Top 3 things to bring home

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

shopcrazy
Top 3 things to bring home

Post by shopcrazy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:47 pm

Other that the obvious (tequila and kahlua) what do you think are the best things to bring home? I'm thinking vanilla, blankets and silver. Any other ideas?

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Re:Top 3 things to bring home

Post by howard_jax » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:09 am

The do some wonderful things with Leathers, Onyx and stained glass. The latter is a pain to bring home, but most of the stores wrap it real well and it is sure worthwhile.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:57 pm

The Talevera pottery is great! I could fill my house with those beautiful pieces.

susana

Re:my stuff

Post by susana » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:55 pm

Blankets! They make wonderful Christmas gifts, are not expensive, and easy to pack. I often buy a large plastic carry-basket then fill it with blankets. I usually do my shopping from a vendor on the beach at Playa Los Muertos. Pareo/sarongs if you have beach-going friends to buy for.

Not to everyone's taste but here's the rest of my list... When I'm down before the holidays I've bought wonderful (in Spanish &/or musical) cards, gift wrap, and decorations. I like the various bright colored plastic kitchen wear you can find (again cheap and easy to pack). And usually pick up a number of 'PV' items like key chains, ashtrays, lighters, beach towels just to hand out for fun.

Mikey and Gabby

Post by Mikey and Gabby » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:19 pm

Well the number 1 thing to bring back from PV...The great memories!

clinta74

Post by clinta74 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:23 pm

besides Russia and ebay the best place to get AMBER is in PV, also anything custom. Something you may want to think about is custom made jewelry. There are several excl. jewelers in town. Had a pair of Butterfly Earrings made for the wife around $200 pesos. Thing is this is silver country and gold seems to be a bit pricey, so if you want gold bring something to melt down.

clinta74

Post by clinta74 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:30 pm

And here is my #1 tip. Take along a foldup nylon cooler. Great for the beach (coolers tend to be expensive in PV) and it can be used as an extra piece of luggage on the return. We pack it with dirty cloths and check it, or fragile items and carry it on.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:34 pm

Bumping a fun question. :)

I like to bring home from Puerto Vallarta
the traditional glass ware with the blue trim

We like the ceramic masks we can find.
Will take a pic of the ones we have purchased and post it later.

What are your fav items to bring home for the children?

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Souvenirs

Post by smitty » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Laurie likes the wide selection of beach wraps that you can get in PV. She also always gets a hand woven basket or two . The blue coloured ceramics are also a favourite. I like the little skeleton figurines . You can find a skeleton figurine depicting most professions / hobbies.

For children , I bet most would like the wrist bands with their names on them. The chokers with suns or dolphins on them would be a nice gift for teens. The handmade frilly dresses would be perfect for little girls. :)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

souvernir

Post by chico98 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:08 am

so if you want gold bring something to melt down
my wife needed a filling for her teeth
at the time there was not much in modern dental supplies
so i gave my gold wedding ring that was made out of gold fillings
to be filled..
that made our relationship a very tight bond..

my best personal souvernir

chico

sdonn1020
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sdonn1020 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm

tummy problems ha ha just kidding. actually most things when you think of mexico are from Jalisco. Last year, I bought leather sandels and a belt also. I recommend mugs and ect..

big guy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

things to bring home

Post by big guy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:44 pm

Number ne on the list is Flavored Tequila, any flavor they are all good. A suntan from paradise, and all the good memories and new friends. I have lots as I've been going to P.V. for 19 years now. Leave Feb 18 for 1 month.

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:26 am

sdonn1020 wrote:tummy problems ha ha just kidding. actually most things when you think of mexico are from Jalisco. Last year, I bought leather sandels and a belt also. I recommend mugs and ect..
My husband bought a leather belt at the flea market about 5 years ago and he still wears it. It is of excellent quality and does not compare to the 3 others he has bought and worn here in America. About the glass ware with the blue rims....I too LOVE that stuff, bought a large pitcher and 4 margarita glasses 5 years, this past year I wanted to add to the collection. Long story short...the sweet man that sold them to me wrapped them and packaged them nice and tight in a box, however, I had to unwrap and unpack the box at the airport. I could not get everything back in the right way and I had to carry everything on because I could not get the box closed. It all turned out well though!
Last edited by welovepv on Thu May 11, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:33 am

my fav that I brought back for my mother and mother in law was these concrete roof shingles (i think thats what they are) anyways they have different painted pictures on them there beautiful.

and of course I brought back a couple of blankets.

the other neat thing we brought back was these stone and cast iron address hangers to put on the outside of your home.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Silver- Kay has so much and wears most of it that when we are vacation if you dropped her in a pool, she would sink deeper than the Titanic.

Blankets- My downfall...I have about 6 of them in the house and have given away as gifts two dozen. The colors intrigue me and all that Juan(infront of the GCP) has to do is make eye contact as I am sipping Cuba libres by the pool and he has another sale.

Tequila... Nuf said.
Last edited by chuck on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winnipeg gal 1
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by Winnipeg gal 1 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:06 am

Lots & lots of pictures,memories & new friends!!!!

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Best souvenir

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:14 pm

Rosewood carvings from Javier in Yelapa. So beautiful.
Joyce

boaterkathy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

What about tiles??

Post by boaterkathy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't think anyone here has mentioned tiles. I was thinking that might be something I would like to bring home. This is our first trip, so do any of you PV "veterans" have any suggestions on buying colorful tiles?

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:36 am

One year we bought blue-rimmed tequila glasses and a matching pitcher. The guy at the market wrapped them and boxed them carefully. We carried them on but that was before 9/11. We have not bought any more breakables since that time. We hadto unpackage them at the airport before getting on. I was not sure I could get them back in the box!!!!
Last edited by welovepv on Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:14 am

I have carried wrapped and packaged breakables back home several times in recent years and have never been made to unpack anything when leaving PV. But I always ask the vendor to label the outside of the box with what is inside. I don't know if that holds true in all cases, but so far it's worked for me.