Anxious First Timers

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Jessica

Anxious First Timers

Post by Jessica » Fri May 03, 2002 12:47 am

My friends and I are going to stay at the new Riu Jalisco in July and this is our first time ever to an island. I'm big on the beaches but I heard rumors that the water in Puerto Vallarta is contiminated with Sewer and it's not recommended to swim in it. Is this true? What can I expect from this trip? Comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Re:Anxious First Timers

Post by howard_jax » Fri May 03, 2002 1:06 am

Not so about contamination. We were a first timer 20 trips ago. You can expect from PV what you put in to it. If you go to have a good time you will have one. The Restaurants are great and the locals the friendliest in the World.

nmathis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Alleged Bay Pollution

Post by nmathis » Fri May 03, 2002 1:44 am

There is an ongoing discussion concerning this subject on a different PV BB. The following was pulled from that list:

In PV the water is Brown during the rainy season as the earth moved by the heavy rain fall goes into the rivers from the mountains.

The brown foam sometimes seen just off the breakers in the bay is caused by nutrients and crustacean molt mixing with silt which come to the surface at certain times due to upwelling water movements. This is an entirely natural phenomenon and actually shows a good, healthy environment. It is evident in many places on the eastern Pacific shores. The general manager of BiWater who runs the waste water treatment, assures that the water he puts back into the bay is cleaner than the tap water in Mexico City.

lorne

Post by lorne » Fri May 03, 2002 5:02 pm

While Puerto Vallarta may not have the most beautiful beaches in the world, they certainly aren't the worst. You'll have no problem swimming in the ocean at Riu Jalisco.
Because it will be ther rainy season, the water will probably have a brownish tinge, but not because of pollution. (See explanationa above). Like the reply above, we were first-times to Puerto Vallarta 10 trips ago and keep going back again and again--sometimes twice a year. Mainly because of the people, who we find the friendliest we have ever encountered.
Don't just stay on the resort. Make sure you get into town and explore... lots to see and do. Your vacation will be what you make of it.

Annimarinski

Post by Annimarinski » Fri May 03, 2002 7:46 pm

Uh Jessica just to set the geography record straight. P.V. is not an island. It is located on the Pacific coast of Mexico. Very much mainland.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri May 03, 2002 8:23 pm

I was going to say something about that when I read it this morning, but then I was also thinking of suggesting they take a to walk to the east side of island to watch the sunrise. LOL

ken
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ken » Fri May 03, 2002 10:45 pm

Could be a long walk east

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Sat May 04, 2002 11:34 pm

If you keep walking south, you'll hit the Island of Yelapa :)

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Mon May 06, 2002 12:58 am

Ah Brenda, it appears I am not the only wise a$$ on the board.

Leesa

Post by Leesa » Mon May 13, 2002 3:51 pm

Hello
we just got back from our first time in PV. The water is fine , not the blue-green color but still just fine and gorgeous. Beware of any time time share salesman, these people are the worst and are ruining it for people ever wanting to return. For us, we will come back and avoid them as we did this time. We met the most friendliest locals and enjoyed a two hour cab ride/tour with a wonderful gentleman ( we decided to pick him after we drove with him for awhile / good english also) for 2oo peso's. Took us where we wanted to go. We are planning our trip again for next May. Have a blast! and stay away from Mayan palace time share salesman, they are the worst!!!