Latest Passport Talks

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

tojol57

Latest Passport Talks

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:41 pm

fresh off of MSNBC.... i really hate to say this, but Americans have to be some of the stupidest, laziest, take the easiest way out of things, instead sticking to their rules and regulations people on the face of this earth.... now there is talk of delaying the rules even longer because the State Department and Homeland Security can't do their jobs, the congress is getting heat from their voters, who didn't have their poop in a pile and ready for the changes, for the travel agencies that didn't ask "oh by the way do you have a passport for your vacation plans" ... :-X( :soapbox:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19317088?GT1=10056

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Yes there has been a lot of procrastination, but the travelers are not the only ones to blame. From today's LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... &cset=true

Passports, answers in high demand
Travelers and lawmakers are asking why officials weren't ready for the rush caused by post-9/11 regulations.
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske and Peter Pae, Times Staff Writers
June 20, 2007

Desperate to obtain their U.S. passports, world travelers have been flying to Seattle, where the passport office is considered one of the nation's most efficient. But even there, more than 110,000 backlogged applications are piled in closets, the supervisor's office and the break room.

Many won't be touched for months. Half of the staff is trying to help the crowds jamming the lobby and spilling out the door.

How did it get this bad?

Federal officials in Washington acknowledge that they failed to anticipate just how much the post-Sept. 11 travel regulations would fuel demand for passports; did not hire enough workers to handle the increase; and neglected to notice or react to signs early this spring of a burgeoning problem.

The State Department estimates that the number of Americans seeking passports this year will reach 17.5 million, up from 12 million in 2005 — the result of new rules requiring such documentation for air travelers returning from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Applicants' average wait time has swelled from six weeks to 12 weeks or more.

For nearly two years, federal officials knew the revised rules were coming, along with a crush of applications. And Tuesday, during a packed subcommittee hearing on the passport backlog, senators assailed Maura Harty, assistant secretary of State for consular affairs.

"We want to know who is accountable, why this mess happened," said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), the panel's chairman, who spent Monday with irate travelers in Tampa.

Acknowledging the department's miscalculation, Harty said that employees had been swamped by "a record-setting demand in a compressed period of time."

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Passports

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:34 pm

Ted is right...the government has more than an equal proportion of the blame in this for not preparing for the onslaught.

When you have a population of 300 million and almost 70 percent of them don't have passports, you have to wonder what MENSA candidates on Capitol Hill thought "meh, we'll be fine...what's the worst that could happen?"

At this point the only travelers I consider at fault are those applying now and NOT heeding the advice to expedite if they are traveling within the next 4-6 months. Those people might as well be clubbed in the head with a clue by four and told to go home, they aren't allowed to travel until they grow a brain. LOL

tojol57

And the saga continues

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:22 pm

Can you believe this... and now they have extended until JUNE 2008... it is like why even try to secure the borders, why even put a law together without checking the numbers... didn't anybody at the GAO print out all the active passport numbers, get that figure put together, and look at it and say hmmmmmmmmmmmm we have only this many people with active passports, and 300 million in population... HOLY TRAVELLER bat dude... we screwed up... DUH... obviously somebody from MIT couldn't put a formula together to calculate the fall out on this, or there was a "blonde" in the house (sorry blonde's everywhere) or maybe Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie were going to take care of it during one of their reality show segments... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

oh well... i guess we will have to get the "clue by four's" out and start beating them down like a ________ (blank) i will let you fill in the blank...

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:13 am

posted by Toronto Rik

a letter by An Irate Citizen
Dear Government,
Re: Passports

I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and still cannot believe this. How is it that Radio Shack has my address and telephone number and knows that I bought a t.v. cable from them back in 1997, and yet the Federal Government is still asking me where I was born and on what date.
For crying out loud, do you guys do this by hand? My birth date you have on my social insurance card, is on all the income tax forms I've filed for the past 30 years, my health insurance card, my driver's license, on the last eight bloody passports I've had, on all those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out before being allowed off the planes over the last 30 years, and all those insufferable census forms that are done at election times.
Would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my mother's name is Maryanne, my father's name is Robert and I'd be absolutely astounded if that ever changed between now and when I die!
I apologize, Mr. Minister. I'm really pissed off this morning. Between you an' me, I've had enough! You send the application to my house, then you ask me for my address. What is going on? You have a gang of Neanderthals workin' there?!
Look at my damn picture. Do I look like Bin Laden? I don't want to dig up Yasser Araft, for crying out loud. I just want to go and park my butt on a sandy beach. And would someone please tell me, why would you give a s*** whether I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days?! If I ever got the urge to do something weird to a chicken or a goat, believe you me, I'd sure as hell not want to tell anyone!
Well, I have to go now, 'cause I have to go to the other end of the city and get another copy of my birth certificate, to the tune of $60! Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot to assist in the issuance of a new passport the same day?? Nooooo, that'd be too easy and maybe make sense.
You'd rather have us running all over the place like chickens with our heads cut off, then find some asshole to confirm that it's really me on the stupid picture - you know, the one where we're not allowed to smile?! Hey, you know why we can't smile?
We're ticked off!

Signed - An Irate Citizen

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:06 pm

DELETED

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:31 pm

i don't think i could have said it better ... that letter by Toronto Rik was just hilarious... rip em buddy rip em up...

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:12 am

Tyler and I got our passports over a month ago we had everything in order thanks to my parents telling us everything that had to be in order. We went right to the office in winnipeg and we were there for almost 2 hours and received it in the mail within about 3 weeks. When there I said to the lady we were dealing with you guys are still pretty busy and her reply was no this is quiet, in the high season (jan-april) if you were not there at the office doors by 6am (they dont open till 9am) you would not be seen that day.Now thats crazy.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Procrastination

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:39 am

I still think the biggest problem has come because everyone put it off until the last minute. I mean jeeze, it is not like we haven't know for almost a year that these requirements were being put into effect. I applied for my passport last July for my trip in Oct. even though I knew I would not need it then. I just wanted to get it and get it over with. So why is it all of these people waited until a month or two before they wanted to travel and then applied? It does not take a whole lot of brain power to figure out when they said passports were going to be required in Jan. It isn't real hard to figure out when you know that every man, woman and child that wants to leave the U.S. and re-enter had to apply for a passport that things are going to get really busy.

So everyone waited until Jan or after to apply and wham....what did people think was going to happen? Kind of like the L.A. traffic at 5:00 p.m., let everyone get off work and head for the freeway home and the same thing happens, one giant traffic jam....so we have a giant passport jam. Do I think the Govt. should have planned and hired more people, etc. Yes, but the people who waited for the very last possible day to apply also added to the problem.

I still say when they make them mandatory by a certain date again, we will have the same problem, because everyone now is saying, "Oh I can wait awhile because I am not going till Oct. or Nov". They are going to be the ones crying just like the people are now.

It seems to be human nature to put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do or pay for today.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:18 am

I agree with Katnsocal. It is human nature not to do things that you do not need to do RIGHT NOW. Vicki and I have held passports since 1984 and the present ones are good through our annual October visit to PV 2015. Believe me that when they are up for renewal in March of 2016, they will have been sent in early.

Every year when we are planning the Oct trip, I have the Airline tickets in hand and paid for a good 6+ months in advance. Never disappointed by waiting to the last minute and finding what we want gone.

tojol57

human nature

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Well these humans better get with it, or nature will catch up with them... and nature is going to swallow them up... i think if they have not filed for their passports by dec 31st 2007 to have it in time to meet the 2008 mandate, they should be banned from international travel and their rights to apply for another passport suspended for a year or longer... it is like hello people.. human nature to put off is just a sign on how our society has progressed BACKWARDS... we have become so over conscious of offending people... we don't want to offend middle eastern countries, we don't want to offend the orient, etc etc etc with any kind of profiling or statistical data gathering... oh well... to those of you that are not organized and don't have your pass port application in by June 2008.... do me a favor... STAY HOME.... :-X( :soapbox: and don't come complaining that you didn't have time, or ran out of time, or forgot... DUH... you don't deserve the right to travel outside the country... if you wait that long... my apologies to you that have been frequent members of this board... but this stuff has really gotten to me, and some of the young people that live around our building are of the mental attitude what is the big deal.... youth of today... YIKES... V-| :soapbox: :-X( :-|3 |:-|