 miles south of cancun..........absolutley our favorite we go every year before pv. AI is he way to go...........you won't be disappointed i promise!!!
Yes we have and we love it. Returning in 2 weeks. We're staying at the Royal Playa del Carmen, which is the type of hotel I was looking for in PV that obviously doesn't exsist. We haven't been to Cancun since 2002 and so much has changed, so we will definatley return, but not sure for a birthday trip. We are really looking for something special for a milestone birthday.

AI in PV is much much different than AI in the Mayan.....
Yes, I'm figuring that out. It's really too bad.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Kelly I am sorry you have chosen not to visit Puerto Vallarta..

Just my humble :)
The AI Resorts in Cancun are what keep me away from there..
Puerto Vallarta is so much more than beach...clear blue water and Resorts..
Puerto Vallarta has a life of its own.. The people are wonderful..
Puerto Vallarta still has the old world charm ..
For our Christmas vacation I have been searching places like Cancun... Manzanillo ...mazatlan :P Cuba... Dominican etc..
I just keep comparing the places to PV and they just seem not have to offer what I (we) are looking for..

Kelly have you checked out the Fiesta American.. Our friends smitty and his wife stayed there... Very nice rooms and the Resort looked lovely..Smitty can tell you more about the place if you like..
It is only 2 ? miles from downtown.. Easy bus ride...cheap cab fare...long walk...

Wherever you decide to have your BDay Vacation may it be a good one and many more to come... :)

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:24 pm

[quote]AI in PV is much much different than AI in the Mayan.....

Yes, I'm figuring that out. It's really too bad.

[quote]

And thank goodness it's NOT like the Mayan Riviera. PV is SO much more than AI's, pampering and white beaches. For people that want that, go far it...other side of Mexico. Just leaves more room for those of us that appreciate the people, culture and atmosphere of Mexico that fortunately is still found in PV.
Last edited by pvdeb on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:37 pm

Been to Jamaica (i can spend two weeks in PV for the price of one week in Jamaica) five times to Sandals Resorts in Montego Bay... wonderful beach, great Caribbean waters etc, but can't leave the resorts at night, can't walk the streets at night after a visit to Andales...

No desire for the Cancun side, would rather go to Miami or Vegas... actually not, but that is what a lot of people compare it too...

Vallarta is a wonderful city still filled with life and vitallity. The people really make this a place you can call home away from home... really and truly... then you have the culture, the night life, the young and the old enjoying all her charms... you really and truly can't ask for much more.... and sand is sand in my opinion, still gets caught in the crack of your, and takes forever to get out... HA HA HA HA

KVR
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by KVR » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:43 pm

Syliva,

I went to your web-site and found some really nice info on PV. Loved all the links to various pictures. We really haven't made a final decision yet since we still have 8 months to go. I think I will get a better preceptive after our trip to Playa.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks KVR :)
Drop in and visit us here over the next 8 months..I think by the time you make your final desion you will be sold on Puerto Vallarta.. :)