Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

vmontene
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by vmontene » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Well, I am definitely more than convinced of still going! Now I may have to convince my friends. Their one and only concern has to do with there not being any people in puerto vallarta. They don't want to arrive to an empty beach!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Can guys peek (when nobody's in there) in the bathrooms to see what the whole deal is about? :D

Mogens

wanna be in PV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Alll Systems Go!

Post by wanna be in PV » Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello everyone and thanks for all of your informative posts. We have been keeping an eye on things down in PV and it looks safe as ever. My partner and I are sticking with the plan. Arriving May21st-May 25th. This will be our first visit to PV and we will probably be spoiled for our next visit by not having crowds of Americanos or Canadienses (sp?). Heading south for some adventure, shoppnig and a tan. :D

losblanos
PV Fan
PV Fan

Ten days and counting

Post by losblanos » Fri May 15, 2009 1:20 am

Unless the borders are closed, my wife and I will be in Puerto Vallarta in less than two weeks.

Here's a link to a tourism video about the swine flu in PV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknNF51058w

jetboyds
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Arriving 5 days

Post by jetboyds » Fri May 15, 2009 3:42 pm

So glad everything is back open (as best it can be). I come every year during Memorial Day and did not want the flu to ruin anyone's trip.

Myself and 8 friends/family arrive next Thursday (happy birthday to me) and cannot wait to sit on the chairs, dine at Andale/Apaches/Theirry's and all.

And Sr. Fox, we'll come visit you, too!

Thanks,

- David

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Wait till next year... :twisted:

2007 - Chinese year of the Chicken - Bird Flu Pandemic devastates parts of Asia

2008 - Chinese year of the Horse - Equine Influenza decimates Australian racing

2009 - Chinese year of the Pig - Swine Flu Pandemic
It gets worse........
Yikes...
Next year...... 2010 - Chinese year of the ? :shock: :lol: (will let you find out for yourself)

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Arriving 5 days

Post by Sr. Fox » Sat May 16, 2009 1:57 pm

jetboyds wrote:So glad everything is back open (as best it can be). I come every year during Memorial Day and did not want the flu to ruin anyone's trip.

Myself and 8 friends/family arrive next Thursday (happy birthday to me) and cannot wait to sit on the chairs, dine at Andale/Apaches/Theirry's and all.

And Sr. Fox, we'll come visit you, too!

Thanks,

- David
Happy Birthday in advance David. See now you can not say I forgot. :D

See you all here in PV. Everything is back to normal except for the lack of visitors that got scared off by the news media. Bonus for you, there are lots of "off season" specials around for you to enjoy.

2ndchance
PV Fan
PV Fan

Flight Cancelled

Post by 2ndchance » Sat May 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I am really down in the dumps today. We made a reservation in November for a flight in June since it was a great priced promotion by VIVA AEROBUS.
They started flying from Austin Texas first with a grand promotion early last year to Cancun.We live in San Antonio but, with such a low price we decided to book to PVR .We made and paid for a condo rental for a week in PVR and yesterday i recieved an email that all Aerobus flights from Austin have been cancelled due to people not booking and people cancelling and requesting their money back due to the swine flu and in todays paper it said that traveling restrictions to Mexico have been lifted ! I spent the night looking for other flights and the majority Leave San Antonio at 6:15 am and arrive at Pvr around 4:45 pm ! Can you imagine ,they have a 5 1/2 hour layover in Phoenix Arizona. I live in Texas ! Closer to Mexico ! We have been looking forward to arriving in PVR and have read everything we can about paradise . Bummer,Bummer !You all have been so nice and helpful ,any ideas how to get there without having to spend a fortune and 11hours to get to PV ? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, :( :( :( :cry: :cry:

jetboyds
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

weather

Post by jetboyds » Sun May 17, 2009 12:19 am

OMG the weather shows thunderstorms every day next weekend....

Praying this is not the case!

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 am

Did you see the chance? About 20% average which looks like 80% chance of wonderful weather. If it does rain it is usually later in the day for an hour or so. Then we have a beautiful sunset.
It is not quite rainy season yet so chances are zero rain.

losblanos
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re: Flight Cancelled

Post by losblanos » Sun May 17, 2009 1:41 pm

2ndchance wrote:I am really down in the dumps today. We made a reservation in November for a flight in June ......... to get to PV ? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, :( :( :( :cry: :cry:
I just went to the American Airlines web site and searched for a flight from San Antonio to Puerto Vallarta using 6/8/09-6/13/09 dates and found numerous flights. $480.00 pp.
Travel time: SAT to PVR 4h 40m.
PVR to SAT 5h 39m.

2ndchance
PV Fan
PV Fan

Flight Cancelled

Post by 2ndchance » Sun May 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the information,will continue to try to find some lower prices in the 300s, if possible. As far as i am concerned,i would not hesitate for a second to book this flight with American,but my companion would not go for it.Stating that it is money we could spend in PV and maybe it is a "Sign" that we should not go etc.etc. There is another flight with Mexicana that has a layover in Mexico City, but purple is not my favorite color and the last time i had a layover there on our way to Huatulco,thats the color i was. I only have one lung and asthma and the altitude almost ended my earth vacation.I might be down in the dumps now,but i never give up .I will continue to find a way to get there,i have been planning and dreaming of going to PV everyday since my reservations. Thanks for taking the time to look up possibilities.God willing i will be there June 11,swine flu hype or not !! :) :) :) :)

2ndchance
PV Fan
PV Fan

THANKS LOSBLANOS !

Post by 2ndchance » Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 am

Happy days are here again thanks to you. I had been searching booking sites such as kayak,priceline,etc.but when you wrote that you found some flights from American Airline site i looked it up and found our flight for $329.00 including taxes.It also has a layover of 5 1/2 hrs. in Dallas ,but at least i will be able to breathe. Many thanks and God bless !! :D :D :D

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 am

2nd chance,
Next trip try Continental through Houston. They have a flight leaving SA at 9:10 a.m. arrives in Houston 10:13 leaves Houston 11:18 arrives in PV 1:55 p.m. Only a 1 hr. 5 min layover in Houston. $328

I have taken that flight out of Houston before.

2ndchance
PV Fan
PV Fan

Continental flight

Post by 2ndchance » Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi katnsocal,
When i read the information you gave me, i went down in the dumps again thinking that i could have had a shorter flight and arriving a whole lot earlier in PV.I have been planning this vacation since November and thought i had everything just right ,flight condo, etc.Then came this Swine Flu scare and my flight went with it.I started to panic and not thinking very clear since time is getting closer and did not look directly at the airline sites.I did check out the flight you mentioned at Continental and thank goodness my spirits are flying high again since the $328.00 is without taxes.Total price for 2 is $882.30 compared to $658.30 at American.As it is ,the total amount with VIVA AEROBUS would have been $282.00 total due to it being a promotion.So actually i am paying quite a bit more than i anticipated ,but we will still have money to enjoy PV with American and will stay an extra day to make up travel time.I still want to thank you for trying to help,it is greatly appreciated.This swine flu hype has affected so many people,i only have one lung,asthma and other medical conditions and i can't wait to get to PV !! You can get flu,a heart attack,get runned over, etc. You cannot live in fear,but should enjoy life !!
Thanks, :D :D :lol:

load_warrior1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Just got back, wish I could've stayed

Post by load_warrior1 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:05 pm

To anyone thinking about cancelling a trip to PV - DON'T! We did a quick 5 nighter last week and had a great time. Sure, there are a lot less tourists, but I don't consider that a bad thing. We could eat/drink wherever we wanted whenever we wanted. Our only regret was that we only booked for 5 nights.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sat May 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I would like to take the time and personally thank all that listened to my advice and came to say "Hi".
Everyone I talked to was very happy they came. I heard no complaints at all.

Thanks to all that came and are still coming!

Fox and Family Roma

jrtlovr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jrtlovr » Sat May 23, 2009 5:50 pm

:lol: No worries to all going to PVR! We just got back on thurs night after 10 gorgeous days of hot hot hot weather in Nuevo Vallarta. It was wonderful, we had so much fun and I would recommend everyone hestitating not to anymore, and just go and you will have a great vacation.
The only places you will see the masks is in the american places like Wal-mart and Mac donalds, but otherwise we rarely saw site of them. Everything is as usual there, with the exception of half the amount of tourists, which I personally had no problem with. Don't be brainwashed by the media. Go and have a wonderful vacation! We did. Wish we were still there. 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun May 24, 2009 5:22 am

2nd,
Glad your flights are all worked out. I have taken the flight on AA through Dallas too. I am very lucky, I have a job that I travel all over the US and when I have time off every 3 weeks I can fly wherever I want to (as long as it doesn't cost more than it would for me to fly home) and the client pays for it. So when the opportunity comes up I fly to PV instead of going home. I just have not had al ot of luck with AA or the Dallas airport, my flight always seems to be delayed or cancelled, so I avoid AA and Dallas airport like the plague. LOL

Have a great trip and I hope your flights are perfect.

wanna be in PV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Tan and Happy

Post by wanna be in PV » Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Our trip was splendid! We just returned from a really quick trip to PV, May 21-25th. Stayed in the Zona Romantica area. There were a few tourists, lots of expats and lots of Mexican families enjoying themselves without hoards of Americans! No one wearing masks, no one really worried. All I can say is go if you can. You will be spoiled with the warmth and friendliness of Vallarta. Our flight on US Airways there and back was full to the the gills with happy travelers.