GCP all inclusive

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
GCP all inclusive

Post by carden » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 am

Hi
Just got home from staying 2 weeks at the Golden Crown Paradise AI Adults only,.
My wife and myself first trip to PV.
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and loved PV.
We were disappointed with the GCP all inclusive. Adults only.

This was our first trip and we went for the All Inclusive pkg as an experiment. We are in our mid 40's, no kids and own and operate a restaurant in Canada (Vancouver Island)
We decided to go all Inclusive, and pay the extra to be pampered. Since it was our first visit to PV we thought that we would check out other locations of hotels and condos, apts. For our future trips to PV.
We don't drink perhaps enough to warrant, All Inclusive, so we didn't expect to get our moneys worth in that regard.
The food that we tried in 3 of the Hotels restaurants was far below par. Can you cook a soft poached egg! Or brew a pot of Decafe coffee
I would have expected the breakfasts to be far better than they were.
We actually walked next door to have breakfast there and it was fabulous.
With brewed decafe and soft poached eggs, and the waitor remember us after the 2nd time we ate there.

We ate in the 2nd floor dining room once and had an OK meal. Pork loin for my wife and Beef Tenderloin for myself.

The drinks well, drinks are reasonably priced in most restaurants and bars that we visited.
The beach was great in front of the hotel.
Now, I don't want to rain on anyone’s parade, because there are those that are repeat customers of GCP and Love it and will likely return again.
And with speaking to some people while there they did suggest that the GCP AI is much better than other Hotels.
With that being said, I had expected better and we were disappointed.

Most of the staff was friendly and the room was clean, the bed was very hard but that’s not uncommon for hotel beds.

A side note.There is still construction going on between the Krystal and the GCP and it can be a bit noisy with the heavy equipment. It all depends on what floor and room you are in.

We did eat in many restaurants in PV. And were very impressed with the variety and prices, freshness, service.

The Red Cabbage, Daiquiri Dicks, Cilantros, EL Arrayan, Pie in the sky, Agave Grill, La XI tomatoes, Boca Bento, and a couple others Marcianos (sp) and Panchos Tacos. Just to name a few.

I don’t want to sound as if I am complaining, because I'm not, we loved the city and all that it had to offer and will definitely head back there next year, we will do things a bit different next year.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 pm

As a 13 time repeater to this resort, with the nick name by management and the staff as Mr Crown... i want to thank you for your review... I can understand some of your disappointments as you say you are in the "business" so you know preperation, presentation, and what it takes to put a meal together. I am sure that some people might be disappointed in your resturant too, but don't have an open forum like this to critique your establishment, and with that being said.... did you ask to speak to the guest relations manager (myrna) or how about the food and beverage manager, Senor Pobabilla, did you look for any of the managers in the resort. Can't miss them, kahki slacks and blue shirts. I am sure any of them would have gladly sat down with you and gone over your "ideas" and your thought process.

We will be taking our 14th trip to this resort in 15 days for our two weeks of fun in the sun...

Again, thank you for review and opinions.....

Tom
aka Mr Crown

tojol57

90.3% approval rating

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:17 pm

I just spoke with the resort via e-mail... According to the Sales manager and the responses back on the exit questionaires, they have a 90.3% approval rating for the food and beverage divison of the resort... and according to the industry standards the approval rating is right at 85%...

i thought i would share that bit of information with you all as well... as the resort does look at all this information very seriously no matter how "small" the complaint to the biggest baddest review is either.

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by carden » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 am

Appreciate your replies.

I hope that I have not come across in a negative manner.

I filled out the exit response at the hotel and have not heard from them.
My expectations were much higher for the Food.
I think there is room for much improvement on the food.

As a restaurant owner and Chef. I do not have the luxury of being able to be satisfied with a 90.3% approval rating nor industry standards of 85%. I have to please all my customers, as difficult as it maybe.

The restaurants that we visited while in PV were able to serve and provide much better food than what the all Inclusive package at the GCP provided.

I realize that everyone has there opinion and I just wanted to express that next year when we visit PV we will stay at a different location and not go All Inclusive. It didnt suit our circumstances.

Lesson learned.

tojol57

no problem

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 pm

Don't worry as a repeat guest to this resort, we do not have a "hit squad" that hunts down people for their "opinions" that don't agree with ours... Maybe we should, but then again what purpose would that serve...

So you are telling me, no matter what, you have 100% approval rating each and every night that you serve up a dinner? you are perfect each and every time a plate leaves your kitchen. Or do you have a few hit and misses here and there, but don't record them as an error...

You have to remember, you can't please everybody each and everyday... with 212 rooms, with an occupancy rate of close to 400 people per day per seating, along with 24 hr room service, i would think you could respect a 90% satisfaction rating. Not everybody is from high society, and not everybody is from the lower class either... a lot of these people are middle class Americans and Canadians (whether they are white collar or blue collar workers) some of them have never been out of the country before and chose the GCP with all her amenities and location to experience Puerto Vallarta and Mexico...

Again, thank you for your inputs... i hope that you will still come to Vallarta even if the GCP is not your choice of resorts...

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:56 pm

I've never stayed at the GCP and can't comment. We have stayed at the Royal Decameron in Bucerias and I would say the food is good. It isn't fabulous but I don't except that from an All Inclusive and thats why this year with the hubby and kids we are again staying at the Royal Decameron because an AL is great with kids and the second week I'm renting a condo at Holiday Inn Sea Towers with a girlfriend. We debated going AL at $45/day but I want to eat as much variety of PV food as I can. We plan on mixing some of our own drinks and when we're thirsty we will just find a spot on the beach. AL is often as cheap as flying there (at least from Winnipeg) and renting a condo and I'm sure a lot of people do that and still eat elsewhere. In fact, I might do that next year. Find an AL with a lower star rating and still eat out every night. I do like the convenience of AL but I don't think I would want to pay for a 5 star resort. We looking at staying at there but GCP was quite expensive compared to a number of other resorts. Mr. Crown I'm sure as you and Mrs Crown have been going here for many years you have made many friends among the staff. I'm guessing its hard for you to get a meal you don't like there. The more often you to back to a place the better it gets as far as I'm concerned.

Just rambling on here...

That said....can't wait for my time in the sun!! Hope to meet some fun loving people at Andales!!!

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Bigger Picture

Post by Jennybean » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:36 pm

I just thought I'd step in here and point out the bigger picture that seems is being missed from the OP's review...
I realize that everyone has their opinion and I just wanted to express that next year when we visit PV we will stay at a different location and not go All Inclusive. It didnt suit our circumstances.
They went, they tried the AI, it didn't suit them. Lesson learned and now next time they know they won't choose it again and will seek out an alternative type of vacation in Puerto Vallarta. That isn't a bad thing you know. :wink:

The review isn't a condemnation of the resort as a whole if you'll notice, just that it fell short of their expectations and they learned they are not all inclusive people. Not everyone is (present company included - and I learned that the same way they did), and I'm not sure it's fair to chastise them for that. They noted clearly they knew GCP has a lot of repeat customers who love it and will return year after year, that there were aspects to the resort they did like, but it seems a bit hasty to dive down the guy's throat for such a minor thing as noting they came to the realization AI isn't their cup of tea. They did so very tactfully with an honest review based on their own personal experiences and expectation levels IMHO, so maybe it might be fair to cut them some slack and admit the OP is probably in that tenth percentile who didn't think the GCP was the best place they'd ever vacationed?

The review also indicated they loved Puerto Vallarta and would be back again, so this experience didn't dim their view of the city as a whole - another thing that may have been overlooked...they said they'd be back, but when they come back they'll do it differently is all. To use an old platitude, water seeks its own level - that's what they did and are doing, by trial and error they're going to find the type of PV vacation that suits them best. I think maybe instead of focusing on minute points we should just wish them the best in finding the vacation that will make them happiest...just like WE all do.

I think that might be fair, if you really stop to think about it hard... :)

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:44 pm

Hola Carden! Sorry to hear that the GCP and AI plan wasn't for you. We can understand and appreciate that. I do know from past experiences and from several other people that as far as food for AI's in PVR, that the GCP probably has the best food by far. We stayed out in Nuevo Vallarta for 5 years at two different all-inclusives and there was no comparison. Their food out there wasn't the greatest but we kept that in mind and tried to stay positive and upbeat and enjoy our vacation. It's too bad that you didn't have the opportunity to meet Chef Martin or Mr. Bobadilla head of food and beverage while you were there. Maybe they could have been of some assistance. I know when we went this last Nov. there was a lady at our resort that was a fairly picky eater and once she talked with them, everything was great. She had some things she didn't like and was allergic to and they did everything in their power to accommodate her. Yes, there are lots of great restaurants in PVR and we try to check out some each and every time we are there. Best of luck to you in your future travels to PVR! Enjoy!

Lorrie

tojol57

Case in Point

Post by tojol57 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:25 am

Jennybean, yes i realize that AI is not for everybody... that is a given... how many different times have we debated this topic over the years... one of my many points in putting out some information here is that the OP stayed at this resort for two full weeks, and yet did not seek out management, did not go to guest relations with his or her frustrations... but will go next door to "buffet" dining versus all menu dining.

Tonight lorrie and i dined at the P.F. Changs in West Des Moines... lorrie had her usual honey crusted chicken, and i had a new item on the menu of lemon grass grilled prawns served over garlic noodles... our appetizer of chicken lettuce wraps were late in coming, and the noodles were over cooked and sticky... so where do i rate this dinner... or the evening... by the size of the crowds today at the mall and at the restuarant i wouldn't diss the Chang's because of this one incident... been to this restuarant too many times to do that...

And with that said...

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 am

Didn't really sound like he was dissing GCP. Like I said earlier.....I have not found Al to have as good food as independent restaurants. It is convenient and we are doing this for our first week of vacation. I would like it if our resort was serving premium liquor as I'm an Absolute kind of girl but my husband wanted to stay right in Bucerias and the Royal Decameron is the only option there. I go the resort knowing and not expecting my food to be as good as an indpendant restaurant and thats why even though I'm staying at an AL I will go out alot since PV has such fabulous eating, and might I say drinking, establishments. I think Carden and myself might be two of a kind as I kind of see the AL as taking away the Mexico experience from people who don't venture outside their resort.

Either way.....I LOVE PV!!!!!!

carden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by carden » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:45 am

Jennybean and Chrisnick
Exactly

Perhaps I should leave this discussion as it is.
But, its like eating peanuts you just can't stop.

We did go next door to the timeshare Condos, (Vallarta Torre) for breakfast after the 4th try at breakfast in 2 different restaurants at the GCP.

We did not have the Buffet, We had menu service, paid $8.00 US for Eggs Benedict, that were cooked properly with real Hollandaise and brewed fresh decafe coffee with a beautiful selection of toast and pastries.
My wife had French toast and sausages with fresh juice for about the same cost.

We could have complained or sent our food back. But didn't.
That was completely our choice.
I did not complain to the "management". I did fill out a Exit form and I left my contact information with the GCP.

I am on holiday and the most important item for me when on holiday is my time.

I'm not going to spend it complaining, or telling management, how I think they should run there restaurant or how I like my eggs, or tell them how to serve a nice fruit plate or for that matter how to cook and season there hash browns. I could go on... I have not even mentioned the dinner we had and the reservation we tried to make.

There were definitely some good points to the GCP.

All I was commenting on was the cost of All Inclusive and the product that is delivered to the customer, in our situation it could have been far better.

It suits a lot of people, but it didn't us.
Lesson learned.

We loved PV and will certainly return, next January for another 2 weeks.

Will I recommend the GCP all Inclusive to my friends, Probably not.

tojol57

Point Taken

Post by tojol57 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:04 pm

I too don't want to beat a dead horse here, and like you said it is just like eating peanuts, or lays potato chips, you just can't stop at just ONE....

Again, i totally agree with you, Chrisnick, and my dear Friend Jennybean... that all-inlcusive is not for everybody... and yes there are some great places in vallarta (over 1400 restaurants to choose from) that we also go off property and eat at during our time there.

Maybe it is my midwestern ways, or the way i have seen things over the years... and maybe that is the reason we keep coming back to this resort, because the guests opinion does matter...

the general manger and his staff meet everyday (monday - friday) at 830 am in Salvador's... And thru the course of the meeting they discuss all the activities going on at the resort, the ups and the downs, the good and the bad... then sometime during the day... i have the priviledge to sit down for either brunch or lunch with the General Manager and talk to him about what is happening at the resort... we have introduced many people just like you to him, and his staff and made changes over the years... Heck we even had one lady complain because she didn't have 500+ thread count on her bedding. Now that is getting down right picky in my opinion...

But again, i said in the beginning and i am saying it again... I RESPECT your opinion... i just want to know all the facts as best i can, to understand your point of view, so that when i am there in 13 days... i an sit down with Nacho the GM, Porfirio the food and beverage manager, Angie in Sales, and Myrna in Guest Relations, and bring this subject to them...

thanks again for your comments... i am being just me, Mr Crown, a dumb iowa hick that needs a picture drawn out to him to understand what you are saying... OK... finished... the horse is officially dead///\\\

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:39 pm

In my humble opinion, No AI is absolutely perfect, (no matter how many stars ) but it suits me fine as a guarantee of the costs that I want to pay or can afford, and because for the most part I'm to lazy to want to go out all the time. Each of us is guided by our personal tastes, desires, and expectations. Some people (my wife) are picky eaters, can't get a good nights sleep in strange surroundings no matter how comfortable the bed, but still want to enjoy that little bit of vacation we get each year in a way that makes us feel refreshed.

BTW Tom:
lemon grass grilled prawns served over garlic noodles
from what I hear combining lemons and garlic causes a familiar aroma to occur in closed rooms. Lori must have been really impressed with you. LOL

mhahn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mhahn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:01 am

Tom,
You know how much we enjoy the GCP, but to expect people who are not like us to look up management to have a talk with them about there disappointments is really unrealisitc. We have been there ten times and do know some of the management staff in passing but would not spend vacation time having meetings with them. You enjoy hands on vacation time with staff, that is great, but most people would not consider contacting the Food & Beverage manager or know how to, to voice any criticism. The original poster did the normal procedure and voiced there concerns on the exit review. We love the GCP but know there are different opinions, look at this way, more availability for us when we want to be there! On another note! What is this about Aldo being arrested, (TA positng) is this a joke or not??? I know we can depend on you for the facts.
Enjoy your upcoming visit, we will be in PV shortly, but like I previously posted in a Condo, will truly miss the GCP, but there is always next time!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Mhahn - i know, Lorrie and I are just a little different when it comes to our vacations. We love to veg out, meet new travelers, as well as get to know the people that are taking care of us.... when we used to go to Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica, we got to know the staff just as well, as well as Butch Stewart the owner of Sandals, Air Jamaica, and other interests.... The GM here at GCP has introduced me several times over the years to the Onalles family, Salvador Sr, and Jr.... as well as Accountants, business managers, and designers... i consider it a great honor...

As for Aldo, i haven't found anything out yet... Lorrie has been trying to get an answer from Rachel as well.. but no responses...