cancun

Kick back, relax, here any topic is fine, well... almost any topic... :-)

Moderators:admin, Moderators

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
cancun

Post by el_camino88 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:49 pm

well i got sucked into a trip to cancun by my friends for march break. not that i'm complaining because it looks really nice and i've never been there, plus it's my 3 best friends, but still a little part of my heart is longing inside for pv. :( has anyone ever been to cancun? what's it like, hot spots and places to go, etc? i'm staying at the el pueblito beach hotel!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:cancun

Post by webmaster » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:57 pm

This is a bit off topic, so I am moving it to General Ramblings

Greetings

Mogens

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:57 pm

Wow Melis. I am in shock. how could you do this to us. All those sessions we spent together in the pvr addiction club. I gusee you are officially cured. I wish you luck on the dark side. You will be missed, but there will always be another to take your place. The addiction continues on for the rest of us.

I have never been to Cancun, so i can't help you.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:59 pm

no no no u have it all wrong. i will never be cured of my p.v addiction, it was simply the only option to go to cancun. my friends were nagging me, you see we're graduating this year and may not be seeing much of each other next year or the years to come. it's like our last chance to do something special, and they all signed up for this cancun trip and then my dad said he might be going on strike so we may not be able to go to pv this year so i said FINE i will go to cancun. otherwise, i would be stuck here in LONDON ONTARIO for my march break...how NOT cool is that?! I LOVE PV

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:40 pm

Who are you trying to convince here, Melis? lol

Ali G

Post by Ali G » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:28 am

Boooooooo Cancun......PVR #1....wrong bullentin board buddy

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:09 pm

Actually, folks, even though PV does rule, I'd say that spending some time on ANY beach in Mexico would beat spending that same amount of time anywhere else!

I'bve been to Cancun twice, once on my Honeymoon (almost 21 years ago) and once for a sales trip. While the town isn't as nice by any means, there are lots of pretty neat things to do while you're there. Take a long day trip to visit the Mayan ruins at Chichenitza or a shorter trip to Xel-Ha.

The food is more Mayan in origin. Not to be missed is ANYTHING "pibil" style ... pork (conchinita), chicken (pollo) or fish. They are all good but the Conchinita Pibil is to die for.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:13 am

THANK YOU for the tips i see you're the only friend i have left on this board. come on guys it's not like you've never been anywhere else, cuz i know most of these board ppl have been to other places!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:26 am

Hmmmm... Cancun... Melis, bad boy! ;-)

I went to Cancun on my honeymoon (if I had gone to Vallarta I'd be close to the Vallarta Proinco Office... not good)...

We had a great time there, stayed at the Crown Paradise Club, great restaurants, very humid room, our clothes even got musty stains... Must say we were a bit disappointed with Cancun itself, didn't feel like we were in Mexico, too commercialized, too many "in" stores and bars. We did go to a disco, ate at a few restaurants, even went to the cinema :-) but we most enjoyed our escapades. We went on a whole day scuba diving trip (my second time after Vallarta and my wife's first time) was an excellent experience (though I enjoyed nature more on the scuba trip in Vallarta). Went to Chichen Itza (hot and humid) very impressive and a very lasting memory. We also enjoyed an afternoon at Xel-Há, that was one of the highlights of the whole trip, snorkeling in the clear waters, full of fish, great experience. Visited Tulum and will always remember the incredible color of the sea and sand...

I think that a group of friends going there to have a nice time there will have a blast, but that can be obtained in Vallarta or anywhere else too :-) so you need to post upon return and tell us your impressions.

Have a great trip

Mogens

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:43 pm

One of the best restaurants to eat at in Cancun is Los Almendros ... if it is still there. My last visit was 15 years ago but the food was great and we were the only gringos in the place. It is off the beaten path near downtown but the taxi drivers should know it. When I was last there we got appetizers, dinner, dessert and 4 beers apiece and the total bill with tip was less than $20 US.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:41 pm

thanks for the tips everyone i will def post a report when i get back and let you know how much better pv is! lol

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:22 am

Melis, I'm in the same boat, can't get to PV in Jan but could find a nice deal in Tulum at the Bahia Principe, Tulum. Like someone else mentioned above setting on a Mexican beach drinking cervezas beats anything else. It's just the friendly town like feeling of PV is what hooks us all. BTW I loved you pics in a previous post.

Lodac

Post by Lodac » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:14 am

Hi Melis,

I too, after much peer pressure, had to go to Cancun with friends back in '95. Stayed at what was then called the Continental Plaza (Canto del Sol?). It was a blast, but nothing like PV. Much younger crowd, and a constant party, tons of American College students (it was end of March). All the bars were a reasonable cover charge, and free drinks. I saw a lot of "stuff" that just doesn't happen at bars on the praries. The beaches were very pretty, but again different than PV. Watch out for the rip tide, it can grap you and send you out to sea before you know it. For restaurants, try the Stone Crab, and the Argentinian Steak house down town.

Greg & Lisa in Winnipeg

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:03 pm

Hi Melis,we also stayed in Cancun at the Crown Paradise your hotel was next door. The beach here is on the open side - like the previous poster stated beware of the tides. Watch for the flags they post denoting ocean conditions. Its a beautiful stretch of beach. I would recommend a ferry trip (short ride) to the Isle Mujeres a small island off the coast. This is "the isle of women" - where the pirates would leave their families when away on raids. Very scenic and you can walk everywhere. have lunch, shop and visit great beaches. We found most of the malls and shopping (hotel zone) to be similar to the stores at home. If you venture into Cancun city (probably around $20-$25 US cab fare from your hotel) you will feel like you are in Mexico. If you want to see ruins Tulum is the closest option . I am sure you and your friends will have a memorable trip -keep an eye out for each other when you are clubbing.

pat

Post by pat » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:30 pm

Melis, I have not been to Cancun, but I can tell you the Caribean is beautiful! Much different from PV. (PV is beautiful in a different way with the mountains, the sunsets, the old village feel, and the people). You will have great opportunities to snorkel and enjoy the beautiful beaches. You will be with your friends on the beach in Mexico. So enjoy and be careful. Have a great time!

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:58 pm

thanks everyone! i am getting excited and i'm sure it will be fun! and i have been warned about the clubs and whatnot, us being 4 girls by ourselves, but i am sure we will all be fine! i'm really looking forward to the white sand, but i'm not going out too far cuz i don't wanna get sucked into an undertow or something lol! i don't know if we will go to any ruins because us 4 love to shop and i'm sure we'll be doing a lot of shopping and clubbin, but we may do some snorkeling or a day trip somewhere! anyways thanks for all the info guys!