general day to day

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

andywww
PV Fan
PV Fan

general day to day

Post by andywww » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:59 pm

Looking to come to PV in the near future, with the idea of possibly moving there from Acapulco. I am looking for some information on services:

Is there a HSBC (formerly Bital) Bank in PV. Do they have ATM machines in other locations, such as hotels and Wal-Mart and Sam's? (I am presuming there are some sort of ATM's located all over - I like to use them with my US and Mexico based ATM/Debit cards. Using my bank's card at their ATM's has the lowest fee per transaction.)

Where are the Wal-Mart and Sam's located? (Perhaps as referenced to the neighborhoods as shown on the map at http://pvmirror.com/map/ .

I like to use the local Tiendas and OXXO, as well as Comercial Mexicana and Bodega Aurrera. I presume these are available?

Does Unefon have good cellular service in PV?

Thanks. Andy

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Re:general day to day

Post by tandr2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi there,

Sam's & Walmart are directly across from where the cruise ships dock. I vaguely remember seeing a HSBC bacnk - not sure on the location though. Prob downtown.

I think that is all I can help you with. Sorry.

[email protected]

andywww
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by andywww » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Thanks Tracy. I guess I will just see them when I drive into town, and if there is an HSBC in PVR, I am sure i can find it. Andy

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:22 pm

HSBC
Francisco Medina Ascencio #1692
Colonia Olímpica

Libertad y Miramar
Centro

And I assume the Bital at the airport would be an HSBC now too.

andywww
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by andywww » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks Teduardo! Andy

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:43 pm

I think the only things on that list I've not seen in PV are Bodega Aurerra and Unefon cellular. The only cell services I've seen in PV were USACell and TelCel. It could just be that they aren't advertised as much - I'm hoping one of our locals could clarify for you.

Everything else noted is in town, with the big name stores (Sams, WalMart) in the north hotel zone/marina area. Lots of supermarket selection too (Mega, Gigante, Soriana, Guiterrez Rizo). Lots of small local tiendas spread out everywhere in the colonias and in Centro. Everything is very accessible by bus or walking, depending on where you decide to set up home base.

Lots and lots and LOTS of street food stands everywhere too (one of my favourite ways to nourish inexpensively in PV).

Are you considering a recon trip before your move? If so, hit the Centro area and just start walking. You will find so much, that's how I like to explore Vallarta.

andywww
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by andywww » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:26 pm

Thanks Jennybean. Yes, I definitely won't move without a recon first. I want to see what life there might look like, and also prospects for work (that meets my abilities, helps the economy, and doesn't take a job away from a Mexican), but that will be addressed in the Ads Forum and though my attempts to network locally while I am there.

The fact some of the big supermercados here in ACA are not in PV really isn't a problem, but it's important to have some options like that. I often prefer the small tiendas, because I can walk or ride my bike, and I like the interaction with people. And the fact I might have to pay 50 centavos more for a 2 liter jug of milk seems pretty small compared to the price of driving or a taxi.

One thing I have noticed, at least here in ACA, is often the prices in the tiendas and even sometimes OXXO are the same as the supermercados. Of course it depends on what you are buying... The only downside I have ever experienced with the tiendas is limited availability, and sometimes the milk is out of date, or not very cold, so I have to go elsewhere.

I figured there would be a lot of food stands and smaller restaurants that are inexpensive. These are the places I like to frequent, more so than the upscale locales geared to tourism. There are restaurants in ACA that are a block off the Costera (main tourist drag along the beach) where you can get a great Comida Corrida for 27 to 30 pesos plus a beer for another 10. They are fun, the food is good, and service as well. I figure there are analogous opportunities in PV.

Unefon says they have coverage in PV on the Unefon website, but their website leaves a lot to be desired....So maybe a PV local can confirm the reality for me. I have Unefon, so I am just hoping it will work there.

Again, thanks! Andy