Tequila!!

Tips or questions on bars, clubs, discos, etc.

Moderators: admin, Moderators

shawn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Tequila!!

Post by shawn » Thu Jun 14, 2001 4:18 pm

Whilst im not a huge fan of Tequila i wanna try lots of different brands so i can buy a few bottles as presents, i can imagine there quite a few available in PV (or am i wrong?) and I aim to try most of them but can anyone give me a guide on which ones to avoid (ie the ones which may turn me blind!!)? and which ones they reckon are the best (ie ones you can drink quite a few of before passing out!)

Jennybean

Re:Tequila!!

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:47 pm

There is a tequila tour that runs out to one of the Cuervo agave plantations just outside PV.....if you want to sample small amounts of a lot of tequila, this is the way to go.

My personal favorite tequila is El Jimador, which if you can actually find an importer who carries it here in Canada, costs a small fortune.....but it's sure good!

sirena_pam
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sirena_pam » Thu Jun 14, 2001 7:04 pm

Shawny, the best Tequila is the one made 100% agave. So, that's the pure and exquisite tequila. If you're looking for quality, buy "Cazadores" or "Don Julio"...but they're a little expensive.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some tequila info

Post by webmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2001 8:11 pm

Hi there PV and Tequila Fans,

After some time in Mexico you unavoidably end up learning a bit about Tequila, the beneficial and not so beneficial effects of its consumption...

Anyway, it's true, if you want to avoid the equivalent of Bud beer (watery, tasteless and bad :-) or as the Aussies say: Like making love in a canoe = f***ing close to water, no flame mail, try a Carlsberg first then flame me!) in tequilas, go for the 100% Blue Agave tequilas (100% Agave Azul). These will, of course, be noticeable due to the higher price.

Secondly there are a few different varieties within the tequilas regarding aging and therefore taste, there are four recognized levels, from very little (or none) to three years aging:

Blanco (White) - No time in wooden casks
Joven (Young) or Oro (Gold): Mix of White and Reposado tequilas.
Reposado (Aged) - 2 months to 11,99 months in wooden oak casks.
Añejo - at least 1 year aged in oak wood casks.

Now, regarding what is best among these is a matter of taste (really?! no sheet :-)), I always drink reposado, it has the mid-point between the agave taste, that is easily destinguishable in Blancos and the wood (oak) taste of the Añejo. Most añejos
are so aged that they end up tasting like brandy or whisky... so what's the fun in that (I don't like whisky...)!

Anyway, it'll be up to you to drink and find out what you like. I can recommend of the more easily found reposado tequilas: 7 Leguas, Don Julio, Herradura, Sauza Conmemorativo, Sauza 3 Generaciones, Centenario, there's one called something like
Viuda de ...., I remember was good too and obviously Tequila 0.720 ;-).

No lemon and salt is needed to drink the quality tequilas, that's only for the bad tequilas when you need help getting the damn thing down! A good tequila is smooth and goes down the hatch without any suffering (unless you drink too much and even there, the very good ones don't have noticeable aftereffects). Normally the poor non-Mexicans living outside Mexico are only treated to the lowest of tequilas, low quality blancos and horrible stuff like Cuervo... taxes, greed, legal impediments, etc., all are guilty factors contributing to this). Have fun, drink many different tequila's, enjoy the variety, but take care in the amounts, for your sake and all those around you ;-).

Kind regards

Mogens
PV Site Admin

PD: Visit our company Tequila web site, you can get some recipes for your bad tequilas (have you seen a nicer bottle?) The tequila's outstanding, but for 80 dollars what can you
expect... http://www.tequila0720.com/

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:15 pm

Okay, found it. Took me a few minutes to remember where it was:

http://www.mexonline.com/tequilatour.htm

Tour is hour and a half long with tastings of over 100 tequilas, learn about mariachi and mariachi instruments, sample fresh tortillas, learn about Mexican charros, and more. Located in El Pitillal, just outside PV.

Oh yeah.....and you also learn about mezcal and my favorite - raicilla!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:Tequila Tour

Post by webmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:44 pm

The link was on on the PV Links section, it's easier to remember:

http://www.tequilatour.com/

Kind regards

Mogens

shawn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by shawn » Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:23 am

What is raicilla? anyway have you tried eating that Mezcal worm or is that a gimmik us tourists fall for. If you have has there been any interesting effects (apart from being sick!), pretty colours? acendence to higher plaines?!! I wanna try em.

shawn
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by shawn » Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:23 am

What is raicilla? anyway have you tried eating that Mezcal worm or is that a gimmik us tourists fall for. If you have has there been any interesting effects (apart from being sick!), pretty colours? acendence to higher plaines?!! I wanna try em.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:57 pm

Raicilla (pronounced "Rayseea" with "L"s silent) is the oldest distilled liquor known to man. "Mexican moonshine" might be a better term! The first couple of sips are a little harsh if you're not used to it, but after that it's quite tasty - but be forewarned, it's very powerful stuff.
E-mail me direct for more info, and I can direct you to a story about the making of raicilla.

Ate the worm once from a bottle of mezcal, and I think all it did was get me drunker, no hallucinations.....at least not that I can remember anyway!

(BTW thanks Mogens for that shorter link)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tequila, Mezcal & Raicilla

Post by webmaster » Fri Jun 15, 2001 3:22 pm

Hi there again,

Found some info on Raicilla on JR's site (who BTW still hates my guts..., he won't either appreciate me sending traffic to his site :-)) the link is the following:

-www.vallarta-info.com/puertovallartafactsfables.htm

BTW, from what I know the mezcal worm has a larger concentration of mescaline a rat poison, it kills rats (and other critters) in large concentrations, otherwise it "just" creates hallucinations, I imagine if you've drunk the whole bottle of mezcal to get to the bug you won't really notice a slightly higher concentration of mescaline anyway... but that's the info I have. Supposedly the worm is to prove the drink is good, it would otherwise desintegrate (yuk...).

Regards

Mogens
Last edited by webmaster on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mezcal and the worm!!!!

Post by webmaster » Fri Jun 15, 2001 3:29 pm

Hey guys,

See what I found on a Mezcal web site, what do you think?:

In 1940 Jacobo Lozano Páez moved to Mexico City from Parras, Coahuila, Mexico to study painting in the National School of Arts of San Carlos. He got a job at the historic liquor store "La Minita" affiliated with "La Economica" in downtown Mexico City . This experience changed his artistic aspirations to those of a successful bottler and trader of mezcal, an activity initiated in the same liquor store. Jacobo met his future wife working there. In 1942 he started a small bottling facility and entrusted into it his wife's hands. They collected used bottles and cleaned them for their operation. The couple bought mezcal from the Méndez family in Matatlan, Oaxaca.

In 1950 the then inexperienced entrepreneur, now owner of Atlántida, S.A., a small alcoholic beverage bottling company located downtown, and a (self-proclaimed) connoisseur of the mezcal's production process (?) discovered in tasting, that the maguey (agave) worms gave the mezcal a different flavor, since when the plant was cut for cooking a lot of these creatures remained in the heart during production (a bad choice of plagued magueys).

THIS is how he got the idea to give his product a distinctive marketing touch; adding a worm to the beverage and including with the bottle a small sack with salt, seasoned with the same larva, dehydrated and ground. Ultimately these ingredients determined the identification of the mezcals "Gusano de Oro" and "Gusano Rojo."

The worm story is found in: Carmen Valle Septien, Editor, "MEZCAL, elixir de larga vida" - CVS, Publicaciones, S.A. de C.V, 1997

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri Jun 15, 2001 4:31 pm

Yup, that's the story I was talking about....

And I was at the bottom of the mezcal bottle when I split the worm with a friend, and you're right, you don't notice a difference (at least that's what I imagine......blackouts began shortly afterward LOL) Won't be rushing to drink it again anytime soon!

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Mogens

Post by howard_jax » Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:20 pm

You might want to include this site. All about Tequila

http://www.tequilafancy.com/reviews/

sirena_pam
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sirena_pam » Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:42 pm