Best Cheapest Shrimp where?

Tips, comments and questions on restaurants, bars, cafés, budget food and more.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

riderprider
PV Fan
PV Fan

Best Cheapest Shrimp where?

Post by riderprider » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 am

cuanto cuesta?????? $$

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

camarones

Post by Jennybean » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:40 pm

Might need to be more specific, like how do you like it prepared?

People could send you in about 12 different directions but it's easier if you say "where do I find the cheapest garlic shrimp" or "cheapest coconut shrimp" etc. etc.

My personal picks for cheap and good are:

Shrimp on a stick on the beach - very cheap
Shrimp tacos at Tacos Marisma on Naranjo - super cheap
Coconut Shrimp at Cafe Bohemio - medium cheap
Deep fried shrimp at Mariscos Tinos in Pitillal - medium cheap
Wiri Shrimp w/ peach sauce at Mariscos Polo - medium cheap
Garlic Shrimp at Burros Bar - medium cheap
Shrimp Enrique at Machis BBQ - low/medium cheap
Beer battered shrimp at Fajita Republic - hardly cheap

Any shrimp at Blue Shrimp or Shrimp Factory - not cheap at all! LOL

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Jen's cleanup crew here, with a couple more suggestions.

All you can eat at Pacifica Grill
La Tia Catrina
El Brujo

And new since we were last there is Joe Jack's Fish Shack on Basilio Badillo, which is getting very good reviews by the locals.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:27 pm

Jennybean
The shrimp on a stick on the beach...last year I wanted some so bad but my hubby talked me out of it. They are safe to eat? He won't talk me out of it if you tell me they are safe. :)
Joyce

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:48 pm

We eat them, they are cooked over charcoal and basted with a yummy garlic sauce.

That said, I get a little hesitant buying from the guys walking the beach, don't know if he has had a bad sales day and the shrimpies are getting a bit old.

So just wander over to the stand where the cook 'em, and order a couple of freshly cooked sticks. Most of the mariscos stands also cook up whole red snapper on a stick the same way, good stuff. I also like to buy a couple of shrimp sticks and take them up to the condo and put them in the fridge for a little shrimp cocktail later.

If it makes hubby feel more comfortable, we can watch one of the main stands from the condo we stay in. Each morning they arrive with fresh seafood. In the evening the whole family that runs the stand cooks up and eats whatever has not sold that day. I have been watching them do that for several years now, and they are all still there alive and kicking when we return.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Shrimp

Post by Jennybean » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:49 pm

This past trip (Oct/Nov) was the first one of 9 in the last 7 years that I didn't have one Joyce. And that was only because I wasn't on the beach very much.

I'm still here, living to tell the tale. They're cooked over an open charcoal grill so I'd say they're pretty safe. You can even ask them to run it over the grill one more time to warm it if you like.

The only beach food I don't eat are the plates of oysters they walk around with. Nope, no way, no how am I touching those! LOL

Oh...and I second Ted's recommendation of La Tia Catrina shrimp...*drool*. Their prices are drool worthy too for the quality of food.[/i]

delectdee
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by delectdee » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:03 am

we dream of shrimp on a stick on the beach. pretty tastey in price and yumminess. we liked the 'all you can eat shrimp' (with chicken/fish or just shrimp) at Pacifica. the size of shrimp were comparable to small animals! we found the coconut batter and deep fried a bit heavy but the grilled shrimp were very good.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:24 pm

If you go to El Brujo, try the Shrimp Trasmantal. When your waiter or waitress slits that foil bag, you will think you died and went to Shrimp heaven.You will not walk out thinking you did not get enough Shrimp either.

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:15 am

Speaking of the beach bbq's. The first year we went (4 years ago), my Wife had caught a real nice yellow fin tuna. We were staying at a condo but no one wanted to cook it. We had gave 1/2 of it away to the Captain of the boat since there was so much meat and we didn't want it to go to waste. We brought our side (filet) to a beach bbq guy down on Los Muertos beach. We gave him a few bucks and he cooked it up and put it on sticks for us. There were 8 of us and we all got a real nice lunch that was very good thanks to the bbq'r.

Adios,
T.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Fresh Seafood

Post by smitty » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:32 pm

We had a similar treat on this years vacation . Sylvia's husband Bill and a friend went fishing and brought the catch back to the resort . The Las Palmas kitchen staff prepared the fish and we had a huge platter for supper that evening. We had enough for our group ( about 6 couples ) and more to share with other guests. One of the best meals me and Laurie had on our vacation . :)

joboblaw
PV Fan
PV Fan

Shrimp!!

Post by joboblaw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Hands down,the best shrimp meal we experienced was Mauricio's in Ixtapa, Jalisco state. Just take the bus from PV to Ixtapa (not far past the airport). Be sure to get on the bus with Ixtapa written on the front window. The cost for the bus is 4 1/2 pesos, so roughly 45 cents.

Combination 3 is to die for. We had at least 20 huge shrimp each. One third was breaded, one third in garlic and the other thrid was served in a spicy sauce

You gotta try it!!

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Shrimp

Post by big guy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:13 am

El Brujo , shrimp trasmantal is exellent. We go there every year at least twice. The first night in P.V. every year we go to Burro's Bar for Mummied Shrimp.(jumbo shrimp stuffed with cheese, wrapped with bacon and deep fried, served on a bed of rice) They dont get any better than that.

littlear
PV Fan
PV Fan

what is phone # or web address for Pacifica Grill?????

Post by littlear » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:23 pm

teduardo wrote:Jen's cleanup crew here, with a couple more suggestions.

All you can eat at Pacifica Grill
La Tia Catrina
El Brujo

And new since we were last there is Joe Jack's Fish Shack on Basilio Bad :wink: illo, which is getting very good reviews by the locals.

Please tell me web address, email address or phone # of Pacifica Grill. thanks, Arlene [email protected]

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Beach shrimp on a stick get my vote for "cheap-best".

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Shrimp!!

Post by michelle/tyler » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:40 pm

joboblaw wrote:Hands down,the best shrimp meal we experienced was Mauricio's in Ixtapa, Jalisco state. Just take the bus from PV to Ixtapa (not far past the airport). Be sure to get on the bus with Ixtapa written on the front window. The cost for the bus is 4 1/2 pesos, so roughly 45 cents.

Combination 3 is to die for. We had at least 20 huge shrimp each. One third was breaded, one third in garlic and the other thrid was served in a spicy sauce

You gotta try it!!
I have to agree my parents just got back and they said they went there. My mom said the shrimp were huge and there was so many that she couldnt eat them all and the prices were unbelievable

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by big guy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:46 am

El Brujo's again this year and the shrimp trasmantal is still the best shrimp dinner I've had in P.V.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:55 am

big guy wrote:El Brujo's again this year and the shrimp trasmantal is still the best shrimp dinner I've had in P.V.
big guy, where is El Brujo's?

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:45 pm

ellen wrote:
big guy wrote:El Brujo's again this year and the shrimp trasmantal is still the best shrimp dinner I've had in P.V.
big guy, where is El Brujo's?

SE Corner of Venustiano Carranza and Naranjo (south of “small tunnel”)
Open 5:00 PM- 10:00 PM

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:46 pm

Just a FYI,
Most of the resturants in PV will cook your catch of the day for you. They usually add rice, salad, tortillas to it for a nominal fee per person.

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by big guy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:10 pm

It's about 3 blocks behind Mundo's tile shop.( away from the ocean) Can't remember the name of the street. Don't think your in a bad area because your not. There is a few good restaurants in this area. Most people dont know about them. Red Cabbage and Tony's Please to name a couple more.