Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

astridt
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
crazy flu, silly people, pour mexicans

Post by astridt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello everybody,

Among all these american, canadian and mexican people and stories, I really have to say a word from europe, although I realize that I am not all that representative for all of holland, less all of europe. :lol:

I was in PV from april 27th till may 18th and had a great 3 weeks vacation there. Just fell in love with mexico and pv, so I've allready decided and arranged to go back in november and then stay for at least a month or more if I can.

Since I booked my flight a few days before the flu came in the news and was about to leave less than a week later (kind of a last minute yes), I found myself in the middle of all the flu bull shhit and it's consequences. It did not make me change my plans so I went against everyones advices and have not regret it for a minut!

I only felt sorry for the local people who were all hurted most by the lack of tourists and government restrictions (and therefore of the small money they make). They are the true victims I believe and I still wish them all the best. You know people there are really bigger worries in live then every disaster the media comes up with from every part of the world.
I'm not saying they made it up, just made it bigger.... (just my opinion).

However, I did not even know what I missed the first two weeks, since it was my first time in PV, but I realized that in the last week, when everything opened normally again. Which was even better!

All and all I can recommend it to anyone.

And I do also use gsm, tv's and internet as well, but I actually think it's better to not know too much, because media these days can be as dangerous as any virus.
People fear and freak out to easy, especially everything they don't know, don't understand, can't fix or can't control. Too bad, for as my mother allways said in all of her wisdom:

"People suffer most, from their fear for suffering"

Sorry, this is a translation from a Dutch old saying, but I hope you get my point.

Oh yeah, btw, if anybody has any suggestions for me for staying longer (undefinitly) in puerto vallarta a/o area when I return in november, please let me know. I would love to find a job and stay there!

Adios amigos :wink: :D

condor
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by condor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 am

Great report!
Your translation was perfect. It was easier to understand than most of what I type, and English is my native language!

lomohart

Post by lomohart » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am

I had a friend who planned to go to Mexico this month, but his parents were too scared of the H1N1 flu that he canceled his plans to go anywhere outside our country. (Not like we don't have cases of the virus here...oh well.) He was so bummed out about this but since his mother was so worried, he opted to postpone his trip.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Very nice post astrid. Hope you will continue to post. Maybe come November you can make plans to meet some forum members that will be in town. Being able to meet and make friends with people while in PV is the best part of being involved in these PV forums. We too were in Vallarta during the swine flu episode. It was very sad to see how everything shut down. We went out to eat more often than usual. We would either be the only couple in a restaurant or a set of only 2 or 3. After dinner we would go for a walk and all the restaurant hawkers would want us to come eat in their restaurant which for the most part would be totally empty. Very sad. I hope things have picked up some since then. We have been home almost a month and can't wait to get back in November.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Well, things are picking up a bit, but it's definitely slow. Proinco (owner of this site and forum) took a bashing and we are so short of cash that we are having trouble just paying the salaries, I know many hotels and businesses in Vallarta are the same, some cutting jobs or lowering the work day load, from full time to half time, etc.

Let's hope more people get over the flu scare and get back to their normal lives, for our sake and specially for the sake of Vallarta and other Mexican destinations.

For the time being this site will continue online, we will advise a month before if we go belly up.

Greetings

Mogens

astridt
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by astridt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 am

Wonderfull !!

I think that people who love pv kind of think alike.
Thanks all for the responses.
And I also think it's a good idea to meet people overthere when I'm back. It's gonna take months until november so that will give me a kind of connection to be here on this forum, while I am still in Holland.

I also want to practice my spanish some more, because I found out that english gets me everywhere but my spanish is really altered as I forgot most words. It's all coming back to me by the time I left mexico and there is a slight difference between the spanish from spain and mexico.

I don't want to keep talking about the flu so maybe some of you can suggest annother topic or site where there is more talking about pv in general.

Anyway, I'm sure that all survivors among us can beat the flu and stuff around it and still ware a smile - especially while thinking about mechicooo
I know I am !!

Greetz to y'all..
Astridt :arrow:

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 pm

mgallard wrote: For the time being this site will continue online, we will advise a month before if we go belly up.

Greetings

Mogens
Hey is there anything that can be done to help? This site is a valuable asset to PV.
Fox

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks Mr. Fox for your concern,

It's more a business issue, slow hotel sales, few tour sales, etc. We've eliminated all business fat, reduced costs, etc., now it's a matter of surviving the storm, things are picking up, but I don't know if it'll be enough, plus we're owed a lot of money and that's what is putting us in this dire situation.

I think the only thing forum users could help us with would be to recommend our services (hotel, tours, taxis, car rentals, and so on) and if you have a site, link to ours and help drive a bit more traffic.

Kind regards

Mogens

MargaretBurden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

swine flu

Post by MargaretBurden » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

... First we had mad cow disease, then it was bird flu and now swine flu...O.M.G its FARMAGEDDON!!!

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

farmegeddon is great

Post by wyoblu » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:30 am

We have been going to Vallarta for twenty years and hope to make it permanent very soon. We have made many wonderful friends and have completely enjoyed the sun/fun/beach. We already had our trip for Oct/November booked, when the flu scare hit, and never once considered cancelling it. They had better take my passport and close the border, if they want me to stay away! We have a better chance of getting hit on the interstate by a truck than falling ill, in Mexico. We have had occasion to need a physician and have nothing but good things to say about Vallarta healthcare. I feel as if we are going to our second home, when we head south, not like we are going to some edge of the world. Please everyone go, enjoy the culture, be an asset to the community, spread some good will around and help out the economy at the same time.

MargaretBurden
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Farmegeddon

Post by MargaretBurden » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:31 am

Farmegeddon or no Farmegeddon, my husband will be returning the first week of October to celebrate our 19th anniversary. Can't wait. :wink:

2ndchance
PV Fan
PV Fan

Not in Puerto Vallarta

Post by 2ndchance » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Just came back from 9 glorious days in PV after having some of my family get very upset with me for planning my vacation in PV with the swine flu ,especially since i only have one lung and asthma. Well let me tell one and all.THERE WAS NOT ONE PERSON THAT WAS EITHER COUGHING ,SNIFFLING,RUNNY NOSE ETC. In fact i never felt better ! I could breathe better !I did not see even one person with allergies! Here in S.A almost everyone has allergies and bronchial problems. In fact i am very seriously considering moving to PV since i felt so healthy. We just loved PV and can't wait to go back !

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Nice to hear you had a great trip 2ndchance :)

sandra.graham74
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sandra.graham74 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I was also thinking about going to Mexico but I have decided to change my plans. I am a little afraid of being infected with the swine flu because you still hear about cases of people getting ill. I hope things improve and I can go there later this year or beginning of next year.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm

Not much to say, as it is your choice. I would not cancel a trip of mine. It was all blown out of proportion by the media.

You will miss a great place. I have felt that way for the 25 years we have been going to Puerto Vallarta.

Chevy Man
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Fear

Post by Chevy Man » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm

That old Dutch saying is pretty good. As someone else (Churchill?) once said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself". :wink: