Can't decide between GCP or Melia PV

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Tammy101
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Can't decide between GCP or Melia PV

Post by Tammy101 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm new here, and this is the first time I'm going to PV. I'm thinking of stayting at the GCP but not so sure of this resort after reading so many bad reviews in Trip Advisor forum. The second resort I'm thinking of staying at is the Melia Puerto Vallarta. Can someone help me decide which is better in terms of food, service, facilities, beach, views, location...etc.? Which one has better star rating (or are they comparable)?

I'm thinking of going in early September, will I be rained-in everyday?

Mr. Crown and/or Mrs. Crown, where can I see the pictures you took at the resorts?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Tammy

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Are you sure you never made this post to see if you can get a fight going between Tom and me? HAHA.

I hear lots of good things about the GCP from Tom, however our choice has always been the Melia. Great food, service, rooms, beautiful gardens, the whole nine yards. Since your choice is either of the two, I am assuming that since the GCP is adults only, you would not have your kids along. If that is the case, then you would have to decide whether you are wanting to go to a place where there will be lots of children. The Melia welcomes children, and makes it especially enjoyable for them.

Both places are comparable when it comes to some things including price. Both have crappy beaches, lots of vendors on the beaches bugging you, (which can actually be enjoyable for awhile), and loud music near the pool. Both have good restaurants, (Melia has one large buffet and some side full service restaurants) use real glasses at the bar, and have somebody in the place trying to hook you on some sort of time share presentation, (but they are done with a little bit of class).

Just my humbles...

Good Luck on your ultimate choice...I doubt if you will be disappointed either way.

Tammy101
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tammy101 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi Ronald, thanks for your reply! [hello]

From what you said, both are very much alike, I might opt for the adults only resort then. My b/f is treating me to PV for my birthday in September, so the GCP might be a little more romantic I suppose?

Oh one more thing, I will be buying my vacation package leaving from Toronto; my b/f will be buying his package leaving from San Francisco (yeah long distance relationship). Since we have to buy 2 packages from 2 different sites (selling from different tour operators), we'll end up having 2 rooms. Do you think the hotel can combine the 2 rooms to give us an upgraded room (ie: a honeymoon suite)? :lol: Tom, do you have your connection to help us out? :-)9

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Packages

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 pm

If he's booking you from two different cities I might recommend he use a travel agent instead of doing it himself. Otherwise I suspect you are going to wind up either paying twice as much on two separate packages (air/hotel) because you'll be paying in essence a single supplement. Or booking a second entire package for nothing.

If he uses a live travel agent, the agent can work out the best possible way to get you both on a flight and booked into the same room instead of booking two separate packages altogether and forking over unnecessary costs. The agent has options to be able to book the flights from different cities that booking yourself wouldn't be available.

For that alone it's worth the commission in this case, IMO.

tojol57

Oh My

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Ok just for the record, Ronald if you and i were going to have a fight, it would be over who buys the next round dude... you know i respect your insight on the Melia, as well as you respect my insights on the GCP... now that being said....

First off, I agree totally with Jennybean... before you get out there too far, get with a travel agent and have them coordinate with Airlines and the resort, whether you got Toronto to PVR and he goes SF to PV and meet at the resort under one room name or joint names (that way if you come in at 5 pm and he gets in at 1 pm... then there wouldn't be any confusion that way... or you have the travel agent connect you in lets say Phoenix and then fly the rest of the route down there... something to seriously think about...

now for my BLASTING of that other board... you have to remember some people go to another country like Mexico and think every thing should be just like back home, all their favorite beers (Bud Light, Miller Lite, Budweiser, etc etc etc) these are all imports... the chefs try to mix up the menues the best they can to keep it interesting, tasty, economical, and meet the needs of the guests... some people think that because it is all-inclusive that you should be PORKING out at every meal. Some of these people just have no clue... and then the star system or points system in Mexico is different than it is in Canada or USA... Lorrie and I would have been back to this resort 12 times over the last 10 yrs if is was as bad as everybody on TA says it is. We have been to the white glove treatment of Sandals Resorts in Jamaica... and we loved it in Jamaica, but when i can come to this resort for two wonderful weeks in February every year for the price of one week in Jamaica, i know where my bang for the buck is going... When you read those reviews over on TA, and have been monitoring them and reading them weekly and notifying the resort on what is being said, you have to take them with tongue in cheek... the go on and on about how the liked this or that, loved this or that, and then totally railed on food, or booze, or music... DUH...

Let me know if there is anything i can do for you and your BF...

thanks for your inquiries of these two wonderful resorts... and granted i have never stayed at the melia, but i trust ronald whole heartedly...

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 am

Tom & Lorrie- Isaw on TA that the honeymoon rooms and suites were not supposedly available after 12/31-whats the info??

For the original poster, I would suggest one person making reservations for the both of you at the GCP and each making there airline reservations separately. Maybe I am missing something here?

I am traveeling with my daughters in Nov to the GCP, one will arrive before the rest of us, I know she will be able to use the facilities until we all formally get there and get our rooms, she will have reservation confirmatin with her.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:36 pm

mhahn wrote:Tom & Lorrie- Isaw on TA that the honeymoon rooms and suites were not supposedly available after 12/31-whats the info??

Hey there, when in November are you going down.... as for the honeymoon suites, they could be totally booked with them... i know i have mine booked for February 2008, as i have been conversing with them on that one... so as for 12/31 i am not sure... i will check with Leaslie and Lorena here shortly... they could be up for some maintenance and overhalls, painting, jacuzzi's updated, etc.... it is hard to say... but i could not find the comments on TA... but i will do some more digging....

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:42 am

We already have our room booked (1502 or 1703) from Dec 30-Jan 6, but there was a poster on TA that just got back and reported those rooms would not be available after 12-31- not really concerned about our Dec trip but we will be headed back to PV the end of Feb and early Mar- we will both be retired so we plan to go while the going is good! In Nov I will be there on an all girls trip from the 1-6.

See if your "contacts" have any info and pass on when you get a chance.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:07 pm

mhahn wrote:We already have our room booked (1502 or 1703) from Dec 30-Jan 6, but there was a poster on TA that just got back and reported those rooms would not be available after 12-31- not really concerned about our Dec trip but we will be headed back to PV the end of Feb and early Mar- we will both be retired so we plan to go while the going is good! In Nov I will be there on an all girls trip from the 1-6.

See if your "contacts" have any info and pass on when you get a chance.

working on it as we speak... i wrote them last night, so hopefully this morning after the managers meeting they will be getting back to me, and i will let you all know what is happening with the honeymoon suites....

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:39 am

what is happening with the honeymoon suites....
working on it as we speak... and i will let you all know what is happening with the honeymoon suites....
Hurry up Tom. Inquiring minds want to know..... Suspense is killing us.

PS: If I was you I'd upsell them to the Rosita's honeymoon suites. Advantages include street noise that covers up the sound of bed springs, proximity to the Malecon for those to tired to walk great distances, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetable vendors for those people who have such poor eyesite that they couldn't read this last section.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 pm

good one ronald... love the yellow subliminal messages too...

have a good one...

Tammy101
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tammy101 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks everyone for your kind advice and feedback, I appreciate your help very much. I did contact the travel agent and tried to do the package for myself, land only portion for him, holy cow, it would cost more for him! They say it's how the package was put together, if we take out the airfare, it actually costs more! Anyway, we ended up buying 2 different packages and paid the single supplemental rates, but it was only $200 more for both of us, so the deal is still good. I guess it's the low season in September so they didn't penalize us. Now I'm hoping we can get some kind of an upgraded room when we get there; if it can't be done, we'll have 2 rooms and if he makes me mad, I can kick him back to his room!! hahaa... :lol:

I'm now looking forward to PV so much, hopefully it won't rain the whole week I'm there! :-)9 I'm now reading this board about tours & activities there, so far, the rhythms of the night & Pirates of the bay sound like a must-do for me now, lol, my b/f will have a fit when I add in these extra activities!!! ***-( Well, it is my b-day, I deserve it, right??? [sail]

Btw, I really like this board, everybody is so friendly and helpful. Thanks for your help! [hello]