Authentic, Unique, Casual dining

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

ritavic
PV Fan
PV Fan

Authentic, Unique, Casual dining

Post by ritavic » Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 pm

I would love suggestions for the best kept secrets or "hole in the wall" places in PV. I stay in a condo while on vacation. When we actually decide to go out to eat, we're looking for something unique (not American food). We usually only go out for late dinners.
Thanks!

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Wed May 02, 2007 12:58 pm

DELETED

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Hole in the wall places

Post by marcos » Wed May 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Tacos Pancho (I think that's the name), just next door to the Cafe de Olla is a real hole in the wall. Real authentic tacos. I love the ones with meat, pepper strips and a cream sauce ... almost like a mexican version of Beef Stroganoff.

Machi's BBQ (although not a hole in the wall) is always one of our favorite places to eat. Sue just loves the Mexican Meatloaf but Enrique only has it early in the week.

Since you eat late, probably none of the comida corrida places will be open but they're almost always good.

The street taco stand just a block up from the Los Muertos pier has outstanding quesadillas but they, too, may be closed when you want to eat. But just walk around and look for street stands. Whenever you see one with lots of folks eating, you cacn be certain that the food is good.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Wed May 02, 2007 4:44 pm

I second Marcos on the Taco place next to Cafe Olla - Des and I ate dinner there twice - it was fabulous!

Sherry

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Hector's, et al.

Post by oneistwo » Wed May 02, 2007 5:20 pm

It's not really a secret and it's more like a hole in the fence rather than a hole in the wall, but there's Hector's Sunset between the north end of the main part of town and the Sheraton. There's a fence across the properties that were wiped out by the hurricane a few years ago, and there's an opening leading to Hector's. Great Seafood.

The Red Cabbage is what I'd call Mexican gourmet. A must. It's way up the street that parallels the Rio Cuale. Look it up in the local phone book, and when you for reservations and write down the address to hand to the cabbie.

For lunches, there's an enormous number of little places, like El Cathedral up Basilio Badillo (if I remember correctly).

The ultimate unique hole in the wall is Los Caprichos, a tapas place at Iturdibe and Miramar, in the neighborhood behind the cathedral. I think they're open for dinner now, but I don't know how late.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Celia's Cenaduria, which is up the same street as the large Farmacia Guadalajara, and Tacos Mucino, which is on the corner of Aquiles Serdan and the main street, just across from the old Molino de Agua site.

ritavic
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ritavic » Wed May 02, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks again! Keep them coming. I'm making a running list.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Thu May 03, 2007 1:38 pm

I agree with ellen about tacos mucino, great food and even better prices.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm

JROJEFF wrote:I agree with ellen about tacos mucino, great food and even better prices.
That's great. You're the first person who has said that. I have posted about it a couple of times. I think the value for the meals is outstanding and we have never had a bad meal there.

JROJEFF
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by JROJEFF » Fri May 04, 2007 1:40 pm

I asked a cab driver where something good to eat was one night , he said jump in. I bought his dinner in exchange for the fee, now I eat at tacos mucino a couple times a week when I visit. It's also a favorite for the guys/girls working at the hotel. I bring them something back also.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 pm

I am very familiar with this part of town, but somehow have never noticed Tacos Mucino, and am having a hard time picturing where it is on Aquiles Serdan. Can you tell me what is close by?

ritavic
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ritavic » Fri May 04, 2007 4:15 pm

Tacos Mucino's sounds interesting. We've taken a cab driver's suggestion many times. Sometimes I worry that we're just going where they know the owner and not because it's good. But, it's usually a winner and less touristy.

zaksam321
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by zaksam321 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 pm

The little place on the Malecon across the street from McDonald's has really good tacos on Friday nights only.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun May 06, 2007 7:38 pm

teduardo wrote:I am very familiar with this part of town, but somehow have never noticed Tacos Mucino, and am having a hard time picturing where it is on Aquiles Serdan. Can you tell me what is close by?
It's "kitty-korner" from Posada Rio Cuale, across the street from the old main entrance to Molino de Agua, and next door to the sandal maker.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Mon May 07, 2007 5:10 pm

ellen wrote:next door to the sandal maker.
Got it, thanks!

I must have been too busy walking past the OPC that is over there, and missed Tacos Mucino, I won't miss it this trip.

Geeze, we get a taxi from the sitio right there at least once a day, I need to open my eyes :roll: