word of caution on riu jalisco

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

kaylee
word of caution on riu jalisco

Post by kaylee » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:16 pm

got back from riu end of last week. am very concerned because one of our friends that went with us was hospitalized last night and ended up having a blood transfusion. doctors say it was somthing he ate down there or something else from there ,dont know for sure yet. they are doing a lot of tests. also i have been very sick since we got back. never gotten sick from any other mexico trip before. all eating was done at the riu.very worryed about this. i will update when his doctors have more test results in and i have more info.
right now its wierd because they have his room quarantined off until they know more.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:word of caution on riu jalisco

Post by pvdeb » Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:04 am

Just so that I understand fully...on another board, you posted "the food buffet was very little selection. three or (sic?) the seven nights we went into town". Did I misunderstand the implication of that statement, that since you didn't think the buffet was good, that you ate in town 3 of the 7 nights you were there? I just want to be sure I understand what you indicate is the confirmed source of your friend's and your illness. Please tell me if I misunderstood what you said in the above quote.

katnsocal

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:53 am

An interesting thought or two on this subject. I spoke with a friend in PV a week or so ago who said everyone in the town was sick. He stated it happens every year after the first rain of the season. Their thought/reasoning for this is that after 9 or so months of no rain, when it does rain all the bacteria, etc built up in the rivers washed down into the ocean and into the fields. He said "this is the time of the year all the gringos have to be careful drinking the water and what they eat"! He stated they believe it affects the fish as well as the crops that get the run off. The other interesting thing, tonight in my class at school one of my students had been out both nights last week and stated she had a really bad case of the stomach flu, alot of the people in her office (doctor's office)had it and also alot of the patients were coming in with it. She said it is taking some people 2 weeks to get over it. So it is possible one of these two things could have been the cause of you getting so sick on this trip. Just a thought!!!!

kaylee

Post by kaylee » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:29 am

in reply to the question that w ate in town.my husband and i did, a couple of times, our friends did not at all,they ate at the riu all meals.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:27 pm

Sorry you all got sick. I had 12 other people in PV the same week as you. We ate 75% of the meals at the Crown Paradise and the remainder in town. Every one had drinks with ice and every one had raw veggies almost every day. None of us have any complaints. Early summer is always bad for intestional complaints since people forget how to handle food in the increasing heat. I'm a laboratorian and trained in tropical medicine by the USN, so I usually keep an eye out for bad food handling and impropper food temp. If I came down with any thing on this trip I would first blame it on the "food" served on the charter flight, there is no way that stuff can be healthy for anyone.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:33 pm

Sounds like the doctor suspects viral, rather than intestinal problems - haven't known many hospitals to quarantine a room unless virus is strongly suspected. Ingestion of foods, no matter how bad is not likely to require quarantine. Unfortunately, the way air is re-circulated during flights, your friend could have had a viral infection starting by the time he landed in PV. Hope all goes OK. Keep us posted.

kiltee

Post by kiltee » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. We have also just returned from Riu and I am happy to report that nobody got sick (2 adults and 2 kids). We ate at all the restaurants, drank the drinks and ate fresh veggies. I hope everything works out for the best for your friend. We will be thinking of him.

grega44
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grega44 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:45 am

We just returned from the Riu too after 7 nights and none of us (including a 4 1/2 yr. old) got sick and we ate and drank everything!