Holiday Inn drink prices

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master
Holiday Inn drink prices

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:49 am

Anyone know what drink prices are like here? We are staying in the condo and we are not going the all inclusive plans as I think it is $45/person and we want to go out to eat every night. Pretty sure I won't drink $45 worth of drinks a day......or at least not at the Holiday Inn!!

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:47 am

Without knowing your drinking habits, how can we know if you will drink $45.00/day? I will say that you will, for the most part, find drinks costing close to the same as in Canada or the U.S. Chuck... 8)

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:41 pm

Thats fine then. I've just been reading a lot of comments about how expensive the drinks are at some locales.

How much I drink??? Hard to say....I'm almost through two weeks of Christmas holidays and I've had my fair share. I'm a vodka girl and don't drink beer at all which really sucks as you seem to be able to get beer for really cheap!! I've been known to push back quite a few vodka on the rocks or Russo Negroes!! (Sure I spelled that wrong)

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:20 pm

All inclusive is always worth the price for me. If you just eat breakfast, lunch, and drink all day and some in to the night. You will still save money. Imagine $5 a drink x 10 drinks a day, plus breakfast=$10, and lunch=$10. You can still go out to dinner every night and save money.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:23 pm

I wish you could just buy all inclusive drinks. I LOVE to go to all kinds of restaurants, even for breakfast!! Plus, I'll probably eat randomly on the beach or at a taco stand. I guess my thing is I don't like to do the majority of my eating and drinking in one place plus we have a condo rented at the Sea Tower so I'll pick up some fresh bread and veggies and stuff to eat. Probably stick to my original plan. Just haven't found that many comments on the Holiday Inn or the Sea River Tower on this board. I'm guessing it will be all good!!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Drinks

Post by Jennybean » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:05 pm

If you are a vodka drinker, you may want to opt for the AI if it's that cheap. Cocktails vs. Cerveza price differential in resort hotels (especially the chains) is definitive - as noted, you will pay for cocktails close to or in some cases more than at home...not hard to go through $45 a day at anywhere from $4 to $7 a drink plus the tip if you do the math.

You might want to stock your room as a backup too. Cheap to purchase what you need offsite to stock your fridge, and bring a large insulated mug or drinking vessel.

At $45 a day, even if you do nothing but have the occasional drink or snack on site, a breakfast or lunch, etc. it's probably worth it for the days you want to hang around the pool until dinner. :wink:
Last edited by Jennybean on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:08 pm

I guess I'll just decide before I get there. It is more convenient not to have to go and mix your own drinks all the time. Especially if the resort has better liquor on hand.... Decisions, decisions....

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Price

Post by Jennybean » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:11 pm

At $45 a day, don't expect top shelf liquor from the AI. You'll get national brands in most cases, I would bet. You might want to specifically ask for a brand (Smirnoff is usually the most easily accessible brand name vodka outside the national brands)...otherwise I would expect to get Oso Negro (which is gawdawful, even mixed in a sweet drink).

Stock your condo with your vodka of choice and use the AI option for lazy pool days.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:07 am

Sounds good to me - I'm an Absolut gal and the first week I'm at the Royal Decameron where the liquor is definitely not my favorite. Until I decided to stay a second week at a condo I was actually going to bring a blender and my own booze (buy it there) and make my own drinks at the resort. I do love the Royal Decameron but they could definitely stock better liquor.

Thanks! I believe you have confirmed my decision for me!! Besides, I love shopping in local grocer/liquor stores!

Happy New Year!!

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:07 pm

You have probably been there and back by now. The drinks at the HI run $6 and are small. Since you will be in the tower you will receive a 15% off discount card on all food and beverages. You have to show it when you order though, so it is kind of a pain when ordering a drink from the swim up bar. Perhaps you can show it to them before getting into the pool and then they will just put the discount on the bill because they know who you are. You can charge it to your room and pay when you leave. Anyway that makes it more affordable. Nothing better than breakfast from your balcony, enjoying the marvelous view and watching for the dolphins (or whales this time of year). Definitely go out for dinner as the food is not that great at the HI except for the Italian restaurant where you have to make reservations early in the day. Besides, you miss out on so much of what PV is all about if you don't go out. PV is a world class restaurant destination. Lots of great places. I do like to have breakfast at the HI once while I am there. You can also walk to the Peninsula mall and have breakfast at the outdoor crepe place. Very good. Take a walk on the beach (north past the Venetian) up to the river and eat at the little restaurant there. Good, reasonable food, and great for watching the sunset. I don't recommend going AI unless you really drink enough to make it worth your while and you plan on doing nothing but staying at the HI and not venturing out on a regular basis. Have fun!
Last edited by pat on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Maybe Sylvia (Winnepegal1) can help with this as she and Mark stayed there last year. I do know that we had some friends that stayed at the Sheraton and said the drinks and food were so expensive. I think a hamburger, fries, and pop per kid was $25.00 and most of the drinks ran about $8 - $10. The GCP has a pretty good selection of booze. All you have to do is ask. Worse case scenario is they say they don't have it.

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 am

Does anyone know if the bars serve Jack Daniels? $6.00 a drink is really really steep, we will be staying in a condo, and considered doing the Ai for part of our stay, I guess at $6.00 a drink we would save big bucks! thanks for any information

Tator
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Tator » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Even if you stopped at a store and bought some Jack, you would save money on all the Cokes you would mix it with, plus add breakfast, lunch, and the occasional dinner at the resort. STill worth it.