Boat hit whale

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Boat hit whale

Post by palapa_gal » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:30 am

Taking this from the AllVallarta board and posting it here as I really think we need to spread the word about boats illegally approaching the whales.
Two days ago was one of the saddest days in all seasons that I have been working with whales... We were witnesses of a boat hitting a whale. The Geronimo, (a boat without permit) hit a whale. They came way too close, some other boats already talked to them by radio, but, he ignored all advises and hit a whale. The dorsalfin got cut off.. and there was a lot of blood. It seems the whale did survive, but the dorsalfin will never grow again.

Gerinomo, owned by cruceros Princessa, was reported but the authorities have never done anything in the past against this company. For years they have ignored all laws. The sealion in the Terminal Maritima is still there too, while everybody knows it is drying out everyday when he is "entertaining" the tourists. For 10 US you can take a picture with a sealion.

So, for all tourists coming to Vallarta that take a boattrip, please, go only with a boat that has a permit. In case it does not have a permit and the captain somehow does approach whales, let him know that he is not allowed to. He knows, but some capatains seem to think they will recieve better tips at the end if they give an opportunity to the tourists to make pictures of whales.
Geronimo's version (added Feb 14, 2006, 5:44PM by Mogens, confirmed by direct contact with the company) from AllVallarta.com forum.
Sad, that is what I am... really sad.” End quote.
Sad isn’t all you are, pathetic would be a better word. Yes a tragic accident involving a whale did occur in Puerto Vallarta, all you had to do was watch primero noticias to find out about it. What is even more tragic is that a certain person “todopoderosa” decided to take advantage and with no actual proof, or credibility, try to destroy a company’s reputation. A meeting took place with the proper authorities, the harbor master, the navy, and by a group of marine biologists, as well as many of Vallarta’s tour company’s including the Geronimo, as well as Cielo abierto, the company who employs “todopoderosa” Astrid and no formal accusation was made against the Geronimo or anyone else for that matter because there was no witness or proof to determine who caused this terrible accident. The Geronimo boat was not involved in any way with the whale accident. The Geronimo is not a whale watching boat, the tour for this boat is a snorkeling; diving tour to the Marieta Island, which if you know anything about whale watching in Vallarta, you would realize that the highest rated sightseeing spot is directly in route from the main marina terminal to the Marieta islands, and it has been the boats route for over 10 years. During this season we are extremely mindful and respectful of the marine life as we are at any moment in Vallarta’s water. As to the accusations made, the authorities have taken no formal action because it didn’t happen. For starters it sounds extremely unlikely that something like this could happen, and not a single person on a whale watching boat, have a camera to back up the story, that is the first thing on your recommendation list. Secondly a boat would be extremely affected if hit by a whale, the damage it would cause would not allow the boat motor, or propeller to function properly, the boat has no physical damage, it has been functioning every single day since the supposed “accident”, had it happened the first people to notice or complain would be the same passengers a board the boat, not a single one collaborates with any part of “todopoderosa” story. And finally this directed to “todopoderosa” when you make such a serious and damaging accusation at least have your facts straight. The Geronimo is not owned nor operated by cruceros princesa, nor does it have any affliation with the sea lion or Vallarta adventures. And to the public in general, I hope that educated people will not be fooled by such false accusations, most likely made with the intent to harm a companies business.
It’s an extremely competitive business and I find it pathetic of “todopoderosa” to make such false accusations, in hope of getting her own company a little edge. We are currently taking legal action against this defamation of character caused by this false accusation and the person responsible, as well as the seriousness of threats being made towards the Geronimo on the message boards. Thank you for taking the time to read this message, I hope this helps clear up any doubts this false accusation has caused, the reason this reply has taken the time it has is that we were unaware of such accusations until today.
Sincerely
Geronimo Administration
Please everyone when you are planning to go out in the bay whale watching please make sure that the boat has a license to do so and if you happen to be on a boat that is not licensed and the captain approaches them let them know that you do not approve of this and report them when you get back to shore. Don't know if reporting them will do any good but it won't hurt to try.

There is a list some where of the boats that have permits for whale watching so if someone has the list could you please post it. Thanks.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:48 am

Interesting to see what Geronimo's side of the story is.....
https://www.puertovallarta.net/tours/to ... sortvalue=

PacificoSportfishing
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by PacificoSportfishing » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:45 am

We came across a dead whale yesterday, can't say if it's the same one, but chances are it was. It had been dead awhile, and was holding lots of dorado.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:05 pm

I clicked on the link, but saw nothing about this incident from Geronimo's side. We have gone out with Geronimo twice in the past and had a great time on their snorkle tours. I would definately like to hear their side.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:36 pm

here is a link for approved vessels but I think I missed the memo on live links not sure what thats all about so if my link needs to be changed just let me know thanks.
http://www.puertovallartawhalewatching. ... sting.html

very sad if this boat caused it to die very sad indeed.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:19 pm

michelle/tyler wrote:here is a link for approved vessels but I think I missed the memo on live links not sure what thats all about so if my link needs to be changed just let me know thanks.
http://www.puertovallartawhalewatching. ... sting.html

very sad if this boat caused it to die very sad indeed.
Thanks Michelle but that list is for the 2006 season. Need to find the one for 2007.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:56 pm

oops does it change every year.

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:55 pm

yes, licenses change every year as does the colour of the flag that identifies those that are licensed. Unfortunately the license doesn't guarantee common sense.

We were on a tour with Open Air Expeditions on Jan 05. We found that the small pangas that were affiliated with Vallarta Adventures (as is the Geronimo) showed the absolute worst seamanship and safety. They would cut across the bows of other vessels (with almost no room to spare) just so they could be in the front of the line to watch and follow the whales. They had zero concern for the mammals they were chasing and came far too close to them every single time. Does Geronimo have a side to tell? Not very likely, they got too close and hit the whale, the whale didn't hit them. Hopefully Chico will post the pictures here that he has on another board, you will see how horrible the injuries to this majestic creature truly are and that it's survival is questionable. And THAT my friends, was done by humans too bloody intent on greed and the hope of bigger tips.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Whale

Post by Jennybean » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 pm

http://notivallarta.com/notas.php?id=18 ... s_noticias

Link to the story...article is in spanish but the pictures are there. WARNING - they are disturbing.

First - the Geronimo is not a legal whale watching permited vessel this season. [edit: the Vallarta Tribune posts the current list in every edition, both paper and online, if you want to find it]

Two - the whale is alive at present, but in considerable distress.

Three - this incident occurred in full view of several legal whale watching vessels, which is likely why you are not hearing anything of the Geronimo's "side of the story"...they were in the wrong, 100%, and I suspect they know it.

Four - Cruceros Princesa, the company that owns this vessel, has long had a reputation of being less than respectful of the marine life in the bay. How they continue to get permits for their other vessels is a mystery (not really a mystery, we all know money talks...)

Anyone going to PV in the next few weeks needs to speak out, spread the word, do NOT support unpermited tours intercepting whales, you have a right as a paying customer to speak out and speak up.

At present so far Cruceros is ducking responsibility, but the other tour operators are spreading the word locally. Complaints have been filed, evidence is being gathered (there are apparently lots of still shots from other boats of this happening), and the story has appeared in print and will be shortly on television according to Astrid (Open Air Expeditions).

I will personally never use or recommend their boats ever again, the Geronimo included. I have friends who have been out on their boat (outside whale season) before in the past and had a grand time...they are all horrified by this, as am I.

I can't put into words how horrified, saddened and furious I am at this.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:19 pm

I was watching the Princesa Yelapa one day from a Playa Los Muertos condo balcony, when they spotted a pod of dolphins, they made a hard right directly into and cut off the pod just to get a closer look.

Sure we all want to see the sea life up close, but I was horrified to see such disregard for them. I swore that I would never patronize any boat run by Cruceros Princesa. After mentioning this story to a few locals, it seems what I witnessed was far from being an isolated incident by this tour operator.

Cruceros Princesa also owns Princesa Vallarta, Sarape and Vagabundo.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for doing the update Jenn. I read about it but just haven't had a chance to post it.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm

Just a damn disgrace. I too will never use any of their services.Those are prop cuts.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 pm

speechless :cry:

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Whale Permit List

Post by Jennybean » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:28 pm

I've been trying in vain to find the link I had previously located for the 2007 approved vessel list, with no luck. And this week's online edition of the V.T. doesn't have it...

I'll keep checking Lori and if I find it I'll send it to you.
Those are prop cuts
I suspected, but not being experienced on the ocean with boats I was hoping someone with experience would come forward and confirm that, thanks Howard. I'm even more heartsick now just thinking of the awful pain and confusion this poor whale must have gone through, and is still going through.

Please spread the word guys, speak with your hearts minds mouths and most importantly, your wallets. I would hate to think this beautiful creature might die in vain for something that was BEYOND preventable.

:cry:

EDIT: found the link, it appeared in the Jan 14-20/07 online version...

http://www.vallartatribune.com/natural% ... INDEX1.htm

Mogens or one of the mods - could we trouble you to take that link and a copy of that list and tack it somewhere, maybe the top of this forum, for new visitors? Just so they know the boats that carry the proper identification, so they can make informed and mammal-friendly decisions about the whale watching trips they might be contemplating. Mil gracias.

DELETED

Re: Whale

Post by DELETED » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 pm

DELETED

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Re: Whale Permit List

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Jennybean wrote: Mogens or one of the mods - could we trouble you to take that link and a copy of that list and tack it somewhere, maybe the top of this forum, for new visitors? Just so they know the boats that carry the proper identification, so they can make informed and mammal-friendly decisions about the whale watching trips they might be contemplating. Mil gracias.
Ok, I copied the list and made it into a sticky at the top.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm

I still would like to hear what the owners of Geronimo have to say...
Curious mind...
Very very sad that this should happen to a such beautiful Animal... Very disturbing heart breaking photos...

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:28 am

I seriously doubt there will ever be any kind of public statement from this company.

Thank goodness there were reputable operators close enough by to see and report this sad incident. There are a posters on T/A, that were on Geronimo recently who complained to the crew about how close they were getting to the whales, their complaints were blown off.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Statements

Post by Jennybean » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:40 am

A public statement from the company would be akin to an admission of guilt, considering the illegal activity that resulted in that whale's injuries and all of the witnesses to that activity.

tequilagirl
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by tequilagirl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:33 pm

I always try to spread the word about permits when ever I'm there & it was nice to see Ambra our fab tour company rep doing the same thing at our welcome meeting.

I'm surprised to hear that Vallarta Adventure boats were also stepping out of line as they are normally very good & have recently purchased 2 new boats that are designed to be much quieter than the pangas & therefore cause much less disturbance.

I have a big beef with the pirate ship, they go out twice a day, firing their cannons & playing loud music, I'm sure the sea life loves that!
I have also seen them hounding whales & they are definately not licenced.

I think that they should be banned from going out while the whales are there, but, I guess, that's the 'money talking' thing again.

I'm sure it's lots of fun but you can just as much fun partying on land.

Just my humble opinion.