dishonest police ???

Incidents, either bad or that could be improved in the city.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

cce0123
dishonest police ???

Post by cce0123 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:38 pm

We have traveled many time to pvr, on our last trip we were pulled over but the police, they told us if we did not give them money, that we would be taken to Jail. We acted like we spoke no Spanish, and they were forced to let us go, we had done nothing wrong as far as we knew. Has anyone else had trouble with the police on the highways?

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re:dishonest police ???

Post by matt » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:43 pm

I don't know about your particular situation, but I have been pulled over a few times by the police, in PV. Except for one time, it has always been for something that I did wrong. The one time that I was I pulled over for no apparent reason, the cop checked my breath for alcohol (by blowing into a rolled up piece of paper) and then allowed me to leave a few moments later. It was well after midnight, and fortunately I had not drinken anything at all that evening. I have seen this same cop on late-night patrol along the main road outside of the downtown areas, on several occasions. I suspect he was trying to catch someone who had been drinking, even just a few beers, to scare them into paying a bribe. I figure that in Mexico, as in other places, it's best to get a taxi, or have a non-drinker drive your car if you are planning a night on the town.

P.S. These events occurred over an "off-an-on" combined period of about 80 weeks, in PV. I'm really not THAT bad of a driver that I would get pulled over several times during a one-week vacation :-)

slippery-pete

Post by slippery-pete » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:34 pm

Unfortunately this does happen on occasion. If this does happen to you i would suggest do not pay anything. Unless you have broken the law of course and need to pay a fine. If it is serious, you will know, otherwise just ignore or argue and most likely they will get fed up and let you go. They are just after quick cash ffrom suckers.

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:01 pm

Just give them a $10 bill and avoid the hassels...............

Slippery.pete

Post by Slippery.pete » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:26 am

Big Daddy (Oct 19, 2004 07:01 p.m.):
Just give them a $10 bill and avoid the hassels...............
That is just feeding the problem. Ask them for the ticket and you will pay the authorities and they will drive off.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:18 am

has anyone seen "man on fire" ? cuz that stuff doesn't happen in pv right??

FLORIDA FRANK

Post by FLORIDA FRANK » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:30 pm

Thanks for the tips. Does having a vehicle with out of state plates mean you are many more times likely to be pulled over in a 'mordida' typp bust? I am currently purchasing a 2nd home in PV and wonder if I should re-consider bringing in a vehicle vs. having and 'old' looking rust bucket with PV plates and somewhat tinted windows. Any thoughts out ther? Thanks in advance.

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:54 pm

You are always better off with a local car in case they do the "No foreign vehicles without FM3" thing again like they did this year after Semana Santa. Plus, they are easier to fix and cheaper in the long haul, especially when you have a VW.
One other thing to consider, 90% of the cars have dents and swipes, so the cheaper the car, the better off you are. I have a 99 old style bug convertible, most repairs are under $20 US.... my friend has an US automatic VW Carbio- my transmission was $60 US to repair, hers was $2500 US to replace.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:04 am

Regarding VWs... Now that VWs are made here in Mexico (Puebla) I doubt you'll have problems with repairs if the model is more or less recent.

Brenda is right regarding the high VW repair prices though. I drive a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and repairs are definitively more expensive than say a Honda Accord repair, I speak of Guadalajara prices, which I expect are more or less the same in Vallarta.

I also would recommend you either buy a car locally or bring down an older model which you may be able to legalize soon (pre-97). Though I guess you'll need at least an FM-3 to legalize it.

Based on the current customs law, you can drive a foreign car if you fulfill all the following requirements:
1- You are a foreigner (or wife or direct relative of the owner)
2- You are legally in the country (FMT, FM3 or other)
3- The car has its one year temporal importation sticker current.

You can also run around with your import sticker expired as long as you are not stopped by the traffic police, you'll have no trouble (this is of course gambling), if stopped by the traffic police they'll see this as a great opportunity to squeeze a large amount of $ from you and if they are straight (a growing number of those in Mexico now) say goodbye to your car. If you are stopped by the Hacienda Police with your importation expired (never seen them in 6 years in Mexico) immediately say goodbye to your car...

So anyway, it can be a source of stress or fun, depending on if you like to gamble a lot ;-)

Kind regards

Mogens

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:17 am

Also, if you have a foreign plated car, only the registered drivers can drive it, and not a Mexican unless you are in the car and/or have proper authorization papers for them to drive it. My friend had Texas plates on his car and let his Mexican business partner drive it on a quick errand and it was confiscated at Gigante (Hacienda is there in Plaza Caracole)...it took over a year to get it back and mucho dinero!

Last April/May Hacienda was out by the airport every day for over a week pulling over all foreign plated cars, checking the holgram as well as for FM3's and proper entrance papers. It caused an uproar for a while, and most people were afraid to drive, except for me, with my MX plates, I could go everywhere, no problem:)

Also, any foreign plated car that dies in Mexico (say you cannot afford to fix it here, or it is totalled) must technically be removed from Mexico.....you can petition to have it delared "dead" and pay for it, or you need to haul it out.

So, in the end, if you want wheels with little hassel, buy a cheap vocho to get you around as you won't care when someone hits you, it is super cheap to fix, and if it does die, you can give it a proper burial and not pay dearly- and, they are tough little buggers and mine can get up a steep, wet hill better than most trucks and most cars san 4 wheel drive.

susieQ

Post by susieQ » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Hi i have been coming down for 3 months the last few years and hope to continue.I would like to possibly purchase something to get around with winter while there.Does anyone have any suggestions or help as where to shop for one..and what the costs would be to buy something cheap and reliable.What the cost for plates insurance ect and if the is a place to store it over the summer and cost of that. Thank-you for any help i really appreciate it.

Thank-you sue

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi Susie,
Your best bet is the Mano a Mano classified ad guide, available all over on Friday's, three pesos.
(try a six tecate store)
Prices vary, as most cars are sold by owner. There are three or four little used car lots, but they seem to be over priced.

Here is the Mano a Mano link to check it out online (just click on vehiculos)
www.manoamano.com

I suggest an old style VW sedan or the like, cheap and easy to fix.

I do not know of any car storage places, but maybe a neighbor or a friend can watch it.

Tenencias are usually in February if I am not mistaken, and you go to Plaza Marina to pay it. The cost is based on the car. My 99 VW was 1250 pesos for the year for tax, plates and circulation card.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:27 pm

Here's a small tip if you bring a U.S. car into Mexico and your U.S. state (i.e., New Mexico, Georgia, North Carolina, etc.) only issues license tags for the rear of the car:

Get some kind of decorative plate for the front of the car. It doesn't really matter what it is: a souvenir plate or something declaring your favorite football team is fine. The police around PV are used to seeing cars from states, like California, which use two license plates. I was stopped once in PV and had to explain why my car only had one tag. It wasn't really a big deal; just a minor inconvience that I could have easily avoided.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Temporal Importation of cars

Post by webmaster » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:08 am

Hi again,

This time I come with a final word on bringing cars into Mexico from foreign countries, for those that read Spanish you can read it all at: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/webadunet ... ulos_Tema1

For those who don't I now offer a summary and translation of the relevant pieces:

1- Who can import a car?
A: Foreigners with tourist status, local visitors, immigrants that receive income and non-immigrants (exception: political refugees)
2- How long?
A: You can import the car as long as your migration status is maintained, including any extensions, in the following cases:
a) Vehicles that are property of the foreigners that enter the country as paid immigrants and non-immigrants, as long as it is only one vehicle (exception: political refugees).
b) Vehicles that tourists and local visitors import, as long as it is just one car, even if it isn't their property.
3- Can I extend the car's importation status?
A: Yes, if you are a foreigner. If you receive an extention of your migratory status (FM3, FM2, FMT, etc) you can extend the period to return the vehicle by the same amount. To these effects you DO NOT require an extension from the customs authorities. You can prove your car importation period extension by showing the official document where the person who imported the car has obtained an extension of his migratory status.

So anyway, the thing is, first you can drive a foreign car if you are a foreigner (family of not), secondly the person that imported the car can extend his migratory status and in doing so automatically does so for his car too. You do not need to take your car to the border to renew the temp importation each time it expires if you renew your migratory status. As long as you are a foreigner with legal migratory status you can drive a foreigners car be it yours or not, just make sure the owner also has a valid migratory status and always bring a photocopy of all pertinent docs in the car: passports, FM3 or other, etc.

I hope this has been clear.

BTW, my wife was stopped by the Hacienda Police two days ago and we had a first hand experience on what they request and that the law is correct. Any police saying anything different is wrong, lying or whatever, in which case you can either give him a mordida (not recommended) or wait around until he brings the Hacienda Police and they'll send you off, because as long as you fulfill the requirements they can't take your car away (we are living proof :-))

One last thing, I drive a New Mexico car (one plate in the back) and have only had one incident with the missing front plate and was waved off once they saw me (I don't look Mexican seems...). So I don't think it's too much of an issue... or maybe I'm just lucky.

Kind regards

Mogens

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:32 am

Hola Mogens,
The law you posted has been in effect for years, but in case you were not aware, late April to early May of this year, Hacienda and Aduana reinterpreted the law and were pulling over and confiscating cars (4 in total were declared) out near the airport. At one point they said the only people who could now drive were people with retired status FM3's which caused quite an uproar through out Vallarta.
(more info here from the Canadian Consulate: www.pvmirror.com/localnews/156-may1-7_2004.html )

Anyway, needless to say it took over two weeks to get it all sorted out, and they went back to the original law which you have posted.

I only bring this to the forefront in case someone should hear that they are still confiscating cars and as well to point out that not all laws are set in stone and can change, or be reinterpreted.

The was no advanced warning that Hacienda and Aduana were doing a road block and stopping cars and checking all info. While only four cars were seized, many people had to go retrieve their FM3's and other documents (While you are to have these on your person, most people do not carry all their papers on a daily basis as it is almost impossible, especially for men (unless they carry a man purse;)

So, this is one reason I am happy I drive a MX plated car as I could drive over these two and half weeks with no problems. Many people with foreign plated cars or cars with O.N.A.P.A.F.F.A. stickers parked them until the problem was resolved.

Right now, they recently passed a law that there is a fine for driving and talking on a cell phone. So far, I haven't heard of anyone ticketed, but this is one law I hope transito starts acting on. As well, a new law has been passed for ticketing anyone throwing trash out of a vehicle.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Foreign cars

Post by webmaster » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:18 pm

Well, seems Puerto Vallarta is a bit more provincial (foolish) than Guadalajara, here I've had no problems (in 7 years and 3 cars) and the law is clear enough so there is no real need for interpretation. I personally prefer a foreign plated car, avoid the local car taxes and considering some of the models you get in the US are not available here, makes it less tempting to steal. For example I chose a coupe Honda Accord which wasn't imported to Mexico but the equivalent 4 door model does exist in Mexico, this way I have all the spare parts and knowledgeable repairmen but a very distinctive car, should anyone be tempted to drive away in it, not that that is very common either. The only negative aspect is the insurance, expensive if at all possible, but I prefer no insurance, the insurances are just a bunch of bloodsuckers ;-) .

Greetings

Mogens

Mikey and Gabby

Post by Mikey and Gabby » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:27 am

Oh God Brenda not the dreaded man purse.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:05 pm

AKA the European carry all.