Tequila with a worm

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

Great_White_North

Tequila with a worm

Post by Great_White_North » Thu May 13, 2004 3:33 am

I'm just wondering if tequila with a worm is a common thing in PV or is there a certain place I have to go to get it.

load_warrior

Re:Tequila with a worm

Post by load_warrior » Thu May 13, 2004 1:41 pm

No problem, you can find tequila at corner convenience stores. If you go to an actual liquor store you'll find 100 different varieties. Tequila usually doesn't have the worm, though, mezcal does.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu May 13, 2004 2:34 pm

As long as the worm doesn't drink much, it's OK with me.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Thu May 13, 2004 5:36 pm

there is medication available for worms. m.m.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri May 14, 2004 3:33 am

load warrior would be correct - tequila does not have the worm, mezcal does.

If you want to sample some good tequilas without taking a full tour, stop by Casa de Tequila on Morelos. Otherwise, I can recommend the tequila tour to Pitillal.

If you want to buy it inexpensively in PV, try the Super La Playa, one block east of the Malecon at Rolling Stones leather. Great prices, and I mean GREAT. I bought a bottle of Don Julio Reposado for $31USD in November - if I can get it here at home (special order) it's well over $75CAD.

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Fri May 14, 2004 6:24 pm

If you want to impress somebody with your knowledge of the different types of tequila, you can stop at this website first:
http://www.itequila.org/types.htm

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Fri May 14, 2004 7:47 pm

matt (May 14, 2004 02:25 p.m.):
If you want to impress somebody with your knowledge of the different types of tequila, you can stop at this website first:
http://www.itequila.org/types.htm
thanaks matt that is a great website. m.m.

jubilee

Post by jubilee » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:38 pm

Do you all realize how much the Mexicans laugh at Americans and Canadians concerning the worm thing? It does absolutely nothing, and was just a gimmick. Speak to any Mexican in PV and they will smile and laugh. all the time being very polite about it.

jj

Post by jj » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:11 pm

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a ditz, what is the purpose of the worm in the mescal?

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:42 am

The worm is there so you will never have to drink alone...just kidding :-)

According to the link I posted above:
The worm is placed in some mezcal bottles as a marketing gig. However the maguey grows worms that are a delicacy in Mexico fetching astronomical prices at luxury restaurants. The best known are “Gusanos de Maguey” and “Chinicuiles”.

el_camino88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by el_camino88 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:55 pm

some ppl eat it lol, my aunt ate half of it once and split it with her friend...EW

SILVERBULLET AKA COORSLIG

Post by SILVERBULLET AKA COORSLIG » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:18 am

Cheapest place for Tequila is the Sams club. I bought two bottles of Don Julio Reposado plus 2 miniatures for $50.The Don Julio Anejo was $31. The Cuervo Anejo isn't bad either for about $21-$22.

WK

Post by WK » Sun May 01, 2005 4:19 am

what if you're not a sams club member? or is it just a walmart? mezcal with a worm is awful tequila. 100% blue agave--as expensive as it is, is the best.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:07 pm

Check out the Casa de Tequila... they have so many samples for you to try... their resturant isn't too bad either... but another place that is excellent for prices is the Super LaPlaya's... they excellent prices on tequila, rum (Appleton Estates V/X is the best)... but there is also the tequila factory tour that is suppose to be good... you might pick up some hints and tidbits on good tequila... now for sipping i do like the Don Julio... but there are so many others to try as well....

good luck and happy slammer.....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Mon May 02, 2005 12:46 am

Oh no! another fan of Appleton's Estate V/X. Had my first of many in Jamaica and really is my fave rum.

stew

Post by stew » Mon May 02, 2005 1:02 am

If you drink enough tequila for long enough you will see alot more then worms ina bottle as you detox! LOL trust me I know!

beach_girl13

Post by beach_girl13 » Tue May 03, 2005 2:29 am

Glad we covered the no worm in tequila thing....how do you plan on drinking your tequila? Do u plan on mixing it margaritas and such? do you plan on sipping it? I wouldn't bother with blanco...reposado if you plan to mix...anejo if you plan to sip...thats just my opinion tho. If you plan on sipping it try a tequila completo...take a little lime, a little salt, a sip of tequila, and some sangrita(sorta like v8 juice). I wouldnt bother shopping at the gigante or the other grocery store to buy your tequila, the prices were very similar to what I find in the US. If you go into a la playa...I would suggest the one down by restuarant row if its still there as the ones in the main shopping area and close to the hotel zone seemed to be less of a bargain.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Tue May 03, 2005 8:19 pm

There are three Super La Playa locations I know of, one on Olas Altas, just north of where it turns onto Basilio Badillo (beside the bank, just north of PVCafe.com), one just north of Rolling Stone Leather on the Malecon, and one near the Sheraton in the hotel zone. Very good prices, usually better than at duty free.

I agree with beach_girl, blanco is for lighting campfires, reposado for making a nice margarita, and añejo for sipping. Don't bother with anything that isn't 100% blue agave, it's not worth your time or abuse of your taste buds. LOL