Visit Mexico ... please

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators: admin, Moderators

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Visit Mexico ... please

Post by chico98 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:09 am

Visit Mexico ... please

BY AL KAMEN

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - With rampant drug violence and the swine flu scare gripping our neighbor to the south, don't be surprised to see billboards, buses and TV ads soon blaring something like: "Hurry down to Mexico! Sunny beaches, blue waters and really, it's not as dangerous as they say."

The problem with all those gorgeous beaches now of course is, well, they're empty.

Facing a potential precipitous drop in tourism - 80 percent of Mexico's dwindling annual tourists come from the United States - government officials decided to take action, and fast.

So they hired two powerhouse Washington public relations firms, Qorvis and Apco, to help spin the country out of its image crisis.

The two firms got a total of $1.2 million over one year, with the biggest chunk of the money going to Apco, according to sources familiar with the contracts. As soon as the flu outbreak further stabilizes in Mexico, the epicenter of the global epidemic, the Tourism Secretariat plans a full-throttle effort to announce, in the words of Mexican Embassy spokesman Ricardo Alday, "Mexico is out of the woods, and we're open for business."

He's optimistic that will be soon, perhaps within as few as 10 days. The decision to hire savvy spinmeisters was made back in February, and it originally centered solely on the out-of-control drug cartel violence - until swine flu entered the public relations equation. Still, Alday says, the long-term focus of the PR strategy will remain on the drug problem. As he put it, "Drug violence might be here to stay a long time. The flu is going to go away."

dgm0356
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by dgm0356 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:22 pm

It won't take any convincing for us to visit Mexico. My wife and I will book our annual trip to Puerto Vallarta in January as usual.

We've always felt very safe In PV, just as safe as we do in our own City, which has its own crime and drug problems.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

I'll Be Back

Post by smitty » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm

I wish it could be sooner but January will also be our next time in PV .
Toronto tourism officials say it took 3 yrs to bounce back after Sars . I hope PV has a much quicker turnaround .

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Latest update:
11 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 11 May 2009, 30 countries have officially reported 4694 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 1626 laboratory confirmed human cases of infection, including 48 deaths. The United States has reported 2532 laboratory confirmed human cases, including three deaths. Canada has reported 284 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Costa Rica has reported eight laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.
So now it's time for people to stop visiting the US...

Mogens

glendastory
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by glendastory » Tue May 12, 2009 12:50 am

I'm NOT cancelling, and please keep booking to Mexico, and don't cancel!!!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue May 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Actually US citizens should be booking trips to Mexico to escape the virus. Puerto Vallarta has NO confirmed cases.

Greetings

Mogens

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:41 pm

come to vallarta
the battle is over

http://i43.tinypic.com/eqxgrb.jpg

a little humor

Sunluvr
PV Fan
PV Fan

Can't Wait!!

Post by Sunluvr » Tue May 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Cancel my trip??? NEVER!!!

I am so excited to go back to PV I can hardly stand it!

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

the drive down

Post by army88 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:57 pm

once construction season is over im drivn down to pv.....very ancious...dont want to wish my life away, but pv is worth the ole ants in the pants...lol

Big Brian
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Big Brian » Thu May 14, 2009 2:12 am

I live in Vegas. I'm going to PV to escape the flu and drug wars. Every night on the news someone dies. That is never spread around on the news. It's too bad the media has hyped all this so much that it is hurting the area I love to go and relax. On the good side I probably won't have to fight for cabanas by the pool at GCP.

Sr. Fox
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Sr. Fox » Thu May 14, 2009 1:02 pm

Check out the YouTube promo video about PV below. Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknNF51058w

crystal_lane
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by crystal_lane » Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 pm

I am sitting on my balcony overlooking Marina Vallarta and it is so peaceful and calm. I overheard a couple of fishing charter captains say yesterday that this is worse that 9-11. We went to one of the top restaurants in the marina yesterday and there were only 2 tables taken. Even Victors is less than 1/3 full for dinner. It is so sad to see what is happening to those the busineses and their employees. Some shops are open and don't get a single sale all day. Unbelievable!
I sure hope that those who are considering cancelling choose not to. You have a better chance of getting hit by a Soviet Satelite than getting the flu.