in september, Cancun or Puerto Vallarta ?????

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Pedro
in september, Cancun or Puerto Vallarta ?????

Post by Pedro » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:26 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm from Spain. Next september I'm going to get married.

We are thinking to go to Cancun or to Puerto Vallarta.

how is the weather in september in both cities?

Please, talk about your experience and what hotel do you recommend us. We want to go to and All Inclusive hotel, is a good idea??

thanks a lot !!

Pedro

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:in september, Cancun or Puerto Vallarta ?????

Post by webmaster » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:34 pm

Hi there,

As this is a Puerto Vallarta Bulletin Board I am sure the postings you will receive will be a bit biased :-)

In any case I happened to get married a few years ago and went to Cancun for a change (live close and work in PV from time to time), the weather was fine, real hot though, when we went to Chichen Itza we were melting and getting desperate, the beaches and sea there the typical turquoise blue. The town was a bit empty as was the hotel (Crown Paradise, so so room, a bit humid, great restaurants (5), rough timeshare pitch, take care with the "free" breakfast stuff).

I would say if you, like us at that moment in time, want to lie around, taking sun, eating a lot (go all-inclusive), Cancun is fine. One thing is that you'll notice the locals are a bit "European", a bit distant and cold at times, I feel this is because they have had too much tourism. The only thing is that you could just as well go to Miami or some other typical tourist spot and not notice the difference.

Now, if you want to travel to Mexico and get a real taste of the local people, come to Puerto Vallarta. The beaches are not like the ones in Cancun, the caribbean beaches are formed from coral reefs and are therefore white, the ones in PV are formed from different sources and are more yellow-beige in color, the sea in PV is also emerald green and not as transparent (the fish are happier here, more to eat :-)). I feel there is much more to do in and around PV than in Cancun, so if you are an active couple PV might be a better option. I also think Cancun is more expensive than PV to go out and eat. Weather by the way is more or less the same at that time of year in both places.

Let me sum it up, my wife loved Cancun, she is a sun and beach person, but when given the option to go to one of the two, she always chooses Puerto Vallarta, Cancun is an great one-time destination, very pretty and all, Puerto Vallarta you can visit many times and not get bored, weird no?

Greetings from Guadalajara, Mexico

Mogens

krisblack
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by krisblack » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:56 am

Oh, yes, mucho biased opinions here!!...

I haven't been to Cancun since 1985, it was very nice I must admit. It depends on what you want....real Mexico, local flavor, great food -- PV! Nice beaches that don't get hot in the sun, bars, and I don't what else - Cancun.

Plus, you need to think about the weather. There is a good reason Cancun is cheap that time of year, that is hurricane season in the Caribbean. You do risk being rained out. PV may get some rain at that time, but their odds of hurricanes are way lower.

Good luck!

Chi-Town Girl

Post by Chi-Town Girl » Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:07 am

Pedro, I sent you an e-mail to the todollaves, e-mail address, at the bottom of the screen.

soapguy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by soapguy » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:22 pm

We have been to both places in September. If the price is cheaper, we will always fly to Cancun and then go south to one of the resorts along the Mexican Riviera.

The reasons:

The Caribbean side's hurricane season is from June through November, but we have only had rain one time and no hurricanes (8 years). Puerto Vallarta is still in the rainy season in September and there is a very good chance of heavy rains.

The beaches are no comparison. The Caribbean side is white cool sand and blue clear waters. The Pacific side is not as clear or even blue. The beaches are hot brown sand.

Tours are more available to ruins, water parks, snorkeling trips, etc. on the Caribbean side. On the Pacific side there are trips into the mountains, tours of Puerto Vallarta, snorkeling trips with limited visabilty.

The Caribbean side is more commerically inclined with a lot of clubs, discos, bars, fast food places. The Pacific side is more laid back with more of the Mexican culture available.

Flying into Cancan's airport and getting to your shuttle or taxi is a real trial. Flying into Puerto Vallarta's airport is less hassel and more relaxing.

We love both the Mexican Riviera and Puerto Vallarta. We go with the prices. We usually try to go to Puerto Vallarta in May just before the rainy season starts and in September or October we try to go to the Caribbean side of Mexico. We really don't care where we go as long as it is in Mexico as long as the price is right.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:41 am

Best hurricane I ever spent a vacation in was in Cancun in September. Not a whisper or a sign of it before we left home. No sun, rained for 5 days, couldn't get in the surf because of the high waves and strong undertow, hotel had to shut the storm doors over our sliding glass door so the wind and pressure wouldn't suck the window in...too claustrophobic in the room, so we just went shopping and hit the bars in the hotel zone earlier. We made the best of it. But that time of year, the weather is too, too unpredictable in the Caribbean. You could be stormed out, or you could have a week or two of unbelievable sunny weather; that's the chance you take. After several trips to Cancun, I found Puerto Vallarta and much prefer it...completely different from Cancun as stated above. September is still rainy season in PV, but the rain usually comes in the evening and at night and they have fantastic lightening shows out over the bay. The biggest plus in PV is the people...they're still a warm and friendly people...whereas, the locals in Cancun have become pretty jaded from all the rowdy Spring Breakers and tourists. I'm not saying I won't ever go back to Cancun, because you cannot beat the turquoise water and white sand, but for your honeymoon, just consider what do you want most and what will give you the best memories.

candi

Post by candi » Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:42 am

Hi my name is candi I got married in cancun last nov and for our first yr annivarsary going to PV as much as PV has some beautiful spots I find cancun to be more tropial and romantic in my eyes..we found a gorgeous dock that goes over the very blue ocean that was breath taken..PV would be a great after party place to go to Congratulations!! whatever you decide you'll love either one ...candi
Pedro (Jul 18, 2002 08:26 a.m.):
Hi everybody!

I'm from Spain. Next september I'm going to get married.

We are thinking to go to Cancun or to Puerto Vallarta.

how is the weather in september in both cities?

Please, talk about your experience and what hotel do you recommend us. We want to go to and All Inclusive hotel, is a good idea??

thanks a lot !!

Pedro