Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tojol57
Gov't Conspiracy

Post by tojol57 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I tell you all, it is a government conspiracy to have all the Americans stay home and spend their hard earned vacation funds here at home versus abroad. First they scared us with the all the attacks and deaths in BOARDER towns making it sound like this was running wild and rampant in all of Mexico. Now we have the swine flu epidemic which they will soon turn into a pandemic too... Yes we servived the SARS scares, the TB scares from that moron that made two trips to England and back, and we also survived the threat of the Asian Bird Flu chatter too... Cool heads will prevail, once we wipe out the National Media for sensationalizing each story to get us to watch CNN, Fox News, whatever media outlet you like to tune into...

just my two cents worth.. just MY opinion, ok...

:twisted: :shock: :o

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Flu News

Post by smitty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 pm

The sad thing is the damage has been done - drug wars + swine flu = Mexico hurts for tourists . I would not even print some of the comments ( about Mexico ) I've heard from coworkers and customers . :(

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

anyone in PV please update the closure of

Post by pdxbuff » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

nightclus, restaurants, or whatever as I have an upcoming trip in the next 5 days. Thanks!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 pm

If it is govt. conspiracy then it is the govt. of Mexico that is trying to keep us all out.

All schools and pre-schools have been closed through May 6th in the entire country. All bars and clubs have been closed in PV and there are hints that they might also close all the restaurants.

I feel Mexico is doing an excellent job of trying to deal with what has become a major outbreak.

They difference between this flu and other types of flu is this one is hitting hard and fast. The flu you usually start feeling achy, maybe a slight scratchy throat, etc. This one your fever shoots up over 100 in one hour.

Daily or bi-daily PV updates are being published on http://www.banderasnews.com
Last edited by katnsocal on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

rffranks
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Swine Flu Scare

Post by rffranks » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:29 pm

My wife and I just returned this past weekend from a week on the Malecon. We weren't really aware of the extent until we were back in the states. As per usual we had a great time and after discussing it we decided we would go now if we were scheduled for this week. Traveling is always a risk, and all you can do is be careful. Let's hope it doesn't escalate, but so far in the states it seems the cases have been kept under control. I feel terrible for the Mexican people who have passed away, but it's probably a result of less-than-stellar medical care in most cases.

That being said the response from family and friends has been one of disbelief that we continue to go to PV and are already planning our next trip. Unfortunately further damage continues to be done to the image of what we consider to be paradise on earth.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 pm

They are saying the people that have passed away are, for the most part, the patients who waited and tried to tuff it out before going to a doctor. Keep in mind also they thought it was a late season flu epidemic rather than swine flu, so they did not test anyone for it right away. Alot of the Mexican citizens are complaining the govt. did not act quick enough but again they were under the assumption it was an outbreak of regular flu. The problem with this particular strain is it is a combination of human, pig and bird viruses and since it is a "new" strain thus no one has immunity to it. That is why all the hype/caution is being given to it.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I tell you all, it is a government conspiracy to have all the Americans stay home
How the hell did your government pull of the second phase with that earthquake today?

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm

There is no way one can keep up with the media on this news story.

I like President Obama's words..
"This is obviously a cause for concern... but it is not a cause for alarm."

The site that I look at to find updates is the
WHO.. World Health Organization.

http://www.who.int/en/

The alert level was raised today to phase 4 out of 6.

For me personally if I had a trip booked to Mexico right now I would postpone and wait it out to see what direction the swine flu is going to go..

In time like all things this will pass..

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 pm

I have to say this is the first time in a very, very long while that I'm glad I don't have a trip to Mexico planned for the near future. Usually I'm whining that it's past time to go again. And it is past time, but I'd hate to have to make that decision right now. To go or to stay home. That's a tough one!

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Just a friendly reminder that alcohol kills germs. Do Not let your blood alcohol level get too low.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:12 am

though this flu seems serious,crossing insurgentes on basilio badillo is more a threat to my health than swine flu. as of earlier today zero cases have been reported in jalisco.

cigard
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by cigard » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:25 am

It is truly amazing the feedback I have receive about my pending trip to Puerto Vallarta. I am grateful for all the posts on this website about the subject of swine flu. With that and the proper precautions I am still planning to take my trip to paradise as of this posting. Thanks for all the food for thought.

rogerj
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by rogerj » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:11 am

Public official are in a no win situation. If they act too abruptly, they'll be accused of inciting a riot. Act too slow and they'll be accused of ignoring the situation.

april30
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by april30 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 am

i have a trip scheduled for april 30th and i cant decide wether to go. i am staying at the royal decameron resort.....what do you think??

Iguanoid
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Iguanoid » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am

The number of new reported cases appears to have been declining already over the last 2 days, so fingers crossed everyone will start calming down soon. Preparation and awareness are key to this, and with people on the look out for early signs now and being ultra precautious lets hope things ease off sooner rather than later.

Either way, not much is going to keep me and the keys to my brand new house apart for long come the end of May, although if things take a real turn for the worse i guess we will have to consider taking a bit of a detour before touching down in mexico city.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm

The following blog entry is from Pamela Thompson who is a registered nurse who has lived in Puerto Vallarta for over 17 years, 10 of them in health care. Pamela now leads Health Care Resources Puerto Vallarta, a local health care resource network.

I have just spoken to Dr. Luis Suarez, infectious disease physician in Puerto Vallarta.
He reports that:

1. There are no confirmed cases in the state of Jalisco. 160 samples were taken and all were negative for Swine Flu.
2. There are no confirmed cases in the state of Nayarit.
3. Continue with precautionary measures including good hand washing, avoiding crowds, increase Vitamins B, K, A & D. Good ventilation in homes allowing the sun to enter.
4. Avoid hand-shaking, kissing.
5. He feels it is coming under good control in Mexico City.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: anyone in PV please update the closure of

Post by Sr. Fox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 pm

pdxbuff wrote:nightclus, restaurants, or whatever as I have an upcoming trip in the next 5 days. Thanks!
We went for a walk last night. Rumors are just that. All the restaurants were open on the Malecon and in Old Town. Story is that night clubs are to be closed at 12:00 midnight. A few "bar only" places were closed however the story is they will be open today 'till midnight.
We invited the Reglamentos (like by law enforcement officers) in yesterday and we were told we did not have to close because we are a restaurant not a bar only.
I saw Andele's open as usual as was Asadero's, Steves Bar, El Torito and others. It was business as usual. Places we were told that were closed were open.

There is so much BS flying here that this may be the only danger to your health here in PV

tojol57

Name Change

Post by tojol57 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Well since this virus is built on 3 or 4 different viruses - swine, bird, human and ???... we need to change the name of this mutation... Swine Flu is not appropriate especially if you are tied to the Agricultural Industry... "Latin American Flu", "Mutant Mexican Flu", "Mexico City Flu", etc etc etc.... and you cannot get it from dining on the other white meat - Pork!!! Currently on the CBOT soybeans are down 10 3/4 cents per bushel, Bean Meal (used in making hog feed) is down $2.50 per ton, live hogs are down $2.50 per cwt, and bellies are down $3.00 per cwt. Now you talk about an economic pandemic... this is hurting alot of the farmers we deal with on a daily basis... so not only is this scaring people from traveling to Mexico, it is scaring people from eating Pork, it is driving prices down for the agricultural community, etc... Iowa is still the #1 state in the US for pork production...

just another rube comment from the hick in Iowa...

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:08 pm

Our secretary at work just returned home from Mexico her first day back to work today........They stayed just north of Playa del Carmen..

I had to laugh when she told me they never heard about the flu outbreak until they returned home to Canada... I told her they were probably the only ones in the World that had not heard of the flu :lol:

She and her family had a wonderful vacation...Did see the odd person wearing surgical masks but never really thought anything of it as they are a part of her life at the nursing home :D

She said if she collected a dollar from each person that asked her about her vacation and the flu in Mexico she said she would have enough money to turn around and go back and she would :lol:

Thanks Sr. Fox for posting..Nice hearing from someone who lives in PV...

helenf
PV Guru
PV Guru

Air Transat, Sunquest, Cruises being suspended until June

Post by helenf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Here is the latest for any Canucks who are schedule to fly down to Mexico or were to have a Cruise stop in Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/0 ... ansat.html

We now have two confirmed cases in Alberta they say as well. One in northern Alberta and one in Calgary.

Helen