Stinky clothes.... need i say more?

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

suebruce
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Stinky clothes.... need i say more?

Post by suebruce » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:05 am

I am wondering if any of our frequent travellers to PV can recommend one of the local laundrey facilities in downtown PV. I read on one of the bulletin boards that getting it washed and folded is a nice way to treat yourself before coming home so you only need to unpack.

I would like to do this so if anyone out there has a shop they have used and thought was a great deal, can you let me know some details?

Thanks,

Margaritaville

Re:Stinky clothes.... need i say more?

Post by Margaritaville » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:41 pm

There is a very good laundrymat across and up form the San Marino hotel. Very reasonable and do a good job. Just leave your stuff in the morning and pick them up later in the day.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:34 pm

I can't recall the name of the place but I have used the one that is in the Villas Vallarta shopping centre, which is just in front of the Canto del Sol.

susana

Post by susana » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:39 am

I'm not remembering the name either, but on Olas Altas, just south of Basilo Badillo, is just what you're looking for (I want to say Elsa's but I'm not sure). They charge by the piece, drop it off in the morning, get it back that afternoon, washed, dried, folded. Prices posted.

If you are adventuresome there are others up in the neighborhood that go by weight of the load.

krispy's boyfriend

Post by krispy's boyfriend » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:23 pm

The one across from the San Marino was really good and cheep. the washed and folded everything and put paper dividers between the items, folded and ironed. I think it was about $7 us total to get like pants and shirts done.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:18 pm

I don't recall the name or exact location of the place we used a couple of blocks off of Los Muertos beach, but a full large nylon duffel was 100 pesos with tip, clean, dry, folded and very neatly repacked into the bag. My only caveat is that they dried everything at a pretty high temp, and a couple of all cotton items shrunk a bit. Not sure if this is common, but you might think twice about laundering anything that might require different treatment than the rest. Otherwise, well worth the cost.

stew

Post by stew » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 pm

R&D (Apr 22, 2005 01:18 p.m.):
I don't recall the name or exact location of the place we used a couple of blocks off of Los Muertos beach, but a full large nylon duffel was 100 pesos with tip.

TIP? For Laudry? OMG now I have heard it all. Do you tip the shoe store manager or the owner of a silver shop?

susana

Post by susana » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:18 pm

There are lots of different places The one I have used is Elsa's on Olas Altas. Some charge by the piece, prices posted in seso in a menu board, others go by weight. Most all machine wash, dry 'em to death, fold and put into plastic bag. And YES stew my friend, there is a tip jar at the cash register... I think of it along the lines of tipping the maid at the hotel, as this is a household chore they are helping you with.

stew

Post by stew » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:32 pm

susana (Apr 23, 2005 11:18 a.m.):
There are lots of different places The one I have used is Elsa's on Olas Altas. Some charge by the piece, prices posted in seso in a menu board, others go by weight. Most all machine wash, dry 'em to death, fold and put into plastic bag. And YES stew my friend, there is a tip jar at the cash register... I think of it along the lines of tipping the maid at the hotel, as this is a household chore they are helping you with.
Well my friend not looking for a argument, but the laundries I have patronized in Mexico normaly are run by the owner who sets the prices so I do not see a tip jar anything other than a blantent attempt to pad the bill under those conditions. Now I tip Waiters, Maids & other service people. I even tip cab drivers IF They Do something extra such as help me unload my groceries or provided me with needed info. I but not just to drive me up the street. I even tip the lady at the Paletta stand when I get my daily fix. Anyways we will probaly continue to disagree on this one which is OK.

Margaritaville

Post by Margaritaville » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:11 pm

This winter we brought two bags of laundry to the laundry across from the San Marino. Bill came to 140 pesos. We gave them 200 pesos. A 60 peso tip. These people work for minium wage. Anything extra is importamt to them. Not saying we are big tippers, but we do like to give a little extra at places like this.

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 pm

I agree completely with Margaritaville's comments above. I can't say how many of them are owners and how many aren't, but I don't imagine the hired help make more than minimal wages, and it's like a sauna in there all day. I would have otherwise dumped a like amount of money into laundromat machines, and at least this way I can determine how much of it benefits the workers, rather than just the owners of the businesses. Nothing against business, I'm employed by a successful one, but it's nice to be able to make a difference, however small, in someone's day...

Paying with a 100 peso note, I also try to avoid getting a lot of change, and this is a good way of doing so. And no, I don't tip the shoe store manager or silver store owner, but yes, I do tip most of the people (workers) who provide a direct service to me in Vallarta, and I know that I'm not alone in doing so. If someone chooses not to tip, that's their decision, but I don't think there's anything odd about someone who does.