Pharmacy

Arts, tequila, silver, souvenirs, etc. plus services: doctors, dentists, etc.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

alexander
PV Fan
PV Fan
Pharmacy

Post by alexander » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:12 am

During a couple visits to Tijuana I was able to get many things from the pharmacy without a written presecription from a doctor. Is that also true in Puerto Vallarta?

stew

Re:Pharmacy

Post by stew » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:54 pm

Well not narcotics & you do not want to even try. Over 1,500 US citizens are in Mexican prisons on drug charges at any one time. There is a horrible prison in Uruapan that house many who were arrested on the west coast. Even a drive buy it will give you nightmares.The days of walking in a farmacia & ordering what you want are basically over. Must prescription drugs require at MD'S OK. There however Md's in Mexico who will write NEEDED prescriptions at a minimal coast. I broke my Humlin 70/30 insulin bottle last winter & received a prescription from a Mexican Doctor who charged my 50 peso (about 4.50USD at the time) so it can be done. Please use common sense as the consequences can be frighting!

tojol57

Re:Pharmacy

Post by tojol57 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:13 pm

most pharmacists in Vallarta have better educations then most doctors ... and yes there are some places that will sell you just about anything and everything with out a MD's script... but that is not a wise thing to do... Stew is right, you really don't want to end up in the Mexican jail system... not a pretty sight for a gringo... But if you do have a legit ailment, go to them and they will take very good care of you... and yes you can get some meds at "lower" prices than back in the states too... but make sure you have all your docs ready for review incase you are stopped and questioned coming or going....

parrot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by parrot » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Now...I'm just curious. Certainly would not want to get into any trouble. Just wondering why a couple little drug stores in PV I saw boxes of drugs (out in the open) that would normally be prescriptions in the US...such as amoxicillin . Now, maybe they ask you for a script...I was just wondering what the deal was. :shock: Thanks.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Well, first of all, different countries....different laws. Also, as noted above, not narcotics! They still need a script. Chuck... 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:14 am

They do not ask you for a script for antibiotics and I have never been questioned in 17 years about anything I have brought back. Now if you brought enough to start a small pharmacy they might look at you as a person of interest, but what would be equivalent to personal usage they never seem to question. Narcotics require a script and I would not try to get them down there, unless I went to a doc with a Rx from my personal physician at home (solely for the purpose of getting them at a lesser price) but again trying to bring too much back might draw attention to you when you re-enter the US. There are a few drugs that require a script in Mx. that we can get over the counter here, Sudafed is one, here in the US it is sold in controlled quantities and in Mexico you need a script for it. I have noticed in the past few years the cost difference between the US and Mexico is not that much different now on alot of medications.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:12 am

Well...having some vested interest in the business (I'm a partner in a pharmacy in Winnipeg, that has 99% of our business in U.S. sales), I can say that both Canada AND Mexico have cheaper drug prices than the U.S. Some specific items may be fairly close, but by far and away, they both (CAN & MEX) come in MUCH cheaper than the U.S.

I could go on and on about why that is, and prove my point, but please...spare me the typing (cuz I really don't do it well!), and trust me on this one!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:43 am

Hey WPM,
I said the gap has closed on alot of drugs, not all. Also you have to take into consideration that the majority of us who visit PV and live in the U.S. have some type of health ins. usually with a set amount of co-pay for prescriptions. Given that fact alot of the drugs are indeed cheaper for us in the U.S. if we have ins.

The fact that we can buy certain drugs without a Rx in PV (like the antibiotics for my dog) is "sometimes" the only advantage to purchasing them there.

I agree with your statement that for the most part the drugs are less expensive in Mexico or Canada for those who do not have insurance.

That last paragraph was a direct attempt to spare you the typing. :wink: :lol:

Rincon
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Mexican drugs

Post by Rincon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:35 am

Any person of average intelligence is aware that the US drug / insurance / medical service is only designed to provide the least at the hight possible cost.
In almost any other semi-civilized country needed drugs are provided to those who need them by the pharmicists at reasonable costs with the same quality and effictiveness. Mexico is no exception, drugs are normally 25 to 40% of the US cost and typically available without a huge doctor bill to "allow" you to purchase what you need.

gatita
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by gatita » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:34 pm

I have actually gone to the pharmacy a few times and never had a problem. I have needed inhalers for my asthma, antibiotics for ear infections, and even medication to rub on itchy sunburn. I have never had a problem. Of course, I never tried to bring large amounts of these drugs back. I would think that if you need them they are cheap enough to leave there at the end of your trip. The meds are somewhat cheaper. The only problem is that unlike here in America, they ad other products such as Sulfer to their drugs. I am extremely allergic to sulfa and if I get the wrong meds I could be in some big trouble. So, I would suggest being extremely cautious and only getting what you need. :!: