Taxis......

Travel to and from: airfares, cruises, etc. + local transport: taxi, bus, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

rosatia

Taxis......

Post by rosatia » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:55 am

We re coming into PV ina couple of days and would like to know how safe the taxis are, whether they are metered and how much we might expect to pay from the airport to Old Town....thanks

mrmike9

Re:Taxis......

Post by mrmike9 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:42 am

The taxis in PV are not metered. They base their fares on a zone system. There are two kinds of cabs in PV: the white airport cabs and the regular yellow city cabs. The airport cabs are the only ones allowed to pick up passengers at the airport. They also charge a lot more money. You can expect to pay about $16.00 US to take an airport cab from the airport to old town. The good news is that you can take a regular yellow city cab back to the airport for about half the price ($8.00 US). There is a pedestrian bridge from the airport accross the highway (which is off of airport property) where you can catch a regular yellow city cab but I've noticed in my past few trips that yellow city cabs are charging almost as much as the airport cabs to pick up passengers from that area, so it's really not worth it to haul your luggage up and down the stairs.. My advice is to go ahead and pay for the airport cab especially if you have lots of luggage and take a regular yellow city cab back to the airport. I've never had a problem with any of the cab drivers in PV. Most have been very courteous. Just make sure you agree on the fare before you get in.

canucker
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by canucker » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:56 pm

Is it worth the savings to have to carry your luggage across the way? Even paying full Airport Taxi fare, it's still reasonable in relation to taxis here at home and it's usually only one trip. I doubt anyone is as selective when using a cab any time else. When my plane lands, I just want to get where I'm going and don't worry about saving a couple of bucks on a taxi.

clinta74

Post by clinta74 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:49 pm

If going to Old town or a smaller hotel, have an address and maybe map ready. I have had a couple times when the airport cabbies did not know where the hotel was. Also check at the cab desk inside the airport for what the fare will be, as we have been told one price just to be quoted a higher price once we were outside.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:28 pm

At the airport you should pay at the taxi window where they will give you a receipt to give to the driver. Also, if you are not traveling with a large party, ask for a single cab and not a van, as the vans load up with as many customers as they can and stop at several hotels.