First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:First and Last Visit To Puerto Vallarta

Post by pvdeb » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:37 pm

When you come out of Customs, walk straight through that "timeshare room" without making eye contact or speaking to any of the "reps" there. Exit that room and turn around to your right and you will see large glass exit doors. To the right of the doors you'll see a sign that says Taxis and a window where you go to buy your taxi ticket. Based on where you're going, you'll pay the fare there and be given a ticket, which you take outside of the doors and there's plenty of people who will direct you to a taxi (they are white, the yellow taxis can't pick up from inside the airport). You don't have to pay the taxi driver again, unless you want to tip him for helping put your bags in or out at your hotel. Very easy.

jillybean76
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jillybean76 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:18 pm

Thanks I did not know that I had to buy a taxi ticket right at the airport. Thanks for the information,

manfred from ottawa/ca

Post by manfred from ottawa/ca » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:46 am

hello my dear travlers to P.Vallarta . tell the TS people you are single & broke & no GRACIA !!!! i never have a proplem realy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollyj

Post by Hollyj » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:17 pm

If it does get that annoying - just tell them you live in PV- (a white lie of sorts if you are going to be there for a week ;-) or 'no tengo tiempo gracias" (I don't have time thank you)
It's always worked for me.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:21 pm

First off to everyone, you will not be hassled at the airport if you just KEEP WALKING! Don't stop, don't talk, and NO your taxi or rep IS NOT in that room!

Go out the glass sliding doors. There are the reps! They will hold an Apple, MLT, Transglobal, or Hotel sign, or a sign with your name on it.

If you need a taxi go to the TAXI BOOTH! The taxi booth to the right is clearly marked TAXI. This is where you buy the taxi ticket. The zones are clearly listed. This is what you do in most Mexican airports and bus stations. Do not just get a taxi, buy your ticket at the booth to get the correct price.

I have never been bothered at the airport, because I know how it works, and now, so do you:)

nj

Post by nj » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:16 am

After exiting immigration and customs, you will have to go through the timeshare room. Just smile and keep walking. Then go to the taxi ticket counter, tell them where you want to go, pay, and they will tell you where to go.

Grace

Post by Grace » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:39 pm

Wow I am surprised, not one person approached us. (Just came back Saturday) I was prepared for all the timeshare people, and not one person stopped us. I had a great trip, and miss it already. I'll be back in November.

citygirl

Post by citygirl » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 am

So true bzy1. They do it at all resort airports, P. V., Acapulco, Cancun, etc. Just keep walking and exit. Your travel rep, will have a sign outside the doors. That's what we always do. And your travel agaent, should tell you the color of the shirts, and sometimes the airline will show you a video on the plane of the shirt colors, and signs they are holding up, as you exit the airport.

gis7366
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by gis7366 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:39 pm

I'll agree that the timeshare people are kind of annoying...
We didn't get harassed at the airport (thank goodness), but we got harassed on the streets that's for sure!

My boyfriend doesn't like to be rude to people, so we pretty much talked to all of the timeshare people on the streets...once they found out that we were under 28 (legal age for buying a timeshare is over 28) they let us get on our way....but lemme tell yah, it was a slow walk to the malecon :) LOL

So, if you don't want to be sucked into a timeshare program, tell them your under 28 and there is nothing they can do :)

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:22 am

I suspect that many people that are having really bad experiences with the TS people must have trouble saying "no", or are otherwise not terribly confident people. Sorry if I sound like I'm belittling (sp?) your bad experiences, but my wife and I and many of our friends have been to PV many times. I hardly notice the TS people at the airport, because I just ignore them..yes..call me rude...but I don't even bother with a "no gracias"...or bother to lie about "broke", or "I own a place"...I come through the gate...turn left...and keep going.

My logic is that once you open the line of communication at all...even to say "no"...you've already stepped into their turf. They WANT to engage you...they do it all day long!

I do speak to the ones in Centro however, and yes..they can seem persistent, but again, after my initial "no"....far as I'm concerned..thus concludes our "conversation".

Learn to stick up for yourselves a wee bit, and enjoy the rest of what PV has to offer!

Executary

Post by Executary » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:36 am

Walk away from the timeshare sharks, so no gracias and move on... ignore them.... and continue to....

don't look back, otherwise they'll hawk you.

Margaritaville

Post by Margaritaville » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:24 pm

Just returned from 3 great weeks in PV. Only bothered by TS people twice. Just told them, "no timeshare" and they left us alone. I just don't understand why some people get so upset by these people. Maybe its because some people are determined not to be happy and have a good time.

nj

Post by nj » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:17 pm

We recently returned from our 10th visit to the PV area. My policy is to just keep walking through the "timeshare room" outside of customs. If you are looking for a tour rep, they will be in the next area--not right outside of customs. If you want a taxi, go to the taxi booth. Don't give the timeshare guys any opening at all. Don't allow this experience to keep you away from PV.

jamie

Post by jamie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:42 pm

jillywilly76 (Jun 30, 2004 11:01 a.m.):
I was in PV in April/04 for the first time and we got suckered into a tour at the Mayan Palace(weren't aware of the sharks)............5hrs later we were outta there. All for tickets to the Marigalante pirate ship ride. Now, I am travelling to PV alone in August. If I go right through that little room where all the timeshare people are and straight outside there will be taxis out there that can take me to my hotel? Are they white or yellow taxis or does it matter? Last time we went on all inclusive so we got to take a bus but this time I am going to have to take a cab.
go right out to the booth that says TAXI and buy your ticket and they will take you directly to your hotel. should be $19.00 I do it every september by myself, I shake my head NO all the way to the taxi booth and buy my ticket. I just remember what my mother told me NOTHING is free ....

driemer

Post by driemer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:22 pm

I really like Puerto Vallarta and I would never let the timeshare people keep me from coming back. True, my usual response is "no thank you" and that is enough. Sometimes I will ask them, Don't you remember I came to your presentation last year? Then I tell them, I didn't have enough money last year and I have even less now. Then we talk about the weather or Vallarta. I really don't have a problem with the time share people. But yes, there are a lot of them!

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lanhawk » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:49 am

jillywilly76 (Jun 30, 2004 11:01 a.m.):
I was in PV in April/04 for the first time and we got suckered into a tour at the Mayan Palace(weren't aware of the sharks)............5hrs later we were outta there. All for tickets to the Marigalante pirate ship ride. Now, I am travelling to PV alone in August. If I go right through that little room where all the timeshare people are and straight outside there will be taxis out there that can take me to my hotel? Are they white or yellow taxis or does it matter? Last time we went on all inclusive so we got to take a bus but this time I am going to have to take a cab.
Hi All,
I am surprized so many people are having hassles with time share people. I took my first trip to PV last year, and for at least one month prior I faithfully checked the messages and advice on this board. The wonderful people here told me that when I got off the plane, and finished customs, that I would enter a room where these timeshare people would be waiting, my instructions were to ignore them and head straight outside to the taxis. I did exactly that and that set the tone for a wonderful trip. When downtown, I noticed the timeshare people but just kept walking and they didn't brother me. A few would call out and try to get me to respond but I just kept walking and ignored them. At 500 bucks a referal, I can see why many people are trying to sell timeshares, and the competition must be huge. I have known some people that go to their presentations then say no and pick up 200 bucks but I feel that since I don't like them playing games with me, I shouldn't play games with them either. If I ever wanted to go to a presentation, it would be because I was interested in the property not the come-on prize. If one of them interupted my dinner, then I would politely ask them to leave or I would get the manager. Restaurant managers know that if tourist stop eating at their establishment, they'll go under rather quickly . Like others, I would suggest you give PV another chance, your're smarter now, and PV has so much to offer.

karinav3
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by karinav3 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:38 pm

hey just go to one of the presentations and take there money,, read the other postings re: timeshare..
they give you cash, alcohol & food just for showing up..

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:40 pm

I guess after 20 years of visiting PV I just don't see those people anymore. I just walk right on out of the airport and grab a cab or a bus. In NYC it's called putting your game face on. Ignore them, don't stop. Don't be rude, but don't engage either. Just be a smart traveller. It's not just PV, it's anywhere.

Keep in mind that not everyone waiting outside of customs is a bad guy. There are legitimate tour operators that are trying to get to their people before they get hung up or lost. Some you will recognize year after year, as you will some of the baggage men. Know who you are supposed to be met by. They usually have a sign with a logo for either the tour company or the resort you are booked at. If you call ahead they may even give you a specific location or the name of the representative who will meet you. If your tour operator has sent you luggage tags in your tour package, use them. It will be easier for them to identify you. Know the logo. Know the name. Many hotels and resorts have similar sounding names. Know what the correct name is. Sounds simple but I can tell you that I've been in a van with new arrivals who have said such things as "it's called something del Mar." To say the least it makes for a very long and frustrating cab ride. Uggh.

If you are not being met by someone, when you walk out of customs there are doors immediately in front of you. There are cabs waiting outside. You will be steered to your left around some ropes (this changes sometimes) but then steer right again and go out those doors that are directly opposite the exit door from customs. There is usually one or two men who are acting as dispatchers for the line of cabs. You may be double or tripled up with other couples or parties that are headed in the same direction. ASK the price before load your luggage and get into the cab or van. Your luggage may determine whether you are assigned a cab or a van also. If you're travelling with large pieces, golf clubs, surfboards, scuba equipment, etc. you may have no choice but to share a van. Go with the flow.

Know where you are going. There are plenty of maps of PV online. Know where your hotel is. The cab fare to the Hotel Zone will be different from the fare to the Zona Romantica. Just because you've taken one cab ride does not mean the next one will cost the same. The flat fee is based on zones/distance to or from a general area. Always ask before you get in. After a day or two you will know what sounds reasonable and what doesn't. Or, the bus is the cheapest and sometimes the more entertaining mode of travel. Only $4 (pesos) from the Hotel Zone to El Centro or Sam's Club (either direction). $18 (pesos), if I remember correctly, to Punta Mita from Sam's Club. Can't beat that with a stick.

Do have some local currency on you when you arrive. Or, at the very least, small denominations of US$. Don't expect a cabbie to be able to change a US$100. Bring a wad of singles if you can't get pesos at home before you leave.

The vast majority of locals in PV are hard working, honest people. Some of the most delightful and helpful people I've had the priveledge to know over the years. There are scammers and sharks everywhere in the world. But, a few bad apples is hardly a reason to avoid an entire city. PV is one of the best vacation spots I know of for people of all ages.

bounce530
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bounce530 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:48 pm

I have only been to PV twice and both times I was NOT hasseled at all in the airport. This last time I even stood in the "TS room" cashing in some travelers checks, and talking with my trip rep. Out on the streets I had I guy from the Mayan palace help me with a crazy phone card, and another guy gave me a very useful map and dining hints. No problems at all for me with the time share guys.

hamster_627
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by hamster_627 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:07 am

My first trip to PV was back in January of this year. I went with my other half, who has been there more than a couple of times... :) He gave me the jist of the airport, TS, and the bus for our resort. He basically told me where to go, hold on to your luggage, look for the bus, a whole lotta, "No gracias, no gracias, no gracias..." and keep going. ;D We had NO problems. It helped to know ahead of time. I am forever grateful for the information he gave me. This board is helpful too. Thanks so much!!