Bad reviews - quit whining people!

Report on your Puerto Vallarta trip, hotel, restaurant, tour, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

paul.isnt.dead
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Bad reviews - quit whining people!

Post by paul.isnt.dead » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Howdy! I have lurked on this site forever but I have never really felt the need to voice my opinion before now. I have been to PV 3 times (will be 4 times come April 6, yay me!) and I've stayed at the Marival in nuevo vallarta twice and braved the Getaway club as well. I'm heading to Riu Jalisco next week and it sounds like this resort will outdo my past trips....

Anyway before each trip I can never seem to resist the urge to hop online and read reviews of the place I'm about to visit and I must say that doing this is always such a downer. I find it odd that when you read 10 reviews 5 of them will usually say something to the effect of "WOW! Awesome place...10 out of 10...going back next year for sure...etc..." then the other 5 are "This place is hell on earth...wouldn't go back if they paid me....my life from this point on will be misery because I've experienced this place...boo hoo for me...life is so hard...etc". Are we talking about the same resort? I understand how certainly people's opinions will vary depending on their taste, lifestyle, etc. but I find it hard to believe that a resort could perform so differently. Sometimes 2 reviews will contrast like that when the 2 parties were at the place at the same time!

When you actually read these bad reviews it is apalling at the tiny details that seem to absolutely ruin people's vacation. "My wake up call was 5 mins late" is not a reason to rate a hotel 2 out of 5. "I had to wait in line for 10 minutes at dinner." Awww, so sad...did you lose black out from having no food in your stomach? Or, my all time favorite "The resort was 30 minutes from downtown PV!"...so, just what kind of research do you do before booking your trips? I think that people are sometimes determined to have a bad time and they will pounce on any opportunity to gripe. Keep in mind that I have been to the much criticized Getaway club and while it's not a place that is likely to host a black tie dinner any time soon come on! You're on vacation, you worked all year for it, you're on the beach, you've got free drinks, etc, etc, etc. Sit back and enjoy yourself and cut everyone some slack. I think these people would be more suited to take a "vacation" in Paris or something instead (or maybe just stay home and lock the door so the angry world can't get them).

I guess this may belong in the "ramblings" section but for anyone who has never been to a resort in PV don't believe the bad reviews - they are not that bad! I know it is a horrible feeling to pay thousands of dollars for a trip, then come home and get online and read about how horrible the place you are going actually is. Relax, you will have a great time if you want to. When you get checked in keep an eye out for people who have decided that they are going to hate their vacation and buy them a drink for me (or if your hotel is AI then maybe bring them a couple...) and tell them that the world is not, in fact, out to get them after all.

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:01 am

I hate it when people whine about the whiners! :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

I agree 100 % with you. Every place I have gone to has had things I love and things I don't care for but you have to take the bad with the good and just not dwell on the bad. "30 minute bus ride" who cares your on vacation relax and enjoy the country side and take in the lives of the locals. Or the beds are hard stop being a tight a$$ and buy yourself a new mattress you'll maybe find out what a good one feels like. :soapbox:

One thing I believe is only about 5% of the people that have a great time take the time to tell others about it. I myself think that heavily praising a place only hurts you in the long run. Keep those gems to yourself or the next time you go you will find it harder to get in, or higher prices due to higher demand. Sometimes you can praise yourself right out of a great vacation. The other thing I believe is if 5 % of the people are hard to please or just have a bad week, a 100% of them will post a bad review. When your mad your more likely to take the time and post a bad review. Or if you want to keep the place you love reasonably priced and alway available you may just want to slip in a bad review under an alias :wink: :twisted:

Condor :8-))

spud
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by spud » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:12 am

Sometimes I think the reviewers are employed by / or friends with someone, from a competing hotel.

One year we came back from our holiday and read on the internet, from someone who said that they were at my hotel the same time as ourselves.

They said that there were about 150 of the guests, who got sick from Salmonella from the orange juice-------I think I would have heard about that.

Just go by what the majority says, and ignore the whiners, and the ones who give a hotel 5 stars for everything.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:13 pm

DELETED

montyjam
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by montyjam » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Most of the bad reviews come from people who have stayed at all inclusive, cookie-cutter resorts.

If they tried something different, like a smaller boutique hotel or a condo rental, their experience might be quite different.

In my opinion, tourists complain a lot. Travellers don't.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:23 pm

montyjam wrote:Most of the bad reviews come from people who have stayed at all inclusive, cookie-cutter resorts.

In my opinion, tourists complain a lot. Travellers don't.
I think some people try to "think" too much, and thus come up with a lot of BS when they post a review. After reading and re-reading some of the comments up above, i have to agree with some or most of it... now that being said, we stay all-inclusive at the Golden Crown Paradise (GCP)... and i would consider us "travellers" not tourists since we have been coming to this resort for almost 9 yrs (just spent our 11 vacation there back in february 2007), and have been coming to the Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta area for almost 15 yrs. We started staying all-inclusive when we went to Jamaica at the Sandal's resorts, and just found that we had the best of all worlds, if we wanted to go off property, we could, if we wanted to stay on property fine and dandy... someday we may venture off the beaten path and stay some place else, or try staying at a condo etc... but if we go to a condo, then i am back home, cooking and getting groceries, lorrie is cleaning and picking up... now if i was going to be down there for 4 - 6 weeks or longer like a few of my friends do, then maybe yes i would go that route... but right now my vacation is to be at the GCP to be spoiled, pampered, and feel like the King and Queen of Iowa...

but then that is just my opinion... and not a sales promotion either... LOL

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Reviews and Reality

Post by smitty » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Tom your post describes our situation and thoughts . :) When you only have a week or two in the sun it's great to be pampered . Mundane events will never ruin our vacation - its going to take an act of God - like Kenna to stop us .

Juliana (Montyjam ) nice to see you posting here again . :)

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 pm

tojol57 wrote:but right now my vacation is to be at the GCP to be spoiled, pampered, and feel like the King and Queen of Iowa...

but then that is just my opinion... and not a sales promotion either... LOL
See what I mean the price just went up again at the GCP :wink: :lol: :lol:

paul.isnt.dead
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by paul.isnt.dead » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:31 am

So I'm not crazy after all...it's nice to hear that you PV veterans agree with me here. It's only 8 days until I leave for the Riu Jalisco so naturally my production level at work has suffered significantly as I have been spending more and more time trying to find out anything and everything possible about the riu. I came across another classic complaint about resort vacations that I just had to mention..."There were people at our all inclusive resort, and they were at the pool, and, lord help us, they were getting drunk!! What blasphemy!" This has to be my all time favorite (perhaps I should remove the quotes since I MAY have altered the exact phrasing :D ).

I agree with how tourists complain a lot and travellers don't. I think this sums it up well. Those people who haven't taken a vacation for years and years and finally decide to go away expect every blade of grass to be pointing the right way but the more you get away the more you realize how lucky you are and how great places like Puerto Vallarta are. Maybe at some point you realize that no matter where you go you are not in some fantasy land where nothing goes wrong. As for me, as long as I come home with a sunburn worthy of the envy of my friends and co-workers I'm generally happy.

I'll give a report of my trip when I get back - maybe just for fun I'll point out some of the things that should have ruined my trip...who knows maybe my wakeup call will be 6 minutes late...oh but wait I'm on vacation so wake up calls are not allowed...

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:20 am

paul.isnt.dead...have been there and you will enjoy the Riu Jalisco it's a very nice resort...but please...get off the resort and see some of the area and small towns around you...but above all else...have fun...sonofdob.

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:04 pm

paul.isnt.dead wrote:"There were people at our all inclusive resort, and they were at the pool, and, lord help us, they were getting drunk!! What blasphemy!" ...
I agree that is blastphemy! How dare they sober up from the night before and have to GET drunk all over again. What is this world coming to? :lol: :lol:

coorslightman
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Your trip is what you make of it!

Post by coorslightman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:51 pm

I have to agree with you all. The travelers which I feel I am as I now am headed down for my 5th time in 5 years, enjoy all the pleasures of PV and don't fret the little stuff. Your on vacation,not at work.I love the people and the atmosphere and everyone is polite as long as your polite. Even the timeshare people can be easy to get along with as long as your friendly with them.How can you be tense in a place like PV!
I have stayed at Vila Del Palmar every year but one and will be at Villa Del mar this year for 2 weeks Sept.1-15,2007. Tomas and all the staff are wonderful. They are there for your every need. I am so excited about this trip this year as I will be 2 days retired. We will be fishing and going to Victors at the marina and hopefully make it to Andale's this year.I know we will hit Felipe's this year for Lobster & Steak with a breathtaking view. maybe I should be a tour guide with all these reviews! HA! HA! HA! I hope I see some of you down there and may you all have a wonderful vacation.We will be at the docks on Sept. 4,6,10 and 12th around 6pm with hopefully a lot of fish on board. Come down and check us out. We will be on board the Serena with Captain Steve Torres and Freddie our mate and amigos. Freddie makes some kick a$$ ceviche!
I will post a report when I get back.

Robert

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm

Congratulations on your retirement, Robert. Enjoy every minute of it.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Have a great trip, enjoy, relax and no whining whatsoever :-) and yes, do post a report, it'll be fun to read.

Greetings

Mogens

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:09 pm

If there is any whining going on then you better have some cheese with it.

Joyce

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:18 pm

DELETED

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:19 am

Just a few notes to show how folks are different.
1) Anyone who makes a wakeup call to my room is in immediate danger.
2) Mrs. Bear is a wonderful cook and would go nuts not cooking for a week, which is why we are staying in a condo.
3) Wait a minute, wakeup call??? It's a vacation!!! If I want to do somthing bad enough I'll wake up for it, otherwise DO NOT DISTURB THE BEAR.

But best and most important od all, I'll be there in 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:00 am

Have a great time Mr. & Mrs. Bear :)

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:18 am

a couple of mottos that I like to keep in mind...

> I feel sorry for the people who don't ever get a little drunk once in a while...when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day !

> how you gonna drink all day if you don't start in the morning ?

and my personal favourite...

> everyone needs to believe in something and I believe I'll have another beer !

...sonofdob

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm

sonofdob wrote:a couple of mottos that I like to keep in mind...

> I feel sorry for the people who don't ever get a little drunk once in a while...when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day !

> how you gonna drink all day if you don't start in the morning ?

and my personal favourite...

> everyone needs to believe in something and I believe I'll have another beer !

...sonofdob

great ones... the first one is one of my favorites that is for sure....