family - spring break

Comments, tips, questions on Puerto & Nuevo Vallarta hotels, resorts, lodging and others.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

minnesotaMike
family - spring break

Post by minnesotaMike » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:55 pm

looking for a good hotel for a family during the week of March 19. Want to stay away from the "wild" part of spring break...two daughters are 12 and 10. Looking for a great pool - cost isn't really that big of a deal except some are already full.
Expect some spring breaking, but some spots are usually more family oriented Thanks

ellenl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:family - spring break

Post by ellenl » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:24 pm

Mike,

I don't know if you are looking at staying in PV or looking for an all-inclusive but... The Royal Decameron complex near Bucerias is nice. It is all-inclusive. Has a good five pools, three buffet restaurants, four or five reservation restaurants, tennis courts, a nightly show in the outdoor amphitheater, beautiful grounds, clean rooms, and a great beach. Now, all this said, it is far from the "action" of town. But it is only a 15 min. walk to the town of Bucerias which is very friendly and has some good restaurants and a great flea market. Much quieter up this way. It's about a 20-30 min cab/bus ride into downtown PV.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!!
Ellen

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:54 am

Your bigger concern should be Semana Santa (Easter) instead of spring break. The week leading up to Easter is easily one of the busiest in PV, if not THE busiest. Locals from all over that area of Mexico go to the beach, as that is their holiday week. Most friends I have that live in PV barely venture out of their homes because of the crowds. LOL I've seen pictures of the beach where you can't see a bare inch of sand for people.

While there are a few companies that market spring break packages to PV, if you head south of the river unless you went into Senor Frogs you'd hardly know it was spring break. Semana Santa, yes....spring break, not as much.

I would say during Easter is the one time of the year I would tell people headed to PV to stay north or south of PV proper if they wanted to avoid the crowds. At any other time of year I wouldn't say that, unless you really love big crowds. They aren't for everyone...I know I'm one of those people. It's also the only time of year you wouldn't find me in PV - and those words are practically blasphemy to me. LOL

Mardi

Post by Mardi » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Hey there! We were in PV last year at the same time you are going this year - we went March 17 - 24, 2004 and we're also from MINNESOTA! We stayed at Holiday Inn and depsite what some of the reviews say about this resort, we felt the negativity was WAY off the mark! We LOVED Holiday Inn and would definitely stay there again. We did the AI which again, everyone tells you not to do but we would do that again as well. We did eat dinner out a few nights (Daquiri Dicks, Blue Shrimp -- both YUM!) but felt for the drinks, breakfast, lunch & snacks we just couldn't go wrong with the AI. We were in the smaller tower there on the 4th floor -- very pleased with our room and everything that went along with it. The beach & pool are awesome. We had planned to return to PV again this winter but went on a cruise instead so PV was put on the calendar for next winter..........along with the HOLIDAY INN! We really did find it a great place to stay. Have a great trip -- PV is just the best!