variation on a salty dog

All subjects that don't fit in the previous categories, including recipes, moving to PV, off the beaten path trips, cultural and non-profit and more.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
variation on a salty dog

Post by rossk » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:48 pm

When we were last in PV, we took a "jungle" excursion that had as the highlight a stop at El Eden (which we had seen before), and included a long layover at a touristy downtown gift shop that redeemed itself only by having an open bar (to loosen your control over your wallet I'm sure) that was pouring what has become one of my and my wife's favorite drinks.

Every bar and restaurant we've inquired at in Calif has told us they haven't heard of it, so I'm assuming that it's a local creation.

Squeeze the juice of half a lime into a glass. Add a shot, or 2, of tequila, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir to dissolve the salt, and add several ounces of Squirt, which is grapefruit soda. Serve over ice. You can salt the rim of the glass first like a Margarita if you like it saltier.

I don't like too many mixed drinks as they are too sweet for me, but I can drink these all night. I'd be curious if anyone has heard of these before.

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:variation on a salty dog

Post by marcos » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:05 pm

I used to drink them in my (way) younger days when I was in the USAF. The NCO club at Bolling AFB used to make them more simply ... salt the rim of the glass, add vodka, squirt and ice and voila!

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:31 pm

R&D (Sep 14, 2004 11:48 a.m.):
When we were last in PV, we took a "jungle" excursion that had as the highlight a stop at El Eden (which we had seen before), and included a long layover at a touristy downtown gift shop that redeemed itself only by having an open bar (to loosen your control over your wallet I'm sure) that was pouring what has become one of my and my wife's favorite drinks.

I+ + +it sounds like the bus stopped at 'Jimy's Silver Shop'. . . .they do a good job of keeping the
guys glasses full of this neat drink while they tell the seniorita's about the benefits of adding
Silker Jewelry to thier collection. . . .they got my wife, but I enjoyed the drinks. . LOL

ellenl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ellenl » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:01 am

I too Have had something similiar while on a jeep safari in PV this year. This was all mixed in a plastic cup---two fingers tequila, add three fingers beer, and top it off with squirt. Was great, especially after a few straight shots of tequila. I asked for it in a local bar, and had a few looks, apparently it is also called a 69 :-)

sassy63
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sassy63 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:38 pm

the only salty dog I've ever had is made with absolute, grapefruit juice, and olives....

rossk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by rossk » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:56 pm

That sounds about right, except I thought they usually had salt in them. Like I said, it's similar, the bartenders we've talked to say that a salty dog is the closest thing to it.

Bought a different bar book a few weeks ago, and it shows our exact recipe as a salty bull.

And MrDuck, I believe you're right, it was a silver shop. If you aren't buying, like me, it's a long wait. Having a few drinks did help soften the blow ;-)