Henna tattoo's - BEWARE!!

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master
Henna tattoo's - BEWARE!!

Post by tandr2 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:57 am

We've been back for just under a week. While we were in PV, 4 of us got Henna tattoos from two different beach vendors. My oldest daughter's arm swelled a bit but my youngest daughter's arm is still infected a week later. I did some internet research and found out that they weren't using real Henna ink...it was most likely black hair dye that causes reactions in some people - even as serious as death! One of the main things is if they tell you to wash the ink of within an hour...which both artists told us to do. My son & I didn't react at all. I took my youngest daughter to the doctor today because it was getting worse and little blisters were coming out. He prescribed a cream and some pills. He also told me to give her Benadryl. Basically it's an allergic reaction. It's super itchy too. Here's a picture of her arm...

http://tandr2.myphotoalbum.com/view_pho ... Morgan_003

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Wow - thanks Tracy - I never would have known that and I had been thinking of getting a henna when we're down next.

Hope your daughter gets better soon - that looks very sore. Other than that I hope you guys really enjoyed your trip!

Sherry

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Yes, we had a really good trip...I kept a daily journal and I'll be posting a trip report soon... as for pictures, I have to get them off my camcorder and then I'll post them.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Sorry but I am an old school fart but....

Post by pdxbuff » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 am

why does anyone want to decorate their bodies with "body art?" Can't you live with what you've been born with?
Wait until you turn 60+ and see what your art looks like!
JMO & $ .02.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:42 am

Henna tattoos aren't permanent and we thought it would be cool for the kids to show their friends. As for real tattoos, Robin & I have some of those too...it's a personal choice.

My post was just meant as a warning that the beach vendors are not using real Henna ink.

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:18 am

there is nohing wrong with tattoos, if everyone was the same the world would be a boring place, right? freedonm of expression, it's a wonderful thing!!

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:44 am

I got a henna tattoo my 1st trip to Vallarta and had an allergic reaction (lots of bumps) which took many months to go away, so I decided never to do that again. Instead when I was there last month I went to Aguascalientes and got a real one.

We decorate our bodies because it is art and as you said it is "Body Art" and our skin is the canvas. Some like it more than others, it is a personal preference. And yes, I live with what I was born with everyday, but I also wear earrings, bracelets and a variety of necklaces everyday for "decoration".....I NEVER take those off either. And by the way, I'm 50 and my art still looks excellent!! And with really nice skin, a sense of humour and a great attitude it always will. Like I said, just personal preference.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:22 am

Everything is a personal choice, no? Doesn't make it right.. Or wrong. Some call it "body art". Maybe "defacing". don't know.. I do know that I would like to have a tattoo of a dragon curling around my right calf. I don't want to have the pain. I hate needles. Take care and hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Chuck... 8)

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 pm

you got the pain part right, it definitely smarts!! That one was 5 hours worth. But after childbirth x's 4 it's a piece of cake. LOL

HAPPY NEW YEAR <:-)- 8V8 [rocks] E)E <:-)- !!!

sunshine311
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sunshine311 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 pm

This exact same thing happened to my fiance when we were in Mazatlan 2 years ago. He got a big dragon tattoo on his arm and within a couple of hours it was red and swollen. The next day little blisters started to form all over it. The intense itchiness was almost intolorable for him. He went to the resort doctor who gave him some cream which helped a bit, and all he could do was let it heal on it's own. The vendors on the beach said they've seen it before and that it was an allergic reaction. It took months to heal.
Until you're post, I've never heard of this happening to anyone else.

Here's a picture of his arm....

OK never mind, I have no idea how to attach pictures! LOL[/url]

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 am

My daughter's is still itchy sometimes and it's still white but I think it's because she basically tanned around the tattoo...we'll see next summer when she tans from being outside. Hopefully it doesn't scar. :(

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 am

I have heard that its not the best idea to get the henna tattoos in foreign countries. I have had them done here in Manitoba and I love them. I was thinking of getting one in PV too but I don't really want to risk having a reaction. Too bad there isn't any recommendation for "safe" hennas on this board. As far as tattoos go....my baby, who will be 18 in May, keeps reminding me that we were getting mother/daughter tattoos when she was 18 and I was 50. Well like I said she is 18 in May and I'm 50 in December so I better start thinking of what kind of tattoo I want!

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:02 am

I got my first and only tattoo in Puerto Vallarta in 2005...I love it...but my skin didn't take the ink very well and it's faded a bit...I need to get it re-colored one day...Robin got his second tattoo in PV at the same time and his is still nice. :)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Ouch, that doesn't look nice, hope your daughter gets over that soon. My son reacts like that and more with mosquito bites... so you can imagine we are a bit defensive with him when it comes to bugs and things related.

Regarding tattoos, I'm from a time when they were only used by thugs and sailors (read Popeye...), so for me tattoos aren't really very attractive or something I'd even ponder doing to myself, then there are the health related issues, here in México, for example, if you've been tattooed you can't be a blood donor.

Greetings

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Tattoos

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:26 pm

here in México, for example, if you've been tattooed you can't be a blood donor.
Um...I'd check that again if I were you. Not according to the health care professionals in PV...nor Canadian Blood Services (I'm a regular donor).

You only have to take 12 months off once you have a permanent tattoo done before donating again, even if you had the tattoo done out of country like I did (had mine done in PV 9 years ago). After the 12 months is over you are eligible to donate once again. Screening now on blood donations is extremely sophisticated - everything from Hep to HIV.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, was informed by a friend here in Guadalajara that she was not able to be a donor, this was a year or two ago, maybe things have changed since then. I don't remember her mentioning anything about a time lapse (12 months or anything like that). But then if it were to be updated, it'd be once you get a tattoo you can't give blood for 12 months at least.

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Donating

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:25 pm

Have your friend call Pam T. in PV at HealthCare Resources. She'll know the scoop...she used to run most of the donation clinics in the bay before starting HCR. She might still be running them, who knows - that woman never stops. LOL

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Henna tattoo

Post by kagnew64 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Youngest son got a henna tattoo in Cancun seven or eight years ago.
It took three or four months for the reaction to subside. I don't think
he has any permanent scars or tanning problem. I, too, thought he
was an isolated incident.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Henna Horrors

Post by smitty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:50 am

Quite a painful lesson to learn . God knows what sort of mixture they are putting on your skin . A quick google on henna found some very disturbing health issues - read categories #3 and #5 . :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna#Health_Effects

BellaLuna
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by BellaLuna » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:51 pm

I had always been an avid blood donor until I started coming to Vallarta. When I returned and was asked if I had left the city limits and ventured into the jungle I would not be able to donate and would have to wait at least 6 months, but since I am always in Vallarta and travel the country, I have had to come to terms with the fact that I will not be able to donate again. That hurt, but it is understandable.