Casa Amorita or Hotel Tropicana?

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bpb31
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Casa Amorita or Hotel Tropicana?

Post by bpb31 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:27 pm

My wife and I are heading down to PV this January. This will be our first time. We are going for 5 days, Thursday Jan 30 through Monday Feb 3. We are on a budget and I'm trying to decide between Casa Amorita and Hotel Tropicana, both have quoted me just under $400 for 4 nights. Casa Amorita includes a home cooked breakfast but is a few blocks from the beach. I've also heard that being that close to the church can get annoying because of the constant bell ringing. The facilities look really nice. Has anyone stayed at or visited Casa Amorita?

The Hotel Tropicana seems to be more a standard 3 star beach hotel. The pictures I've seen of the pool show it as being very crowded which is kinda bad but we love the idea of staying right on the beach. Supposedly they include a buffet breakfast. The few brief reviews have been very favorable opposed to Playa Los Arcos which gets totally mixed reviews. Anyone care to comment on the Tropicana?

Thanks in Advance

Clarisa

Re:Casa Amorita or Hotel Tropicana?

Post by Clarisa » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:18 pm

Casa Amorita is way more than a few blocks from the beach! Maybe technically to the ocean (seawall) but to get to Playa Los Muertos where you could swim, sun, sit, eat, etc. would be a good 15 min. walk to the south. The church bells do ring and are loud each 15 mins. BUT this looks like a much more romantic and private place.

Tropicana is a typical beach hotel but a favorite of many. Never noticed how crowded the pool is when I walked by. These two hotels couldn't be more different. Amorita a private home style B&B and Tropicana a low/highrise in a row of beach hotels.

I have not stayed at either but have spent 14 vacations in PV in the past 10 years. Here's a couple recommendations that might be the best of both world or at least an in-between of the two you mentioned: Casa Andrea or Molino de Agua. See them at:

www.casa-andrea.com

www.molinodeagua.com

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:25 pm

Though I've not stayed at either of the above (I'm a Playa Los Arcos alum who happens to love it), my observation is that these two properties are totally different in their atmosphere. Casa Amorita is a B&B located in El Centro, up one of the many hills and looks out over the town and bay. It's several blocks from the beach, but this is not a beach you'd want to spend time on. It's narrow, rocky and backed up by the noise of traffic. For any beach time, you'd have to either go to Los Muertos if you like a busy and active beach, or north of town around Nuevo or further north to Destilideras. So this would entail some travel. The property itself looks very nice and if you enjoy the city sounds (and church bell), and you want a smaller, more romantic place, then this would be very nice. The Tropicana, on the other hand is ON Los Muertos, right in the middle of the "south side" action and of course right ON the beach. It is an older building and larger property, but the reviews I've seen have been favorable. I don't think the food is anything to write home about, but having the close pool/beach option would be a plus if you plan to spend a lot of time in the sun. So maybe figuring out what is more important to you as far as accessibility would help to make a decision. I'm partial to the south side so I'm kind of biased in that aspect, but if you want a more homey atmosphere and don't mind travelling some to get your beach time, then the Amorita looks very nice. Just my two centavos....

Henry

Post by Henry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:25 pm

We stayed at the Tropicana a few days after Christmas and the pool was never crowded. Maybe the picture was just trying to portray a festive scene.

BTY, we didn't spend anywhere near $100 a day there, closer to half that.

bpb31
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by bpb31 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the input!

The Tropicana is quoting us a price of $392 for 4 nights in a superior ocean view room (new building) including tax. This will be during the high season so I don't expect any great deals. A suite at Molina De Aqua is $544. I figure the difference in cost can be used for a nice excursion.

Right now we are leaning towards the Tropicana. It will be nice to be close to all the fun stuff. I heard there are a couple of open air bars right on the beach in front of the Tropicana with cheap drinks.