What do things cost in Puerto Vallarta???

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

paige1025

What do things cost in Puerto Vallarta???

Post by paige1025 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:21 pm

Hello All,
My husband suprised me with a trip to PV on NOv.16/04. We have been reading up on the city and area for weeks planning and getting excited. The one thing we can't find on-line is the average cost of things in PV. Exapmpl: what does an Import drink cost? The average dinner at a pub or okay restaurant (Americian food)? What does the avgerage souveneir cost (t-shirt, bead necklace etc)? We are trying to figure out whow much money to bring. We have an air-hotel package so we need to bring enough money for food, spending (at least 1 day trip for snorkeling or something), a little shopping and your average amount of drinks for 7 days! ;0)

Any suggestions on how much money (Americian) to bring?

Thanks
Heather

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:What do things cost in Puerto Vallarta???

Post by randyintucson » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:24 am

Don't expect to find many bargains. Prices are like what you will find in many US cities. A six pack of Tecate @$5.00 for example. Cheap t-shirts easy to find. Buses and taxis cheap. Restaurants just like at home, from $ to $$$$. Weather that time of the year should be perfect. Have a great trip!

Chinooks

Post by Chinooks » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:34 am

Be happy you are going with American $$$. Canadian ..always takes the joy out a bit for us.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:07 am

Don't worry about it. You will be in p.v. and we won't be.

paige1025

Post by paige1025 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:10 am

Chinooks (Oct 20, 2004 12:34 a.m.):
Be happy you are going with American $$$. Canadian ..always takes the joy out a bit for us.
We are Canadian! I was just told to get Americian $ since it is easier!

bzy1inpv

Post by bzy1inpv » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:03 am

Absolutely DO NOT exchange CDN to US dollars and then to pesos. You will lose on the double exchange.
Just use CDN dollars or better yet, your ATM card and use pesos. Make sure your ATM card has a 4 digit pin number and is part of Cirrus, Plus or other international netoworks. There is no advantage to using US dollars to pay for things in Mexico, as you are at the mercy of the merchants exchange, and normally would fare better by exchanging CDN for pesos at a bank, casa de cambio or at an ATM machine.

The CDN dollar is strong, over 8 pesos to the CDN dollar.

And no one please flame me, (Ok, go ahead if you want) but the Canadian Dollar and the US Dollar are not the same and should not be compared as such. They only share the same name. It is like comparing Albaian Lek to Omani Rial. (Apples and Oranges)
The US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar are not the same currency, are not interchangeable.

The US Dollar, the Euro and the Yen are used on the world market as a comparison and as a gauge to the world wide economy. Imagine how a Mexican feels converting their pesos to US or CDN dollars to travel to either country...they get much less when you consider the average wage, cost of living and cost of travel/expenses.

Anyway, it depends on what you are buying and convenience factor. Beer at the stores and the places that have happy hour, a beer will run you about 8 to 12 pesos. (8.1 pesos per CDN Dollar) Nightclubs/discos will be more expensive, even if they offer 2x1's.

T-shirts can be found for 5 to 7 shirts for100 pesos.

Dinner can be had for as little as 40 pesos to 500 pesos or more depending on where you dine.
A large chicken, potatoes, tortillas and salsa will be about 50 pesos at any of the many chicken restaurants/take outs.

Large shrimp at many of the moderate restaurants will be about 120-180 pesos.
You can get a platter of shrimp (about 30) with soup, salad, rice, bread, fried banana and a small kahlua and cream at Mauricio's for 99 pesos.

Andale's has small margaritas for 16 pesos. Large for 45 pesos.
Lazy Lizard has buckets of beer for 50 pesos for 5 beers.

Bead necklaces can be bought at the little booths or the beach for about 10 to 30 pesos.

I have a huge restaurant list if you are interested, email me if you would like a copy.:)

Charlieb

Post by Charlieb » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:30 am

Well, Canadian $ and US $ are still "currency of the realm", not "apples and oranges".. If youI get 8.1 pesos for your dollar (Canadian) or 11.0 pesos for my dollar (US)...let's see...which would buy me more crevesa? There is just no way my Canadian Brothers are going to be able to buy as much beer for $100.00 (Canadian) as I am. Now, PLEASE...this is not meant anything against my Brothers to the North. Just Econ 101. Chuck

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Bsy1 is certainly accurate about losing on the double exchange. Just do as she says and exchange your CDN $ at the banks or cambios or use the ATMs. If you plan on using the ATMs, though, I'd first go to your bank in Canada and hike your daily withdrawal amount to the maximum they allow. You'll get charged a fee for every withdrawal so you might as will withdraw, say, $500 CDN every 5 days than $100 CDN every day.

When Sue and I visit ... only 82 more days, yipee !!! ... we plan on a budget of $100 US per day.

We usually have a room with a kitchenette so we have breakfast (cereal and fruit) and lunch (sandwiches, chips and beer) in the room. I doubt if that costs us more than $5 US per day. We don't go anywhere fancy for dinner but generally plan to spend no more than $30 US for dinner, including a couple of drinks each. As long as you don't go to fancy restaurants you should be able to eat pretty well for $30 US per couple.

The rest ($50 to $60 US) goes for booze and a few souveniers. A couple of hours at CC's at Happy Hour usually costs us $20 US or so and another couple of hours at Andales about the same. As you can see, we party pretty hard but that's what vacation in PV is all about.

Stew

Post by Stew » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:41 pm

As a retired old fart when I travel Mexico alone I can even in PV get by for around 20 USD a day plus housing costs. When I stay long term I rent a bungalow for 600 USD a month. That's livingroom/kitchen, seperate bedroom w/ac, cable & bath. I have seen units for under 5000 pesos (about 450USD). I eat breakfast in alot or have one of the super breakfast specials on Playa muertos & mostly eat south of the river, but there are bargins north of it also. One of my fav places is on the lower end of Matamoras, Upstairs with lovely outdoor patio seating. Full lunches 30 pesos (2.65 USD). You just have to look around. For a treat I love the Red Cabbage, about 12USD for dinner. PV need not be expensive if your budget is limited. Take the buses (very cheap) have a meal off the taco stands, lots to do that are free or cost very little. Of course having been to Mexico over 50 times my souviner buying days are long over.

paige1025

Post by paige1025 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:31 pm

Charlieb (Oct 20, 2004 03:30 a.m.):
Well, Canadian $ and US $ are still "currency of the realm", not "apples and oranges".. If youI get 8.1 pesos for your dollar (Canadian) or 11.0 pesos for my dollar (US)...let's see...which would buy me more crevesa? There is just no way my Canadian Brothers are going to be able to buy as much beer for $100.00 (Canadian) as I am. Now, PLEASE...this is not meant anything against my Brothers to the North. Just Econ 101. Chuck

okay BUT if I only get $75 Americian for my $100 canadian and THEN exchange it I am still loosing the $25 Canadian aren't I?????? I think that is what they were talking about, exchanging from Can to AM to Peso's!

PVjoy

Post by PVjoy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:08 pm

okay BUT if I only get $75 Americian for my $100 canadian and THEN exchange it I am still loosing the $25 Canadian aren't I?????? I think that is what they were talking about, exchanging from Can to AM to Peso's!

wrong,
they were talking about the service charges from CDN to USD and then again from USD to MXN
just change CDN to USD and pay the service/comission charges just the one time.

PVjoy

Post by PVjoy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:09 pm

i meant CDN to MXN, and pay the exchange service and comission just the one time.

susana

Post by susana » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:39 pm

The best way to get money is use your ATM card to withdraw peso directly. The second best way is to change your Canadian money at any casa de cambio (change window) which are all over town with rates posted (for US, Canadian, and others).

You can eat cheap or expensive in PV. There's plenty of nice smaller restaurants in Downtown and the Southside that are very reasonable. I'm not sure about finding "American food" though. Prices in the resort areas are higher. You can visit a grocery store for picnic stuff if you need to save money. I think the biggest single cost depends on how much alcohol you drink and where you drink it. Beer from the store is cheap, some local bars have good deals, but a beer in a restaurant overlooking The Malecon will run you same as at home if not more. A cocktail made with top-shelf or imported liquor will cost similar to what you pay at home in a nice restaurant. Mexican booze and/or happy hours are cheaper.

babio

Post by babio » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:08 am

Hi>
Went to PV in July. At first, until I wrapped my head around the exchange rate (100-150pesos) for a meal, I was confused. Once I got with it and was able to easily convert I realized how inexpensive things are. Definitely do not exchange $CAD into $USD before you come. Although the Canadian dollar is climbimg it always costs to purchase USD. I made sure I had a few 100 pesos ready for when I arrived and then exchanged at both the Cambios and withdrew from the ATM. The rate was good and I did not have any hidden charges. At that time I recieved 800 pesos for $100 CAD. With many Hotels and restaurants offering Hora de Feliz and Cubetas (buckets of 3 coronas) of beer for 35 pesos. Two for one Margaritas for 35 pesos etc. What can I say? CHEAP,CHEAP,CHEAP!!! I can't wait to return in January...

manfred from ottawa /cana

Post by manfred from ottawa /cana » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:50 pm

babio (Oct 23, 2004 06:08 a.m.):
Hi>
Went to PV in July. At first, until I wrapped my head around the exchange rate (100-150pesos) for a meal, I was confused. Once I got with it and was able to easily convert I realized how inexpensive things are. Definitely do not exchange $CAD into $USD before you come. Although the Canadian dollar is climbimg it always costs to purchase USD. I made sure I had a few 100 pesos ready for when I arrived and then exchanged at both the Cambios and withdrew from the ATM. The rate was good and I did not have any hidden charges. At that time I recieved 800 pesos for $100 CAD. With many Hotels and restaurants offering Hora de Feliz and Cubetas (buckets of 3 coronas) of beer for 35 pesos. Two for one Margaritas for 35 pesos etc. What can I say? CHEAP,CHEAP,CHEAP!!! I can't wait to return in January...
rigth now the cand.$$$ = 9.00 pesos great for a cheap vacation in P.V. need only 50 $$$ cand. spending money for the DAY !!! I am HAPPY . see you all in gebr.05

marty

Post by marty » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:15 pm

just one thing to mention if you want american food- last time down there after about 10 days of eating mexican food i broke down and went to mcdonald's on the malecon and you know what?, that was the best quarter pounder with cheese i've ever had in terms of quality, and i've eaten tons of them all over n. america and europe.

jjbcroft
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by jjbcroft » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:51 am

Since you mentioned McDonalds, when we were there last year, my hubby & I thought it was funny that as we walked down the sidewalk, all the tourists were eating at the mexican resturants and McDonalds only had Mexican customers! Guess it just goes to show, we always think the grass is greener...!
We didn't think the cost of eating out was very different from eating out here at home. Do your research (this board is a great learning tool) and also talk to other people at your hotel - it's a great conversation starter at the pool or bar and they'll tell you where they've been, and whether it was a good experience or not. That's how we've decided for or against a lot of resturants and day trips. Don't get caught in the timeshare trap though. They'll waste a whole day of your precious time in PV, and it's just not worth saving a few bucks on a tour.

jj

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:31 am

I'm sure I'll get snarked at for this but if I want a burger in PV I'd rather go to Chiles on the south side then be caught dead in McDonalds.

As far as CDN/MXN goes right now, rate as of yesterday at the cambios on the south side was 8.8 to 8.9. Certainly a far cry from a year ago or two years ago when it was barely 5.0. I spent like a drunken sailor for two weeks, ate out every single meal, and I'm still bringing money home (took about $1400cdn with me). The CAD is going much further than it used to, and inches up a little more each day. The two times I used the ATM for withdrawals I got 9.3 MXN to the CAD.

What that meant is that a 200 peso dinner I bought in 2002 cost me less this year, even though it was the same price.

Another tip - most of the south side cambios do NOT charge commission to exchange cash. ATMs will charge you your international withdrawal fees, and some will charge a small fee from the MXN banks (I paid 7.5 pesos on a withdrawal at the Bancomer on Olas Altas, on top of my $3.00cdn withdrawal fee).

As far as shopping, I did most of mine on the beach and didn't haggle nearly as much as year's past. Mostly because a) I like to leave some cash with vendors who need it for their families, and b) with the dollar being stronger I wasn't so concerned this time about arguing over 50 pesos. Bought a blanket for 200 pesos, two pair of knockoff Oakley sunglasses for 200 pesos, and a very pretty beach glass anklet for 80 pesos.

I will also reiterate - do NOT exchange your CAD to USD first. The exchange difference between the CAD and the USD to the MXN right now is barely 2 pesos (we are 9.3 to 9.5, theirs is 11.3 to 11.5), so unless you plan to exchange or withdraw a massive amount of cash (I'm talking 10 grand or more), the difference is minimal. US citizens would pay $1.25-1.30USD for the same beer you would pay $1.80-2.00CDN for.

That's the best I know how to lay it down, jet lag still tugging at my brain as I'm home from PV less than 24 hours.

goligo

Post by goligo » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:47 pm

[This is my first visit to Puerto Vallarta and I would really appreciate a copy of your restaurants list. Thank you so much! Goligo quote]bzy1inpv (Oct 20, 2004 02:03 a.m.):
Absolutely DO NOT exchange CDN to US dollars and then to pesos. You will lose on the double exchange.
Just use CDN dollars or better yet, your ATM card and use pesos. Make sure your ATM card has a 4 digit pin number and is part of Cirrus, Plus or other international netoworks. There is no advantage to using US dollars to pay for things in Mexico, as you are at the mercy of the merchants exchange, and normally would fare better by exchanging CDN for pesos at a bank, casa de cambio or at an ATM machine.

The CDN dollar is strong, over 8 pesos to the CDN dollar.

And no one please flame me, (Ok, go ahead if you want) but the Canadian Dollar and the US Dollar are not the same and should not be compared as such. They only share the same name. It is like comparing Albaian Lek to Omani Rial. (Apples and Oranges)
The US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar are not the same currency, are not interchangeable.

The US Dollar, the Euro and the Yen are used on the world market as a comparison and as a gauge to the world wide economy. Imagine how a Mexican feels converting their pesos to US or CDN dollars to travel to either country...they get much less when you consider the average wage, cost of living and cost of travel/expenses.

Anyway, it depends on what you are buying and convenience factor. Beer at the stores and the places that have happy hour, a beer will run you about 8 to 12 pesos. (8.1 pesos per CDN Dollar) Nightclubs/discos will be more expensive, even if they offer 2x1's.

T-shirts can be found for 5 to 7 shirts for100 pesos.

Dinner can be had for as little as 40 pesos to 500 pesos or more depending on where you dine.
A large chicken, potatoes, tortillas and salsa will be about 50 pesos at any of the many chicken restaurants/take outs.

Large shrimp at many of the moderate restaurants will be about 120-180 pesos.
You can get a platter of shrimp (about 30) with soup, salad, rice, bread, fried banana and a small kahlua and cream at Mauricio's for 99 pesos.

Andale's has small margaritas for 16 pesos. Large for 45 pesos.
Lazy Lizard has buckets of beer for 50 pesos for 5 beers.

Bead necklaces can be bought at the little booths or the beach for about 10 to 30 pesos.

I have a huge restaurant list if you are interested, email me if you would like a copy.:)

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:55 pm

we brought 400 CDN in pesos (we exchanged here before we left) and also took 350 CDN in USD. We came home with 4 dollars USD and about 60 pesos... was plenty for us. THe only thing we didn't like is never knowing how much to bring when we went out. A lot of the time we would barely have enough for the bus after our purchases. :o( Oh well. We loved it!