Which One?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

joinaz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Which One?

Post by joinaz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:07 pm

Will be in PV for our 25th anniversary in May. We are considering one of these three restaurants for our "special" dinner -- Cafe des Artistes, Trio, and Barcelona Tapas. Would appreciate your comments on these regarding atmosphere, food choices, service, etc. Or if you have any other restaurant to comment on it would be appreciated (and probably make our decision even more difficult)!

Thank you for your input --

JoAnne and Carl

memyselfandi

choices

Post by memyselfandi » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:39 pm

Out of the 3 places you've chosen to decide from I would recommend trio, simply because they are the most consistent at what they do and there flavours are great.

2nd would be barcelona strictly because of the view however the food is pretty darn good.

might i give a special mention about a few other places for romance and special attention. i know some people will offer others as well so here goes

Bruce's Back Alley Bistro does a fine job they are probably tops in town for there beef and east coast lobster

he is a little crazy himself but other then that you'll be in good hands

Vitea on the new malecon extension is a must for lunch , great for people watching and you might meet up with a few people of fame there

demi moore was there last week and she loved there french onion soup
these people who own this place also own trios

kaiser maximilian on olas altas is also nice but a little noisy with the traffic

when i dined at Bruce's place last summer, we asked him what his favorite place was, he told us trio's first then barcelona, then barcelona's other place, casa del agave.

fantasm

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:19 pm

another suggestion - La Palapa. It's a little pricy but you can't beat it for the ambience. It's right on the beach and you can sit with your feet in the sand. Sunsets are breathtaking. Des and I ate there on our last night in PV on our honeymoon. The service was great as was the food. We were able to relax and just drink in the view. Made our last night very special!

Sherry

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:45 pm

there are so many wonderful places to spend your 25th anniversary, and the previous posters have given you some excellent options... i guess i have to ask what kind of an experience to you want to have on this special occasion.... does price dictate your dining experience, does amibience have part of the equation, etc...

if you are looking for places with a sunset view, then i would look at Barcelona tapas and el panorama...

if i was going to look for atmosphere, then i would choose Cafe de Artiste, Si Senors, de Santos, River Cafe, the Opoca,

there are so many wonderful resturants to go to in PV, and i am sure that you will find one from this bulletin board and our many members will guide you along the way...

happy anniversary... enjoy

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:33 pm

tojol57 wrote:there are so many wonderful places to spend your 25th anniversary, and the previous posters have given you some excellent options... i guess i have to ask what kind of an experience to you want to have on this special occasion.... does price dictate your dining experience, does amibience have part of the equation, etc...

if you are looking for places with a sunset view, then i would look at Barcelona tapas and el panorama...

if i was going to look for atmosphere, then i would choose Cafe de Artiste, Si Senors, de Santos, River Cafe, the Opoca,

there are so many wonderful resturants to go to in PV, and i am sure that you will find one from this bulletin board and our many members will guide you along the way...

happy anniversary... enjoy
I think Tom meant to say Epoca, with the emphasis on the "E". You'll be looking a long time to find Opoca..... (lol)

lyrihn
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location: Higuera Blanca / El Tizate / La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Post by lyrihn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:42 pm

wow.. always amazes me how different peoples views of restaurants are from mine.

I would go for Cafe de Artiste for a special night. I agree Trio's is consistant, but for me it has been consistantly bad bad bad.

In my view Bruces Back Alley Bistro is too casual and too intrusive for a special night.

I usually enjoy River Cafe so that is also an option and it is less expensive than Cafe de Artiste. May usually isnt that hot at night but it can be -- so AC may be a consideration RC doesnt have any.

I have not been to Si Senor or Barcelona Tapas so can't comment on those.

joinaz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Decisions Decisions

Post by joinaz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Thank you all for your kind recommendations. We are looking for something a little "up scale" so that we can dress nicer than just going out for dinner along the beach somewhere. I looked into one place that recommended a dinner menu on the beach and then move to a bed on the beach -- everything sounded great -- but I just can't see spending $465.00! I believe it was Spaggio (or something like that). Being a little "spendy" is okay but not $500. After all it's not everyday that one reaches 25 years, especially the second time around!

So, I think I've narrowed it down between Cafe de Artistes and Trio. By the way is Epoca by the condos Vista del Sol? That is where we are staying -- what is it like?

Thanks again,
JoAnne and Carl

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi Joanne!

Yes - Epoca is the one by Vista del Sol. We never ate there but it looked really good. By the way - La Palapa has what they call the "romance" table. - It's a table set by itself on the beach with a candle "pathway" leading up to it. It has it's own candle lit lighting and includes a five course meal. I think it came to $260 US. Des had looked into it but we opted for just a regular table on the beach. Either way it was quite nice.

Hope you enjoy your special day! Happy 25th!!

Sherry

Sas11109
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

25th anniversary dinner

Post by Sas11109 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 am

Well I know if it was MY 25th wedding anniversary I would want to celebrate at a very special place. In PV for me (maybe not everyone) it would have to be a balance of fine food as well as a memorable setting - which for ME would include a fabulous view of the ocean.

Although I've only had breakfast at Epoca a few times I would not hesitate trying it for supper...lovely atmosphere, lovely menu. And right on the beach.

"memyselfandi" ..you have some great suggestions as well (I could swear by the writing style that it's Bruce of Bruce's Back Alley writing that post!) however considering where the OP is from (Arizona) an ocean view may be high on the list of Must-Have's.

Edited to say: Just went back & re-read the OP's 2nd reply. I know you said that you want somewhere upscale where you can dress up and not just be at another beach restaurant...well I think Epoca fits the bill. You can have the best of both worlds. You can dress up AND be at a lovely beach restaurant! Their evening menu is very upscale in my opinion, the service is great & it's a lovely location. Can't ask for much more.
Happy Anniversary !

memyselfandi

duh

Post by memyselfandi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:31 am

im in hiding

you know in the 3rd

pst by your ip addy it says you
are the same as

go to page éé for your corect answer

mogens is this the inquisitive one you are refering to ?

Moon Doggy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Fake ID

Post by Moon Doggy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Way to chop any credibility you may have HAD down to NADA Bruce.

Very Lame Bruce!....VERY LAME INDEED!

Go lay by your dish!

memyselfandi

lame

Post by memyselfandi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:29 pm

whats so lame about asking mogens to cancel a name so you can make a new one

seems to me a few people need to take a break from the regular same old crap im tired of bull crap and personality differences

bye

mogen permanently remove all post and anything else you feel fit to

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:24 pm

This has to be Bruce's 18th farewell to one or the other of 3 boards.

Sas11109
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Huh ?

Post by Sas11109 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:33 am

RE: im in hiding

you know in the 3rd

pst by your ip addy it says you
are the same as

go to page éé for your corect answer
mogens is this the inquisitive one you are refering to ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bruce, if this post of yours is directed at me I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. I'm not sure what I'm "the same as" or WHERE Page ee is.

And why would Mogens even THINK I'm "an inquistive one" ...about what? I haven't posted here for a very long time ..why would I be THE INQUISITIVE one ?

The reason for my post was because I feel Epoca is a lovely restaurant..that's it. Plain & simple. I made the comment about it sounding like you because ....it looked like your writing style. And now you've admitted it WAS you.

Not quite sure why you continue to do this "incognito thing" by using other names to post by. No, there's likely no harm in it ..but what's the point? I don't get it. Just post what you want & let the chips fall where they may. You have a right to voice your opinion the same as everyone else does ..to me it just looks silly when you keep posting under different names & then owning up to it. If you want to be taken seriously why always hide behide different aliases? Doesn't make much sense to me however you may have your reasons which you're entitled to.

Getting back to the original post. Another place we've had nice meals at is Coco Tropical..very romantic setting. And also...what about El Set..I can't think of a more beautiful setting than that.

To the original poster..sorry to derail your post a bit. I meant well in the first place and I hope you find your perfect place to celebrate your most wonderful anniversary![/quote]

montyjam
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by montyjam » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Back to the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Vista Grille as one of the best restaurants I've ever enjoyed in PV (or elsewhere). I also like La Palapa but sometimes, sand in my sandals isn't what I'm looking for in a nice romantic evening. :) The view is AMAZING and the food, wine, service and ambiance can't be beat.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Congratulations on your 25th!

joinaz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Vista Grille

Post by joinaz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 am

WOW, just looked at their website and must throw this into the mix as well. Good thing we have a month and half to make our final decision. Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

We ate at La Palapa last visit to PV so that is why we are leaving it out -- want to try something new and different -- that's part of what we love about traveling -- eating eating eating!

JoAnne and Carl

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:53 pm

About to have our 9th stay at Vista Del Sol, and for some reason we have never dinned at Epoca (or whatever it was called before it was Epoca). I would imagine it is doing better since the Malecon extension.

We will give it another look next month.

joinaz
PV Fan
PV Fan

Made a Decision...but problem

Post by joinaz » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:04 am

We finally decided on Cafe des Artistes. I have been trying to schedule a reservation on their web site but keeps coming back saying error in our information and won't transmit. Do you think we need a reservation (would prefer the air-conditioned room) or just wait until we arrive in PV and make one? The night we plan on going would be five nights after our arrival.

But I thank all of you for your suggestions and will be trying several of the others during our visit to PV.

--Don't you just love going to PV and EATING?--

JoAnne and Carl

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Made a Decision...but problem

Post by ellen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:54 am

joinaz wrote:We finally decided on Cafe des Artistes. I have been trying to schedule a reservation on their web site but keeps coming back saying error in our information and won't transmit. Do you think we need a reservation (would prefer the air-conditioned room) or just wait until we arrive in PV and make one? The night we plan on going would be five nights after our arrival.

But I thank all of you for your suggestions and will be trying several of the others during our visit to PV.

--Don't you just love going to PV and EATING?--

JoAnne and Carl
I think it will work just as well if you wait until you get there. High season is over and there shouldn't be any problem getting a reservation when you want it.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

The roof?

Post by oneistwo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 pm

When in May are you going? At Cafe, I'd recommend a "roof" patio table rather than the air conditioned room, but at some point in May they stop using it.

Do make a reservation, but you can do that via local phone when you get there.