Swine Flu

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jrtlovr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
PV or bust!

Post by jrtlovr » Sun May 03, 2009 6:21 pm

:D Hi everybody!
Well this forum is great I just signed up, today. I have been coming to PV for almost 10 years. I love it. This trip was the only time I hesitated and actually cancelled my reservations for may 11th due to the flu talk and the cdc not reccomending travel to Mexico. I talked to my Dr. on Fri and he told me it is alot of hype. After reading this forum and especially the locals info , we have decided to re-book our vacation, so just a thks to all for the info on what's happening in PV and we are excited looking forward to some serious heat after a long cold winter here in Alberta.

jrtlovr [sail]

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey we are glad you came to your senses too. Saturday had nothing new to report on. Life for us was the same... slow lazy days of summer.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Swine Flu

Post by Sr. Fox » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

svnr wrote:Every thing that I see on TV or print here in Boston says Swine Flu in Mexico, but nothing specifically as to where in Mex. Are the reported cases only in Mexico City, or are they scattered throughout the country? No one wants to purposely go anywhere that is not safe; but conversely we do not want to be panicked into believing in something that does not exist.

Can anyone give us a better picture of where the swine flu has progressed
in Mexico? Specifically, what is happening so far in PV?

Thank you

Al
When they say Mexico, they mostly mean Mexico City. To date there have been no confirmed or reported cases in the states of Jalisco or Nayarit. Puerto Vallarta is in Jalisco and Nuevo Vallarta is in Nayarit.
The flu has not existed for us. Bad rumors have.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sun May 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I think CNN should be renamed "The Swine Flu News Network". I'm getting swine flu overkill flu.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun May 03, 2009 8:14 pm

maybe cnn can run free commercials for the mexican tourist board to try and undo some of the damage they have done to the mexican economy with their unrelenting pandemic coverage. there are cruise ships docked in san francisco this weekend that should be in mexico.

svnr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Swine Flu

Post by svnr » Sun May 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey Bruce

Would you weigh in on the Swine Flu situation. Many of us know you,
and trust you to give us the real low down and not Chamber of Commerce Hype. No disrespect to anyone, but many people are now
planning vacations for the balance of the year. It is important for every one to have a clear picture of what is happening, because the media is
doing a good job of panicing the world. (and Joe Biden is helping)

SVNR

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Flu News

Post by smitty » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Svnr - here is a breakdown from the Mexican govt .

http://www.reuters.com/article/swineFlu ... AI20090503

Still no cases in Jalisco ( PV ) or Nayarit (Nuevo PV ) .

jrgfallbrook
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jrgfallbrook » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

I read in our local paper that there would be an announcement today in PV regarding lifting of restrictions that were imposed on some public places. Has that announcement been made yet? We are still planning on being there on 9th of May and just trying to keep tabs on accurate information.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 pm

They have not told us anything other than the last paper we got which stated that any restrictions were only in place until after the 4th of May. I read somewhere the Mexican President lifted all restrictions as of the 6th.

Yippie! :lol:

jrgfallbrook
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by jrgfallbrook » Mon May 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Yipee!! For all of us who love to come to PV ( :D and for those who live there also)!

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

I'm happy to saythat i have rescheduled my trip to PV

Post by pdxbuff » Tue May 05, 2009 1:23 am

and will arrive for sun and Margaritas this Friday.

pjac1979
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

just booked vacation

Post by pjac1979 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:44 pm

...and WE will arrive for sun and margaritas on 5/16. we are very excited and are not going to worry one bit about H1N1.
pjac

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Isn't vacation supposed to be stress-free?

Post by glendastory » Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 am

Did anyone see the news that AA is canceling 1/4 of their flights to Mexico, including PV? I may be safe because my flight is almost full, but sometimes you don't know until you get to the airport. I'm coming 5/16 and keeping my fingers crossed. No matter what or when, I'm coming!!!

jrtlovr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Will anything else go wrong?

Post by jrtlovr » Wed May 06, 2009 2:46 am

:shock: We recieved an email today saying our United flight was cancelled to PV via San Fran, but luckily they just put us on another flight the same time on Alaskan air, so we arrive only a few mins later than we would have-pheww. I really hope that this one doesnt cancel too, or I'm sure we will not be coming. Their must be alot of people bailing, so that United and others must have had an empty plane or something?? Well keep our fingers crossed too, cant wait to be on that beach in Nuevo drinking my Margarita on the 11th. Good luck and no more hassles to everyone!

jrtlovr from Calgary 8)

nusox
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nusox » Wed May 06, 2009 2:54 am

you are by far one of the lucky ones. my united flight got cancelled and now they want me to fly to washington stay twelve hours and then fly to PV. I don't see that happening. Crossing my fingers my travel agent can pull something out.. if ya know what i mean

jrtlovr
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by jrtlovr » Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 am

Sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out for you, might be better to take the refund and start from scratch?? Best of luck :-)9
jrtlovr

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Wed May 06, 2009 1:25 pm

I am flying Continental and they too are canceling 50% of their Mexico flights. I got an email from Orbit (who I booked through) and they said there had been a significant change and to call them. I was totally freaked out because like all of you, we are still planning on coming. When I called them, Continental switched flt number on two of my flights and the time had changed by 3 minutes. Not so significant in my mind. I am so excited about our trip to PV...

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 pm

The reason many airlines are canceling flights is lack of passengers. I talked to a couple who arrived yesterday and of 119 people booked on their trip, 60 had canceled.
Come on people, it is now up to us to let the world know that it is safe and has always been safe to come to PV. If we all do our part, we can counteract the problems created mostly by the news media.
I might mention that it is very normal for airlines to change schedules to vacation destinations this time of year. People just stay home more when the weather is more agreeable.
We have cold beer and great Margaritas all year... no matter what the weather is like up North. :)

getwithit
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Amen

Post by getwithit » Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Yep, I, and 10 of my 'closes' friends are going to PV in about 3 weeks - we've waited forever, a special birthday in the crowd, and WE ARE GOING... and now they are saying it 'slowing down', etc in Mexico.. we are California, so basically we are better going to PV than staying here!!! Which wouldn't stop us anyway - and by the time we get there, even now, the places should all be opened back up... yipee!!

pjac1979
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

flying AA 5/16 from chgo

Post by pjac1979 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 pm

hi all
i had heard that united cancelled all of their flights to mexico. that was late last week i think. i did not hear that AA cancelled any. we just booked with them on saturday for 5/16 so hopefully enuf people are still going to PV to keep the flight scheduled. i do not want to miss this...my hubby and i need a vacation BAD. we stopped there on a cruise last april and loved it. i just hope after a week we still love it just as much.
what is the name of the bistro by the river that is a good place to go for brkfast/lunch? my friend was telling me it was a nice place but counld not remember the name. we are not at an AI so we are going to hit all the good places in town. SR fox, i appreciate your postings. they are what made me finally book PV with all of the H1N1 propaganda going around.
see y'all soon
pjac