Seafood market(s)

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Seafood market(s)

Post by TNbear » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:32 am

My wife and I will be back in PV at the end of October for our second visit. Our first was in Feb. for a wedding which used up most of our time. We have rented a condo in Old Town which has a kitchen. My wife being an excellent cook, we want to know where is a good place to buy fresh seafood to prepare ourselves.
Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:44 pm

We found a couple of shops that were near one of the swinging bridges by the "marketplace" that was by the river in OldTown. There was also a supermarket across the street. I didn't note the names - sorry - but they should be easy to find. We would walk there and bargain a bit. Fabulous fresh shrimp and lots of other fish too.

I think the supermarket might have been Rizzo's but maybe someone else can help out with better directions.

Sherry

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:15 pm

From the research I've done, I'm sure that it is rizzo's market you are speaking of. I figured that it would be a fall back position for sure, but I'm more interested in the small stalls or shops that are maybe even operated by the fisherman and/or his family.
Thanks for the input.
Bear

northmb
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by northmb » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Bear!

Across the street from that supermarket you will find a few family owned and operated seafood shops. Tiny places with lots of fresh choices. We checked out a few and then settled on one that gave us the best price for beautiful fresh shrimp! Made for some fabulous dinners!!

Sherry

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:08 pm

TNbear ..El Pitillal is very easy to get to..
You will probably find little Seafood shops there..I would think you just might meet the fisherman's family ...
Pitillal is where many of locals do their shopping...
Plan to spend several hours or the day in Pitillal..
You will enjoy seeing Old Mexico come to life...

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:24 pm

There is a fish market near the beginning of the Malecon across the street from McDonalds, along with the ones by Rizos. I have never seen a specific "fish market" in Pitillal. Usually by the time the fish gets to Pitillal it is going to the fisherman's families and
neighbors. :D Pitillal is a little far to travel from Los Muertos when you have fish markets in the Malecon and southside areas.

Pitillal has alot of shops to look around in and you can sometimes find things you are looking for you are not able to find in the tourist shops in PV.

femme
PV Fan
PV Fan

fish market

Post by femme » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:52 pm

the best fish market for fresh fish right now in pv is the one in cinco deciembre there prices are fun to haggle over too

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:45 pm

across the street from rizzo is the little fish store, next to it on the corner is a lunch counter type restaurant. they have excellent shrimp tacos. if you're stopping for fresh fish, might as well get a taco on the way!!

allen_chaucer
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

food

Post by allen_chaucer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:17 am

In fact Pitillal is a good market place. Everything is available there.

Allen
http://www.blogestates.com/blog/jacob

TNbear
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by TNbear » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:18 pm

Well, I'm back after a wondeful week in PV. We checked out two seafood markets; the one directly across from Rizo's had some nice looking little snappers we purchased for our first home-cooked dinner and they were very good, however on subsequent visits this shop had rather a bad smell to it. The shop on the same side of the street as Rizo's but half a block south had a much better selection and smelled much nicer, two different days we purchased a couple of crabs and a quarter kilo of huge shrimp which made wonderful dinners.
Rizo's does not offer seafood, but they have some good looking meats and sausages. The smoked pork chops in particular made an excellent breakfast, along with eggs that had the deepest yellow yolks I've seen in a long time.
We purchased some chicken there one day and cooked it with some jarred green mole we picked up, the chicken tasted so much better than supermarket chicken in the States.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Supermarkets in Puerto Vallarta

Post by webmaster » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Link: Supermarkets in Puerto Vallarta

Greetings

Mogens
Webhamster

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Make sure, when you buy "fresh" fish that it is really "fresh". If you look at the eys...the whites of the eys...they should be white, not red. Red eys is a good indicator of fish that is not fresh (and no, Visine does not help). Also smell the fish, if it smells like amonia; not fresh. Should smell like fish. Chuck... 8)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:23 pm

charlieb wrote:Make sure, when you buy "fresh" fish that it is really "fresh". If you look at the eyes...
... and it blinks at you, it's fresh.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:54 pm

:lol:
:lol: