First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Mael

First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta

Post by Mael » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:50 pm

Wow I cant believe how bad the timeshare people areat the airport , you cant even get off the plane without them shouting and outright lying to you telling us they werea taxi service , they actually tied uop several people who thought they were something else. Friends warned us but I never thought they would not let you out of the airport before the timeshare people got their hooks out . Puerto Vallarta is going to learn the hard way , tourists will not put up with this if going to a destination means harrasment even at the airport people will start going elsewhere.I have heard many people say oh its just Mexico but people come to relax and while I have no problem with them setting up info booths the harssmnet at the airport is wrong . We were told that the room they built is new and that the mayor of Puerto Vallarta is a big timeshare supporter ( kickbacks?) well what is he going to do when people take their tourist dollars elsewhere .Somewhere else for us next time , too bad realy Puerto Vallarta is a beutiful place .

mardi
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Re:First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta

Post by mardi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:43 pm

Is it really that bad? To where they tell you they are your taxi even? We are arriving in PV on March 17 on a charter which means an MLT vacation rep should be there directing us to the bus that takes us to our hotel. Will a timeshare "shark" try to "disguise" themselves as perhaps someone from MLT so we could possibly miss that transfer to our hotel? Very nice. The timeshare people were pretty bad when we were in Ixtapa, but we just got used to them and they were not in the airport at all that I recall.

S+G

Post by S+G » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:25 pm

When we arrived the timeshare people lied to us and told us they were our tour reps , fortunatley we were ready for them .When you exit customs , (red light green light)and go through the doors just keep going left ignoring the timesharks your tour rep will be outside the timeshare area holding an official sign . They will try and get you to stay but ususally a polite no gracias or a good laugh makes them go away , I do sympathize with the first poster however its getting to the point in Pvr that Acapulco was several years ago with the timesharks and tourism just died out there I fear Pvr is headed down the same path .Money talks though and unless the tourists get more vocal abut the timesharks they will get even worse.

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:41 am

I have tried to make this exact point several times over the past couple of years. It seems like nobody gets the message. There has been post after post complaining of the aggressiveness of the TS sharks and how much it turns tourist's off of PV. It's a shame nobody wants to listen.

I have never been harrassed to the point that I wouldn't want to return but, many have. That isn't a good thing. There is obviously a "Real" problem.

I'll know more about it in 16 days when I am down there. I'll take note.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:49 pm

To Mardi... You will find your MLT rep by their uniforms and MLT signs. You will run the gaunlet of TS reps immediately upon leaving immigration. You will not need a map, anything free, or anything else between immigration and customs. Just keep walking and find you luggage and your MLT reps and begin your vacation. They can be a pain, but they have never ruined my vacation in PV and this was our 10th time since june 1999.

barbarah
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by barbarah » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:29 am

I agree with Chuck. I was there last November and didn't even look for or see TS people. Our AK rep was dressed in uniform, checked off our names on their register, directed us to our taxi and off to our hotel. Took a total of 10 minutes upon arrival. If you allow the TS people to discourage you from returning to PV, there'll be 100 more to take your place.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Newspaper article in Guadalajara

Post by webmaster » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:51 pm

I understand that things are not fine on the subject, I myself have redirected your complaints to the Tourism Secretary for the State of Jalisco (which includes Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta), here's an article from yesterday (March 9th, 2004) in "El Informador" one of the largest newspapers here in Guadalajara. I transcribe and translate most of it here:

Puerto Vallarta, Jal.- The Municipal Tourism director, José Luis Díaz Borioli, has informed that in a universe of 3100 interviewed national and international tourists, 70% complained of the time share promotors. Based on this fact, he says, they will evaluate the situation and correct the misconducts.

The poll was conducted at the Airport module by the Municipal, State and Federal Tourism Offices together with the Minicipality of Cabo Corrientes and the Universities of Guadalajara and the Universidad Autónoma of Nayarit.

They explained that not many national tourist opinions were obtained, but there were many sad cases, where tourists from other countries who declared they'd never visit Puerto Vallarta again due to the frauds that these people subjected them to.

Informador / Lorena Moguel
So they are looking into it and seems they are interested in solving the issues... hopefully it'll get better. As I've commented before, on the streets the issue is not that terrible, but it can be exasperating at times... but if you are on vacations there is no need to have things like that become an issue.

Greetings

Mogens

mael

Re:thanks Mogens

Post by mael » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:35 pm

Thank You for the re[ply and the very interesting article.As I have stated I find the vast majority of TS operators or OPC"S to be very pleasant but this thing at the Airport its just too much , thanks again .

nj

Post by nj » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:11 pm

We have been coming to PV for 10 years, so we know how to be pleasant and just say "No, gracias" to the TS people on the streets. But that "gauntlet" that arrivals have to endure at the airport is a disgrace. I can see how it would intimidate new arrivals. Hopefully, they will rethink that decision. If they don't, just keep walking, find your tour rep, and get out of the airport as quickly as possible. The area has too much to enjoy to let the TS people ruin it.

cjackson1481
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by cjackson1481 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:17 am

Pretend they're telemarketers! Tell them no thank you. Tell them no. Hangup/Walk away/Ignore 'em

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:01 am

FYI, An excerpt from the US State Department advisory for Mexico at http://travel.state.gov/mexico.html
American citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some time-share sales representatives. Buyers should be fully informed and take sufficient time to consider their decisions before signing time-share contracts, ideally after consulting an independent attorney. They should resist pressure to sign a contract the same day they see the model unit. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should never sign a contract that includes clauses penalizing the buyer who cancels within five days.

svedish
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by svedish » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Just came back last night after another wonderful stay in PV. Yes, there are sharks...yes, turn left after customs (and keep walking quickly) but all the ones we encountered were fine with a "no thank you". I kept running into the same one and it kind of became a funny game with both of us laughing. The last time he told me "I have something WONDERFUL to show you", I replied....That's exactly what my husband told me and I ended up pregnant with TWINS. He told me that was his funniest response. Don't take it too seriously, just walk away if need be. If they will not accept no thank you, they don't deserve any more than for you to keep going in the direction you were headed. They didn't ruin or in anyway spoil my vacation.

huggs2ewe
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by huggs2ewe » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:10 pm

"So they are looking into it and seems they are interested in solving the issues... hopefully it'll get better. As I've commented before, on the streets the issue is not that terrible, but it can be exasperating at times... but if you are on vacations there is no need to have things like that become an issue." MOGENS

I am glad that they are going to look into the problems at the Airport. I felt that I was pretty ready to deal with the TS people having read the posts here. But I was initially fooled at the Airport... getting off and expecting the Tour reps to be there... the TS asked who we were looking for and I said Airtransat and he directed me to a corner booth. I got suspecious when he mentioned a map... looked around and realized we had to go to customs at the left and guided my thankful party out the door. But they out and out mislead people and this should be stopped. And they should not be the first people you meet, it is confusing if you have never been there and many people unknowingly will be doped.

On the other hand outside of the airport though approached especially on the Malecone we had no difficulty with no thank you and althoug a few continued to call out we had no problems what so ever. a No thank you and we already have our tours booked was fine.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Complaints on the airport TS Shark booth

Post by webmaster » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:02 pm

I've been informed that there is an actual legal case being brought up against the airport booth, so it's an ongoing issue and we can cross our fingers that they will eliminate it soon.

Greetings

Mogens

7TsBeachBum

Post by 7TsBeachBum » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:16 am

travel-babe (Mar 11, 2004 07:17 p.m.):
Pretend they're telemarketers! Tell them no thank you. Tell them no. Hangup/Walk away/Ignore 'em
TrvlBabe,

Better put than any yet.
The OPC'S make daily bets.
You should not have any regrets,
By telling them Nada ,
Remember it's the aqua,
that can really ruin your trip,
watch the bay from day to day,
just in case finally your ship...
should sail and you be less than ready,
from listening to folks who're less than steady,
about "trying to make a living".
Remember you've done givin',
What you want to to enjoy your vacation,
And walk away from altercation,
Because you can.
K. Man?

Cheer up folks you can vacate (look it up) in Mexico.

manfred from ottawa/ca

Post by manfred from ottawa/ca » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:19 pm

tell them your single or bankrott lol

Ajvoggy

Post by Ajvoggy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:02 pm

What's the matter with you people?? Did you not know that "It's all part of the show" a true Mexican tradition!! Just ignore em and have fun. I have been many times to PV and I consider it part of the experiance. And to top it off you can get $200 american just to attend You just have to know how to say no and tell time. Think about it people your are the architect of your own vacation......enjoy

Calma

Re:First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta for Mael

Post by Calma » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:25 pm

Its a shame you felt harrassed at the airport. But more of a shame that you feel you won't return
to PV because of that minor incident. You are right, that the airport timeshare people are very
stubborn and persistent. That can also happen when touring the town. But most people just keep
walking, don't even acknowledge the timeshare folks. Or if thats too rude, just say "not interested"
and keep walking, thats what I do. Don't give them the time of day cause once you stop, forget it.
The real taxis are waiting outside anyway, so just keep on going and have an awesome time!

Calma

Re:First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta for Mael

Post by Calma » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:28 pm

Its a shame you felt harrassed at the airport. But more of a shame that you feel you won't return
to PV because of that minor incident. You are right, that the airport timeshare people are very
stubborn and persistent. That can also happen when touring the town. But most people just keep
walking, don't even acknowledge the timeshare folks. Or if thats too rude, just say "not interested"
and keep walking, thats what I do. Don't give them the time of day cause once you stop, forget it.
The real taxis are waiting outside anyway, so just keep on going and have an awesome time!

jillybean76
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jillybean76 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:01 pm

I was in PV in April/04 for the first time and we got suckered into a tour at the Mayan Palace(weren't aware of the sharks)............5hrs later we were outta there. All for tickets to the Marigalante pirate ship ride. Now, I am travelling to PV alone in August. If I go right through that little room where all the timeshare people are and straight outside there will be taxis out there that can take me to my hotel? Are they white or yellow taxis or does it matter? Last time we went on all inclusive so we got to take a bus but this time I am going to have to take a cab.