Travel Questions

Money Matters

Location, Time & Weather

Shopping & Communications

Food, Health & Safety

Beaches & Sports

General Information

New and growing FAQs Section

What can I use as proof of citizenship to enter Mexico?

PassportIn general, to enter Mexico you need to obtain a Tourist Card (FMM).

To get your Tourist Card you will need to prove citizenship, and now passports are the only accepted form of ID for travel by air (read more details in the passports section).

A photo ID is very helpful when in town, so you don’t need to move around with your valuable passport. A passport can serve as proof of citizenship and photo ID.

Airlines will furnish the Tourist Card. Be sure to save the FMM, as you must present this document when leaving Mexico.

Things have changed lately so be sure to consult the latest rules regarding foreign travel and documentation, more information.

What is that green/white receipt I kept when entering Mexico?

FMMThe green and white (FMM – Forma Migratoria Múltiple) piece of paper you are given when you enter the country is your Tourist Card, and it’s very important that you don’t lose it.

You can get another, but the process is a pain, and you’ll spend too much of your vacation in government offices and line-ups.

Keep it in a safe place until you leave, along with your passport and other documentation, preferably a hotel security box.

If you can’t find it on the way out you might be fined (more details in the passport & visas section).

I was wondering what the customs at the airport in Puerto Vallarta are like when arriving (will I be searched?).

airportUpon arrival at the International Puerto Vallarta airport you are asked to push a button that will determine if you’re luggage will be searched or not, if you get a green light you go and if you get a red light you are searched, this system is totally random. This process will soon be eliminated, there’s mention of the end of 2018 or 2019 for that to be implemented.

Please check at the Mexican consulate in your city for necessary documents to come to Mexico.

Read about duty-free quotas in our customs section.

^ top

What is the airport departure tax?

The international airport departure tax is more or less $80 US Dollars and is generally included in your airline ticket price, this is always the case for tickets from USA and Canada.

Check with your local airline or travel agent for updated information.

Currently, tax is paid separately for charter flights from the UK, so do take this into account when calculating the total fare price.

^ top

Will I be able to use my credit cards? Can I get cash from the banks with my credit cards?

credit cards vallartaYes, to both questions.

All major credit cards (except Discover) are widely accepted.

If you are to eat in a restaurant, it is best to ask before ordering, not every business in town accepts credit cards, just as back home.

All of the banks will give cash advances, most have ATM machines at their locations, for after-hours cash.

If you lose a credit card call one of the numbers listed in Banks and currency section.

^ top

What is Puerto Vallarta’s time zone?

time in vallartaPuerto Vallarta is located in Central Standard Time year-round.

Use this map to figure the time difference Timezone Map

or use our what is the current time in Puerto Vallarta section.

^ top

Currency and money matters…

Money-pesosThe peso is Mexico’s official currency, but almost all purchases in town can be paid in US dollars.

Dollars are accepted almost everywhere in Puerto Vallarta, however large bills (Franklins, etc.) can be difficult to break and can cause you hassles. We recommend you bring plenty of $1’s, $5’s, and $10’s.

If you go on an adventure way out of the main tourist areas, it will be best that you bring enough pesos along.

Before traveling to Puerto Vallarta it’s a good idea that you exchange 30 -40 dollars so you have change for the taxi, tips, etc., upon arrival, though all will accept dollars too, the rate they’ll give will not be the best.

Read more and get the exchange rates on our Puerto Vallarta Mexico Currency section.

^ top

What about tipping and taxes?

10 pesosYour waiter will only bring you your check when you request it.

Tips range from 10% to 20% of the total bill. A 15% IVA (VAT) tax is applied to all products and services.

Take care, some restaurants include a service fee in the bill, this is not legal and you can dispute it.

Read many comments and ideas regarding tipping on the Vallarta Forum.

^ top

What will the weather be like in Puerto Vallarta?

weawther in vallartaNobody can predict the weather. We have an Average Temperature Chart on our Puerto Vallarta Weather section page.

You can use online services to get an idea and if you want confirmation, you can call your hotel a few days before your arrival to make sure.

Finally but most importantly, visit our real-time webcam and get a view of the weather conditions this very moment, sure beats guessing and calling around! :-)

^ top

Beach I’m trying to get a good idea of the weather conditions. We’d like to avoid the hurricane season.

There is no hurricane season in the Puerto Vallarta area. The best time to come is winter, from October to May.

During the summer, from June to September, we have our rainy season, but you still get lots of sunny days, lots of people still come down and have a great time, plus you get much better prices in the low season.

Tropical rains are also fun, sometimes we have a beautiful day and then it starts raining hard for a couple of hours, mostly it rains at night for a few hours.

Visit our real-time Puerto Vallarta webcam and get a view of the weather conditions this very moment.

^ top

Can I buy Cuban cigars? Can I take them back with me?

Yes, you can buy them, and yes, they are expensive. No, you cannot take them back to the U.S., but if you are returning to Canada it is OK. Be careful of counterfeits. More info.

^ top

Postal services, stamps, and snail-mail?

Stamps can usually be purchased at the same time as postcards. They are also available from the post-office (Oficina de Correos). Open Monday to Friday: 8am – 3pm, Sat: 9am – 1pm. A stamp for a postcard is currently $11.50 pesos and takes approximately 2 weeks to arrive at its destination (sometimes more…).

The most recent governments have been investing a bit more in the postal service so it is improving, but it still is very slow and the service is patchy. Where is the post office? Look it up in the Government Office section or check at Correos de México.

^ top

Where and how can I make International phone calls?

International telephone calls from Mexico can be very expensive, it is better to use your own national phone credit card service (ask for Ladatel phone cards, they come in different denominations, 30 – 50 and 100 pesos) or simply call collect.

The best option to date: use Skype.

We advise not to use the telephones on the street offering international dial-ups. You may be charged a connection fee if you use your phone card from your hotel room. To dial directly to the United States or Canada you dial 001, the area code, then the local number.

Long-distance calls to other parts of the world are preceded by 00 and then the country code, city code, and the corresponding telephone number.

Important Phone Numbers

^ top

What is IVA?

I.V.A. (Impuesto al valor agregado), is Mexico’s value-added tax (VAT), it is 16% in the state of Jalisco and you will notice it added on all your bills, many items that you wish you purchase will have a notice “IVA incluido” (tax included) or “+ I.V.A.”(tax not included in the total price).

^ top

Can I drink the water?

For over 15 years Puerto Vallarta’s water has been certified for human consumption – one of the few places in Mexico to receive this honor, but that doesn’t mean you should necessarily drink it. It means it’s safe when it leaves the water treatment plant, but after going through the water pipes, what comes out the other end may not be!

Stick to purified water, which is now served in all restaurants, hotels, and bars throughout Vallarta, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. In most hotels, you’ll receive a couple of complimentary water bottles, either in the bathroom or in the refrigerator.

In most hotels and restaurants, you will get purified water when opening the tap, if in doubt – ask: (Agua purificada?). Buy bottled water; why not be completely safe?

Read our forum topic on Puerto Vallarta Water

^ top

Will my cell phone work in Mexico?

There is a local cellular service. Very few cellular services will allow you to roam in Mexico. Most cellphones from USA and Canada can be reprogrammed for local use in Mexico unless they are SIM-locked. Visit a TELCEL or IUSACELL office to find out and check out the rates. When you dial cellphones in Vallarta, add the prefix 322 and then the 7 digits of the number. If you are calling a landline, skip the 322.
(Main local cellphone companies: TelcelIusacellMovistar).

^ top

Can I use my laptop computer to get my e-mail and have Internet access?

You can bring your laptop computer, iPhone, iPad and similar electronic devices, Puerto Vallarta now offers a growing number of free hotspots, the Malecon itself offers free WI-FI too and so do most hotels. We’ve made a list of public Wi-Fi locations in town that you’ll find useful too. If you are going to stay at a hotel, make sure they offer WI-FI connections, most are free, but some offer it for a surcharge fee. There are quite a few Cyber Cafes in PV if you don’t want to bring along your equipment. Bringing a laptop computer into Mexico is a legal and accepted practice, no hassles with Aduana (Customs).

^ top

Can we get married in Puerto Vallarta?

Most definitely, this is one of the most romantic spots on Earth and many people get married here. It will be almost impossible unless you hire someone who, speaks the language, understands the legal requirements and procedures.

You do not want to spend all of your time in PV running around, tied up in the bureaucracy (that can be art here in Mexico), getting all of the necessary documents and permits.

^ top

Is it safe to walk around the town at night? Is Puerto Vallarta Safe?

Yes, definitely. You will feel much safer in most parts of Puerto Vallarta than in the United States or Canada. There is very little crime here, and what does exist is usually petty compared to the U.S. Based on 2013 data from the Tourism Board, Puerto Vallarta was visited by 3.9 million tourists, up 5% from the 3.7 million visitors in 2012. Read more about safety and violence.

The tourist police here are friendly and very helpful.

Use your common sense, and be careful. Leave your fancy jewelry at home, etc. After dark, stay on the main streets, do not wander on the beaches unless you are in well-lit areas or close or together with other tourists.

Never flash large amounts of money, etc, the common sense stuff :-)

Lately, there’s been a lot of talk about the drug “war” in Mexico, we find it important to emphasize that the issue is fundamentally linked to USA-Mexico border towns and is an issue far from important in Puerto Vallarta and surroundings.

^ top

Can you tell me what the taxi rates are, what are the rates? Uber?

Just what should your fare cost you? Good question, and one even locals are not sure of until we ask.

In most cases, the taxi driver will give you the correct fare.

However, ask before getting in the cab and not at the end of the trip when it’s a little more difficult to negotiate.

You may also want to ask the people at your hotel what it should cost to go to your destination; they should be well aware of the rates.

Normally your hotel concierge or the front desk will know the rates, sometimes you’ll find them written somewhere near the door too.

Most taxis should have a taximeter so guessing should not be necessary. Read more about moving around in town.

Regarding Uber, I prefer using this service in town.

Be aware that there are conflicts between the established taxis and the newcomers, so do not make it obvious you are an Uber user and do not request service from Federal parts in town, for example, the Airport or the harbor / cruises ship terminal.

Reserve your taxi in Puerto Vallarta.

^ top

What about local – national buses?

Traveling by bus in Mexico is inexpensive, educational and fun. To go anywhere in town costs 6.5 pesos ($0.50 dollars US). The bus terminal is on Olas Altas at Plaza Lázaro Cárdenas, near Los Muertos Beach.

Buses leave from around the square to go north to downtown the Hotel Zone, Marina Vallarta and the airport, and south to Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlán. Stops are marked by a dark blue sign with a bus outlined in white. Parada means Stop.

Buses here are privately owned, and some look a bit funky. But they do get you where you want to go and you are woven into the Mexican fabric as you journey. Don’t be surprised if an entertainer leaps on board to belt out a song about lost love and overdue rent. Mexicans tend to tip a few pesos whether the entertainment is Vegas caliber or not. And, if you’re really lucky, you can do some gum, chocolate or garlic shopping on the route. Read more in our Taxi-Public Transport section.

Interstate Buses or longer distances check our updated Bus Section for more info.

^ top

What is the distance by car to…?

Check our distance table to find out how far it is by land to some important destinations in Mexico and USA.

^ top

How will I know if I am getting a good deal on merchandise?

This is one question that nobody but you can answer. A good rule of thumb is, with street or beach vendors, always get at least a 30% discount, sometimes more. In most stores, the prices are fixed, just as they are at home.

If you are making large purchases or if there are several people in your party that is buying something, you can always ask for a discount. If you’re happy with the quality and price of an item, then you are getting a good deal. Pretty simple really.

Check out the Puerto Vallarta shopping section.

^ top

Mexican pottery, is it any good, where can I get some good quality handcrafts?

Because Mexico has so much to offer in the way of variety, quality and good prices, shopping has become one of the highlights of a visit to Puerto Vallarta. Read more in our Handcrafts in Puerto Vallarta section.

^ top

What about hospitals and doctors?

Hospital in VallartaReview our detailed Puerto Vallarta Hospitals section and the Puerto Vallarta Health section too.

There are some very competent doctors in town. Many speak English. Check with your hotel for the name of an English-speaking doctor, write the phone number down and carry it with you.

If there is any doubt in your mind about a doctor, procedure or medication, check with your doctor at home, if possible. Medical service here is just as sophisticated as in the U.S. or Canada.

^ top

Are beaches private or public? Are the beaches safe?

Vallarta BeachFirst question: All beaches in Mexico (yes, this includes Puerto Vallarta’s beaches) are public property, and are open to everyone. Even the beaches in front of the hotels. While most hotels usually don’t have a problem with visitors walking through their grounds to get to the beach, it’s a good idea to be more careful about crossing over private property to get to some of the other beaches around the bay.

Second question: Generally, yes. As anywhere there are a few places to beware of. Remember, there are few lifeguards here. During the summer there can be large swells, even in this protected bay. Be careful and buddy up, swim with a friend. Always tell other people where you are going to swim and your expected return time!

More beach info here>>

^ top

Is Playa Los Muertos (other Vallarta beaches) fit to swim in?

The beaches are clean in P.V. the local authorities and some local associations make sure to keep them clean, water is just perfect for swimming and you will enjoy sun tanning. If you by chance see foam on the water, this is a natural process and not a pollution problem.

^ top

I was wondering if there are any nude beaches in PV?

No, there are no nude beaches. Don’t think about starting one either… :-) Please remember you are in a Catholic country and nudity and semi-nudity in public are not only frowned upon but it is also illegal. Please respect the local customs, and avoid problems with the local authorities.

^ top

We are very interested in extreme sports, in particular, bungee jumping is there anything like that?

From what we know the bungee jump location south of Vallarta, on the way to Mismaloya, is open. It is a beautiful jump, into the emerald waters, scary, very scary, yes, but if you’re to do it, what better place…

Read this on mountain biking, Skydiving, scuba diving and other activities and sports.

^ top

When does the ferry leave for Cabo San Lucas?

There used to be a ferry service from Vallarta to the Baja but it has been discontinued. There is a ferry that goes from Mazatlán to La Paz visit their website.

^ top

Any Golf course information?

Visit our Puerto Vallarta Golf section. Reserve tee times on our tour section

^ top

I’ll be staying in Nuevo Vallarta how much does it cost to get into Puerto Vallarta from there? Does it take long?

Nuevo Vallarta area is far from downtown P.V., you have taxis and public transportation available right in front of the hotels. The ride by bus is about 45 minutes and buses run every 30 minutes or so, a one-way ticket is around two dollars. Taxis take a little less time, around 20 minutes, and are about 20 US dollars one way.

^ top

I want to bring my children with me, but safety is always my top concern. Is there anything for kids to do in Puerto Vallarta.

Puerto Vallarta is very safe, you won’t have problems bringing your children. Mexican people adore children and they will go out of their way to make you feel welcome (for example, in restaurants).

Beaches are safe and endlessly entertainment for kids. There’s now a zoo too and lots of boat excursions that are safe for kids, also we have many tours kids like and you can swim with dolphins in the Nuevo Vallarta area, you’ll also find a few water parks for some aquatic fun, you can find out about the prices and booking information in your hotels travel agency.

We are sure you will love it and enjoy it. Check out the “What to do section” on this site. Check our forum for a few more ideas of what to do with your kids in Puerto Vallarta.

^ top

Any information about the Banderas Bay area?

Puerto Vallarta is at the center of one of the world’s largest bays – the “Bahía de Banderas”, or “Bay of Flags”. The giant horseshoe-shaped Bay has over 40 miles of coast along its circumference and measures about 20 miles from land’s center to the open ocean and about 25 miles across, with depths of up to 2 miles.

The depth and calmness of the Bay afford the perfect location for some of the best snorkelling and fishing in the world. In addition, from December to April of each year, the bay is full of dolphins, sea turtles, giant manta rays with “wingspans” ranging from 16 to 30 feet, and gray and humpback whales who come to visit the Bay during the winter months. Member of The most beautiful bays in the World Club.

^ top

Are there any campgrounds in the Puerto Vallarta area?

Check out our RV & camping section

Contact our tour representatives, reservations@puertovallarta.net

^ top

How can I get to Puerto Vallarta by sea?

Arriving by sea, Princess Cruises, Cunard Cruise Line Ltd, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, Holland American line among others, all serve Puerto Vallarta from various destinations. Check out our Cruise ship and cruise line section.

^ top

Are there dress codes, and how late will I be staying out?

The dress code is casual, some clubs do not accept sandals, tank tops or shorts, but in general, is casual. You can stay up as late as 6:00 AM in some bars at the Malecon and most of the discos. More info on What to wear in the Weather section.

^ top

Common misspellings of Puerto Vallarta

Though many people are finally learning how to write Puerto Vallarta correctly some of the most common errors writing our destination name are: puerta vallarta, puerto vallarta, puerto viarta, puerto vallerta, puerto villarta, porta vallarta, purto vallarta, porto vallarta, port a viarta and many other ingenious variations and permutations.

We recommend you use “puerto vallarta” (between quotes) when searching online, this will give you much better search results. If you use another variation, send it to us and we’ll include it on the list :-)

^ top

TOURIST INFORMATION

Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board & CVB
Local 18 Planta Baja
Zona Comercial Continental Plaza
Puerto Vallarta, Jal.;
C.P. 48310
Telephone: +52 (322) 2241175 Fax: +52 (322) 2240915
http://www.visitpuertovallarta.com

To order brochures or receive additional information please call: 1-800-44-MEXICO

Any question not answered here, do not doubt in asking us directly at:
webmasterpv@puertovallarta.net

^ top

Are there any Non Profit Organizations in Puerto Vallarta?

There are plenty, you can check our list of Non-Profit Organizations in Puerto Vallarta.

puerto vallarta quetions and answers

^ top

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The first formal hotel in Puerto Vallarta was the Hotel Gutiérrez, initially located on the second floor of the Saucedo Theater on Juarez Avenue in downtown Puerto Vallarta, you can still find the original building on the corner of Juarez and Iturbide.

Hotel Gutiérrez was later on moved to an independent building that had been the harbor master’s office and later changed its name to Hotel Océano between the Malecon and Morelos along Galeana Street (by the “lighthouse”).

This is the list of the first hotels in Puerto Vallarta:

• Hotel Gutiérrez (Teatro Saucedo) 1939
  • Hotel Gutiérrez (Galeana & the Malecon) 1940
  • Hotel Rosita, 1945
  • Hotel Chula Vista, 1946

Above photo: Hotel Océano, formerly Hotel Gutiérrez

Mrs. Catalina Montes de Oca Contreras, the first city historian, recounts:

Continuing with my narrations on the development of the hotel business, I will mention in this branch the house of assistance of Doña Cuca Novoa, which was the only one that the port had; it was located where today is the Central Hotel.

Years later, Doña Eloisita, mother of Güero and José Manuel Preciado, came from Mascota and took over the same business because Doña Cuca was leaving here. This was around 1934. Doña Eloisita had her house of assistance for many years and her meals were famous, with the authentic homemade flavor and she charged $1.00 peso for three meals!

The port had these accommodations until 1939, when Don Manuel Gutiérrez Santana started the first small, but more comfortable hotel (Hotel Gutiérrez), which he set up on the top floor of the Saucedo Theater. It was there that the few traveling agents who came to work in the plaza began to stay. There were seven rooms and they did not have private bathrooms, but had three bathrooms for the entire service.

Later, in 1940, the hotel was moved to where the Hotel Océano was located [on the corner of Galeana and the Malecón]. The harbor master was formerly located there.  Don Manuel, for the inauguration, organized a big dance. The new hotel was called Hotel Gutiérrez and it was the place where all the drivers and passengers of the bus lines arrived.

With this idea in mind, the Hotel Rosita owned by Don Salvador Gonzalez, was founded. It began in 1945.

Later in 1946, it was the Hotel Chula Vista, also owned by Don Manuel Gutierrez.

The old house of assistance of doña Eloisita became the Hotel Central and changed ownership.

“Puerto Vallarta de mis recuerdos”. 2018. Catalina Montes de Oca Contreras. Prometeo Editores, S.A. de C.V.

Last Updated on 27/07/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Puerto Vallarta’s Airport (PVR) is located north of downtown Puerto Vallarta a few minutes away from Marina Vallarta.

If you drive into the heart of the city, the main square, right by the Malecón, the distance is 5.5 miles (8.9 km), some 25 minutes if you drive straight there along Francisco Medina Ascencio Boulevard.

If you take the so-called libramiento, the bypass, the distance is 6.2 miles (10 km) and takes around 30 minutes.

The time it takes will, of course, vary depending on the time of day.

Last Updated on 30/06/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Puerto Vallarta and Cancun are two of the most popular destinations in Mexico. Though Puerto Vallarta has existed for more time, Cancun is a destination that gets more promotion and is better connected to the countries that are north of Mexico.

They are located on each side of Mexico, so visiting both is not really a viable option, so you will have to choose one of the other. Which one will depend in part on what you enjoy the most and what you expect from your trip. The main elements to consider when you travel are, for example, distance (flight time), cost, activities, safety and culture, let’s see if we can clear up these factors one by one.

Flight Time

Puerto Vallarta is closer to the Western States and Provinces in USA and Canada, this will make travel time shorter. Cancun is closer to Europe and this makes it more attractive to visitors from this part of the world, but because there are some direct flights and the longer flight time in general, the extra distance does not make much difference for Europeans.

Cost

When deciding between Cancun and Puerto Vallarta based solely on price, Puerto Vallarta wins. The cities on the Mexican Pacific coast are cheaper than almost any other city in Mexico, including Tijuana.

If you’re willing to shop around, you can easily stay in Puerto Vallarta for under $40 per person per night. For a more luxurious, all-inclusive experience, it’s about $200 per person per night.

Cancun is more sought after and you pay more to stay there. While some hotels charge upwards of $250 per night, you can find deals in the $60 range.

Beaches

Cancun has picturesque beaches with soft white sand and crystal clear turquoise waters. It’s a top destination in Mexico – especially Riviera Maya, where you’ll find most luxury hotels. Cancun is on the Caribbean coast of Mexico and Puerto Vallarta is on the Pacific coast. Inevitably, Caribbean beaches have a slight edge over Pacific beaches. If you want flawless beach photos to share on social media, look no further than Cancun.

The beaches around Puerto Vallarta are smaller and some are more rugged. But PV has great beaches: Los Muertos and Playa Camarones are the most popular. When you’re ready to venture further afield, take a boat south and stop at Las Animas, Majahuitas, Yelapa and other stunning beaches that are a bit less accessible.

There is a caveat regarding Cancun, seaweed and the rotting stink they create! It arrives year-round due to the currents in the Sargasso Sea, but they are more abundant during the warmer months between March, April, May and June. The formation and constant movement of sargassum, magnified by ocean changes due to global warming and ocean pollution are now a constant headache for Cancun’s tourism. Puerto Vallarta does not have this issue

Nightlife

Due to Puerto Vallarta’s origin as a fishing village rather than Cancun’s custom-built inception as a resort town, Puerto Vallarta’s dining options tend to be less touristy. For example, you’ll find burritos and seafood at independent restaurants rather than chain-owned restaurants. Nightlife is very active in Vallarta, mostly concentrated on the Malecon/Boardwalk, the Hotel Zone and the Romantic Zone also is a very LGBT-friendly area with clubs and community events.

Tourists that leave the all-Inclusive Cancun hotels and resorts will find local restaurants serving later-than-normal meal times. The city center is easily reached by taxi or Uber, and you’ll find a variety of Mexican and international restaurant chains. Cancun is well-known for its rowdy party scene, especially during spring break in March and April, and if that’s where you’re going, you won’t be disappointed. Clubs offer all-you-can-drink for a flat fee, and there are plenty of bars plus bar-club crawling tours, as well as foam parties and more.

I’d say Puerto Vallarta is more fun, whereas Cancun is rowdier, it’ll be a matter of personality what you end up enjoying most and what you choose in the end.

Hotels & Resorts

Choosing an accommodation winner between Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Maya (and Cancun) is challenging because it really depends on your travel style.

Both destinations have first-class hotels. Cancun is an all-inclusive resort city like no other. The Zona Hotelera covers most of Cancun’s coastline. As the name suggests, it consists of hotels. Many tourists in Cancun stay at their resorts and never leave, especially as they pay for all-inclusive travel packages. Most resorts have many restaurants, bars and nightly entertainment.

Puerto Vallarta is full of boutique hotels, resorts and Airbnbs for every budget and style, and there are even hotels for gay travelers. Accommodation here is a bit cheaper compared to Cancun, but best of all, you can stay in the charming old town and still be within walking distance to the beach. There’s a hotel zone, mostly all-inclusive, about 15 minutes by bus (or Uber) from the city center, but also close to shopping centers and the chic Marina Vallarta zone.

If you like big hotels, all-inclusive service and plenty of luxury options, Cancun is the place for you. If you prefer smaller boutique hotels or are on a tight budget, Puerto Vallarta is the place for you.

Overall, Cancun has more hotels to choose from. Cancun is better than most places when it comes to hotels. But Puerto Vallarta has a more authentic Mexican feel – Cancun is very American. So if you like big resorts, go to Cancun; if you like more authentic hotels, go to Puerto Vallarta.

Culture

Cancun itself is not really considered a cultural destination. If you want cultural activities, you can take a trip to Chichen Itza. It takes just over two hours to drive from Cancun to Chichen Itza. You can opt for a bus tour with a local guide. Chichen Itza is home to some of the greatest ruins of the Mayan civilization. It will give you a fascinating insight into a lost world.

Puerto Vallarta is home to a large art scene. You’ll see art galleries and art stores throughout the city. Stroll along the Malecon – the main shopping street and the PV promenade. You’ll find a great food scene, second only to Mexico City in terms of food options.

Puerto Vallarta allows you to truly experience Mexican life. You can take a PV to nearby towns such as Sayulita and the historic town of San Sebastián del Oeste for day trips. You can also visit some of the oldest Spanish cities in Mexico, such as Talpa and Mascota – both founded by los conquistadores.

Safety

Puerto Vallarta has a very low crime rate by both Mexican and American standards. Cancun is very similar, though lately there has been an uptick of incidents, even so, it is still very safe. Safety is an important factor for those visiting Mexico. This is a huge country, and some parts of it are safer than others. When it comes to safe travel in Mexico, there is no better destination than Puerto Vallarta.

So what beach destination is better, Puerto Vallarta or Cancun?

If all you want to do is party, drink and eat with no limits, then Cancun might just be the best option. For a more balanced trip, with outside activities and tours, then both have their appeal. If you want to experience Mexico while enjoying the local food and culture, then Puerto Vallarta is the obvious choice.

Last Updated on 15/03/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Puerto Vallarta is a city that combines what people expect of the Mexican charm and the convenience of a great and modern beach destination. When you are planning a great vacation and trip to get away from all of the modern stress, one unsettling question may come to mind: Is going to Puerto Vallarta safe?

We do recommend you check online on reliable sources of travel information and make up your own mind. It’s important that you use common sense in interpreting the information out there. We also understand that reading about just how safe Puerto Vallarta is from a Puerto Vallarta website is not really an unbiased source, though we strive to be one, can we really be one?

Even so, the data do show that Puerto Vallarta is actually one of the safest tourist destinations in Mexico. Millions of travelers from all over the world safely enjoy their family vacations on the beautiful coast of Banderas Bay.

Where can US citizens and Canadians travel?

During this COVID-19 Pandemic, closed borders and travel bans have been a constant these last two years, with many news sources mentioning the latest Mexico travel advisory or other criminal activities around the country. This bombardment of negativity will, of course, make you doubt and wonder if a trip to Puerto Vallarta is safe.

At no point in time has Mexico closed its borders to international travel, so if your country is not restricting international travel, you are free to travel to Puerto Vallarta. Coastal & beach destinations in Mexico that include Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Riviera Nayarit, Cancun and Baja California in general welcome flights and cruise ships.

Those wondering if it is safe to travel to Puerto Vallarta can relax their concerns thanks to the WTTC stamp of approval. Puerto Vallarta was awarded the Safe Travel Seal by the World Travel and Tourism Council, a certification that assures travelers that companies and destinations around the world follow strict protocols published by health professionals and they are implemented in accordance with WHO and CDC recommended guidelines.

Is there a travel warning for Mexico?

The U.S. Department of State maintains up-to-date travel information for destinations around the world, and some of the 32 different states that make up the country have travel advisories for Mexico. Be sure to read the details for the specific state you’re going to. The state of Jalisco, where Puerto Vallarta is located, has only a small Mexico travel advisory, offering a few comments, but also noting that “There are no restrictions on travel for U.S government employees to Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Puerto Vallarta (including neighboring Riviera Nayarit), Chapala, and Ajijic.” March 11, 2022 – Source

CDC Mexico Travel Guidelines

Is it safe to travel to Puerto Vallarta?

The State Department’s advice will help answer the question “Is it safe to travel to Puerto Vallarta?” But as anywhere in the world, crime can happen at any time. While there are no travel recommendations for Puerto Vallarta, common sense should be used when traveling. Some of the best ways to do this are to leave valuables at the resort (preferably in a safe if the room provides one), take official taxis and Ubers at night, and avoid concentrating more on your phone than your surroundings when walking down the famous cobblestone streets in Puerto Vallarta.

With few travel warnings in place for Puerto Vallarta, tourists from all over the world can roam the streets as they like and visit a variety of bars and restaurants at night without any real concerns. There will be no need to worry “Is Puerto Vallarta safe?”

Do inform yourself, find out where you are staying and use your common sense when vacationing. You’ll soon find out that it is not all hype and you’ll discover that Puerto Vallarta is actually as friendly and welcoming as you’ve heard. After a week of enjoying the sights, the food (tacos and seafood too), the beaches and the wonderful environment and ambiance, you’ll be another one of our promoters telling other people just how safe Puerto Vallarta is.

Last Updated on 15/03/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Marieta Islands Hidden Beach is a very small one, it’s located inside a cave carved out into the island by seawater erosion.

Because it is so small its total size will depend mostly on the tides, sands also come and go, evolving in time and after stormy seasons the beach may all but disappear too.

In general, I would say it is about 30 m length x 15-20 m wide (100 x 50-60 ft) – both times I’ve visited the beach, it’s had a useable edge. When I visited in 1999 the beach was flatter and the sand was softer. Now in December 2021, it was a bit steeper and I felt the sand a bit rougher than what I remember.

Marietas Islands’ Hidden Beach, also known as Playa del Amor (Love Beach) is not visible from the sea outside, you can see a bit of light through the access tunnel. It’s a 35 m (110 ft.)  long water tunnel connecting the beach to the outside, the Pacific Ocean. There is between 3 and six feet of space above the water in the tunnel, so in the past, at times visitors could reach the beach by kayaking, today, due to restrictions, the only way in is swimming.

Read more on the Marietas Islands and the sightseeing options there beyond the Hidden Beach.

Last Updated on 07/02/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

If you’re from the USA or Canada, a valid passport is all that’s needed to fly into Puerto Vallarta as long as your stay is shorter than 180 days.

If your stay will be longer than that – don’t forget about taking care of an additional form, talk to your local authorities to make sure what else you need.

Visitors should have accurate information when going through customs so they know what documents are required for entry in order not to exceed their visa limit.

Last Updated on 13/10/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

The current (Oct. 13, 2021) USA -based airlines that travel to Puerto Vallarta are:

• Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • American Eagle
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Frontier Airlines
  • JetBlue
  • Southwest Airlines
  • Spirit Airlines
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • United Airlines
  • United Express

No, there’s only one airport serving the Banderas Bay area.

Both Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta are served by Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (sometimes abbreviated as Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport) (IATA: PVR, ICAO: MMPR)

The International Airport in Puerto Vallarta is called: Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (sometimes abbreviated as Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport) (IATA: PVR) (ICAO: MMPR)

It is an international airport in the city of Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico. The airport is named after the Mexican President Gustavo Díaz Ordaz (1964–70).

More information on the PVR Airport

Ava Gardner and Richard Burton starred in the movie “The Night of the Iguana” (1964) that was directed by the famous John Huston.
However, when Elizabeth Taylor traveled with Richard Burton (both being married to other people at the time) the “Iguana” saga attracted paparazzi, made international headlines, and transformed Puerto Vallarta the area into a world-famous tourist destination.
So, no, Elizabeth Taylor was not part of the movie but was part of the reason why there was so much publicity surrounding the movie at the time.

Last Updated on 08/09/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Liz Taylor and her husband lived in Casa Kimberley, located in downtown Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in an area called Gringo Gulch a few blocks uphill from the famous crowned church, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish.
The exact address is Zaragoza 445, Centro, 48300 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico.
This Legendary Love Nest has recently been remodeled and changed its name to Casa Kimberly – a luxurious boutique hotel that combines the former homes of both Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor connected by the “Puente Del Amor” (Bridge of Love).

Last Updated on 08/09/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

First off the Hidden Beach is located in the northwestern part of Banderas Bay.

There are a number of tour operators that take you to the Marietas Islands, most do not take you to Hidden Beach and visit other very impressive areas around the main islands. So do take this into account.

Tours that go to the Hidden Beach (AKA Lover’s Beach or Crater Beach) start off very early in the morning in high-speed motorboats. These are operated by authorized Tour Operators, we recommend Ecotours Vallarta and Vallarta Adventures.

These tours will start off from either the API (Area Portuaria Integral), Puerto Vallarta’s harbor area or Marina Vallarta.

The ride there takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 60 minutes. You’ll get a total of 30 minutes from the moment you jump into the water to go to the Beach and back.

Last Updated on 27/08/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

How long the trip is will depend on two variables:

• Is the boat trip actually going to the Hidden Beach?
  • Are you going to stop or try to find dolphins & whales along the way?

If the trip is going to the crater beach, it’ll be a 40-45 minute full-speed ride in a high-speed motorboat from the Puerto Vallarta API (harbour area) or Marina Vallarta with some 10-12 other passengers.

If your trip isn’t going to the beach, it’ll take around an hour or an hour and a half, time will vary depending on how many marine creatures you encounter along the way (November to March you will encounter Humpback Whales and those are very hard to skip).

When the authorities detected growing destruction of the ecosystem at the Marietas Islands, they limited access to the Hidden Beach to a maximum of 116 people per day and the boats going there cannot carry more than 15 passengers at a time. The entrance to the beach is strictly controlled by National Park personnel and entry is granted strictly in order of arrival.

• Entrance is done in groups.
  • Once 116 passes are reached, no one else enters.
  • From the moment you enter the water, you have 30 minutes to get to and back from the beach.
  • Access is delimited by a line of buoys.
  • Both the tourist providers and you must pay a special entry permit (the money is reinvested in the park and access control).
  • You get a special wrist strap and you are provided with an official helmet that identifies you as authorized.
  • You must also wear a life jacket and no snorkels or fins are allowed.

So there is actually a sort of race to get as soon as possible every morning on the days that access is allowed (some of the days of the week).

To really know if your tour is going to Hidden Beach it will start off very early and only with a small group on a speedboat plus it will be significantly more expensive than the other Marietas Islands day cruises.

If that is not the case, do not expect to visit Lover’s Beach at Las Marietas, instead, you will get lame excuses when arriving at the Marietas, something like the tide is not right or something like that.

Nowadays, the only way to get to the islands and hidden beach at the Marietas Islands from Puerto Vallarta is by boat with a recognized and authorized tour company, we recommend Ecotours de México y Vallarta Adventures. You may also find options from Punta de Mita, but you’ll need to figure out a way to get to Punta de Mita Embarcadero.

Not all tours to the Marietas are created equal, first, because there are environmental concerns, secondly, local environmental authorities must approve those who travel there, especially tour operators, thirdly, they must know the area well, tides, and other important aspects.

There are tours that only take you to the islands and do not include a swim into Lover’s Beach (Hidden Beach), few more expensive options include the swim into the crater beach swimming through an impressive and breathtaking sea cave.

Two seahorse statues in Puerto Vallarta

Yes, there are actually two seahorse statues in Puerto Vallarta.

The first one was commissioned from Rafael Zamarripa in 1960 and was placed in Los Muertos Beach at a place called Las Pilitas where there are some boulders to which it was attached. After a strong storm, it was lost in the sea. A larger version was requested from the artist and it was placed at a safer location as the first statue/sculpture placed on the Malecon in 1976.

Read more about these sculptures here:

Last Updated on 25/08/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

There are a few ways to get to Yelapa, some of them are not really practical for most people, we’ll start off naming them all:

1- Take a water taxi to Yelapa directly from Puerto Vallarta
2- Ride a local bus to Boca de Tomatlán and then take a water taxi from Boca de Tomatlán
3- Drive to Chacala (2-hour drive – 77 km / 48 miles to a small town in the mountains) and then hike or mountain bike down to Yelapa
4- Take a day cruise tour to Yelapa.

The best and most reasonable way to get to Yelapa is to grab a local bus (camión) on the corner of Basilio Badillo and Constitución, it costs 10 pesos (2021), once you get to Boca de Tomaltan, walk down Pelícanos street to the Malecón or Pier and pay for a ticket on one of the many water taxis going to the south beaches, the 2021 rate for a one-way ticket is $120 pesos (approx. $6 USA dollars). There are water taxis that take off from the Playa Los Muertos pier, they are a bit more expensive and the trip by sea is a bit longer, only recommended for those that are good at sea.

Last Updated on 16/08/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

You may be asking yourself if Yelapa is worth visiting?
When you are in Puerto Vallarta and you want to spice up your day and have a good time, then by all means plan a trip to Yelapa. It’s a great and relaxing adventure, take the bus to Boca de Tomatlán and then one of the many water taxis (pangas) to Yelapa. You can hike to the waterfall, eat in one of the cute restaurants in the village, find some raicilla, stroll around the small alleys in the village or just enjoy some Margaritas on the main Yelapa beach while sunbathing or swimming in the calm waters of Yelapa bay.

Yelapa is certainly a safe place to visit, not only is it safer than Puerto Vallarta, Yelapa is, without doubt, one of the safest places to visit in all of Mexico.

Yelapa is a small quiet and relaxed town, plus it’s quite secluded (the only practical way to get there is by sea) and the villagers all know each other, and most are long-time residents.
So you can really just relax, there is nothing to be worried about there!

Yelapa Water Taxi Office, Puerto Vallarta

There’s a Water Taxi Office in Puerto Vallarta very close to the Los Muertos Pier, across the street from Dee’s Coffee, on Francisca Rodriguez 114. You’ll be able to book your water taxi to Yelapa there. Water taxis start off from the Playa Los Muertos Pier, right where Francisca Rodriguez ends with the pier.

Water taxis (called pangas) go to Yelapa, Las Animas, and Quimixto and depart multiple times a day. They begin at 10 AM and end around 6 PM.

The Los Muertos Pier is located where Francisca Rodríguez street intersects with the beach, between Hotel Marsol (to the north) and Hotel San Marino (to the south)

A round-trip in a water taxi to Yelapa (the farthest and southernmost destination takes about 45 min. each way) costs approx $450 pesos, prices vary depending on the season and exchange rate.

The last panga that returns from Yelapa normally takes off at 4:45 PM, do check with the water taxi captain to make sure you agree upon the pickup time.

Water Taxi Office information:

Address: Francisca Rodriguez 114, Puerto Vallarta
Phone: + 52 (322) 217-7049
Office hours: Every day of the week 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM

Contact
Sergio Martinez
yelapasergio@hotmail.com
+52 (322) 688-7490 & +52 (322) 111-2486

Last Updated on 11/08/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Yelapa, Jalisco, México

We recommend going to Boca de Tomatlán by land, a public bus charges some $0.60 dollars from Puerto Vallarta there, and from Boca, jump on a water taxi (panga) to Yelapa.

It’s $120 pesos one way from Boca de Tomatlán to Yelapa (2021 exchange rates = USD$ 6.00 dollars)

You’ll arrive at the eastern side pier in Yelapa (main Yelapa beach)

or at the town pier if you want to go straight to the waterfall.

Last Updated on 11/08/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Nurse Sharks

It’s the most common shark in the Puerto Vallarta area, they are what you would call a vacuum shark which is how they normally feed. They tend to stay most of the time invisible and completely still in the sands of shallow waters.

Whitetip Sharks

Recognizable for the white tip on the tip of their dorsal, tail and pectoral fins. You need to go searching for them to see them as they rarely wander within the bay because they live in deeper and colder waters.

Whale sharks

One shark species that is a not so rare visitor in the bay is the Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus), a harmless plankton-feeding shark, the largest fish in the ocean.

Do you need to be concerned about sharks in Puerto Vallarta or the Banderas Bay area?

The short answer is: No!

Are there sharks in Puerto Vallarta?

Yes, either small ones that are not a danger to human beings, that, more often than not, end up on the table of the local fishermen, or big huge ones, that are “veggie”-sharks, well, plankton-eating sharks, the whale sharks.

Any reason to feel scared while you swim in Puerto Vallarta? Are there any pirañas, barracudas or sharks ready to eat you up? Absolutely NO!

Whale Shark
Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus)

Puerto Vallarta’s beaches are contained with a bay and are considered extremely safe for watersports, scuba, snorkeling and swimming. For various decades, shark attacks have been mostly unheard of. This doesn’t mean fans of them can’t find them beyond the bay and within the deeper waters of the ocean around Banderas Bay.

In general, I would say the sand on the beaches in Puerto Vallarta is not white and never equivalent to the ones in the Caribbean. There is a logical explanation for this, there are many coral reefs in the Gulf of Mexico and these when they die and erode become white sand. On the Pacific Ocean side, the ecosystem and deeper waters don’t sustain large reefs, so the sands are created by geological processes. Furthermore, beaches in Cancun are actually artificial and have to be filled up with trucks each time a hurricane washes them away, so what would you prefer, nice clear yellow natural sand beaches or the fake/artificial option? ;-)
In any case, there are a variety of colours on the local beaches, I’ve noticed the lightest coloured ones are Playa de Oro and Flamingos (Nuevo Vallarta), the southern beaches tend to have a golden yellow colour and granulometry varies from medium-coarse to fine.
Camarones Beach, drone view looking south, downtown Puerto Vallarta

Camarones Beach (Playa Camarones), drone view looking south, downtown Puerto Vallarta

Romantic Zone Olas Altas Beach, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Romantic Zone Olas Altas Beach (before sunset), Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico

Los Muertos Beach 2019

Los Muertos Beach 2019

Las Amapas Beach, Puerto Vallarta

Las Amapas Beach, Puerto Vallarta

Another view Conchas Chinas Beach, Puerto Vallarta

Another view Conchas Chinas Beach (golden hour), Puerto Vallarta

Last Updated on 17/03/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Because Puerto Vallarta is located within a protective bay, Banderas Bay, the waters are much calmer and offer much better swimming conditions than out to the Pacific Ocean.
The city and its surroundings offer many great options, not only for those interested in a good swim, but also if you enjoy scuba diving, snorkelling, and kayaking.

Yes, definitely. You will feel much safer in most parts of Puerto Vallarta than in most cities in the United States or Canada. You’re far more likely to get in trouble in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Miami or other big USA cities and even there the likelihood isn’t very high. There is very little crime here, and what does exist is usually petty compared to the U.S.

People who get in trouble in Mexico are those looking for illegal substances or deals. Unless you are looking for trouble, tourist cities in Mexico are some of the safest and best places to go.

The tourist police here are friendly and very helpful.

Use your common sense, and be careful. Leave your fancy jewelry at home, etc. After dark, stay on the main streets, do not wander on the beaches unless you are in well-lit areas or close or together with other tourists.

Never flash large amounts of money, etc, the common sense stuff 🙂

There are some things that can be unsafe in Puerto Vallarta, these are:

1. Crossing the street where it isn’t safe

Though we don’t recommend it, you can jaywalk and cross with a red light as long as there are no vehicles that can harm you. In general, you need to be extra careful when walking across streets in Mexico, you’ll also notice cars turning right into sidestreets when you’d think it was your turn, sometimes they stop, but there are those that can be a bit distracted or drive recklessly, so do take care.

1. You can trip a lot on the irregular sidewalks

Sidewalks may be a bit dangerous at times, especially outside the normal tourist area, there are lots of trees and their roots make sidewalks a challenge at times. Holes do appear along the way and sometimes there’ll be things protruding from the ground without warning. Best tip, look out where you are walking and wear good shoes if out for a walking tour of the older parts of town.

Read more about safety and violence.

The idea is to pay in pesos so you don’t lose money with the fluid and the normally negative exchange rate you are offered around town (there are a few occasions it’s been better to pay in dollars, but they are few and far in between).

Don’t forget to tell your bank you’ll be using your bank card at ATMs in Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas so they don’t block it.

Once you are off the plane and have gone through immigration, baggage claim, the shark-tank and you’re out in the airport lobby, that’s the place to look for a bank-affiliated ATM (not before the lobby!). There should be some from the official ones, like Scotiabank, Banorte, Banamex, Santander, HSBC or BBVA Bancomer, these are the ones to use (avoid anyone saying Cashola!).

You can withdraw up to 7000 pesos, some 350 dollars each time, the service fee depends on the bank ATM, but is around 25 to 40 pesos (1.5 to 2 dollars) and what your bank charges you on the other side. All things considered, that’s a very low charge for the service and the best exchange rate you’ll find in town.

Once you are in town find the same type of ATM, the ones affiliated with bank chains, I would recommend using the ones inside banks or established stores where it would be harder to install number skimming devices that are now part of the dangers in banks worldwide.

Last Updated on 27/02/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

USA dollar bills (though not the coins) are widely accepted in most tourist-oriented restaurants and shops around Puerto Vallarta. Do pay in Mexican pesos whenever it is possible, however, if you want to get a better price and not lose money.

So in the end, you don’t need to bring large amounts of dollars, in the past, when banks were primitive and ATMs didn’t exist, maybe, but not now. Pesos are king and you’ll normally just get a bad exchange rate and lose money.

Even so, I would recommend bringing a few hundred in cash as plan C :-)

For decades Puerto Vallarta’s water has been certified for human consumption – one of the few places in Mexico to receive this honor, but that doesn’t mean you should necessarily drink it. It means it’s safe when it leaves the water treatment plant, but after going through the water pipes, what comes out the other end may not be!

Stick to purified water, which is now served in all restaurants, hotels, and bars throughout Vallarta, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. In most hotels, you’ll receive a couple of complimentary water bottles, either in the bathroom or in the refrigerator.

In most hotels and restaurants, you will get purified water when opening the tap, if in doubt – ask: (Agua purificada?). Buy bottled water; why not be completely safe?

Read our forum topic on Puerto Vallarta Water

I.V.A. (Impuesto al valor agregado), is Mexico’s value-added tax (VAT), it is 16% in the state of Jalisco and you will notice it added on all your bills, many items that you wish you purchase will have a notice “IVA incluido” (tax included) or “+ I.V.A.”(tax not included in the total price).

Yes, you can buy them, and yes, they are expensive.

No, you cannot take them back to the U.S., but if you are returning to Canada it is OK.

Be careful of counterfeits. More info.

There is no hurricane season in the Puerto Vallarta area. The best time to come is winter, from October to May.

During the summer, from June to September, we have our rainy season, but you still get lots of sunny days, lots of people still come down and have a great time, plus you get much better prices in the low season.

Tropical rains are also fun, sometimes we have a beautiful day and then it starts raining hard for a couple of hours, mostly it rains at night for a few hours.

By the way, the last time Puerto Vallarta was “hit” by a hurricane (it actually missed PV) was on October 25, 2002 and it was Hurricane Kenna.

Visit our real-time Puerto Vallarta webcam and get a view of the weather conditions this very moment.

Nobody can predict the weather. We have an Average Temperature Chart on our Puerto Vallarta Weather section page.

You can use online services to get an idea and if you want confirmation, you can call your hotel a few days before your arrival to make sure.

Finally but most importantly, visit our real-time webcam and get a view of the weather conditions this very moment, sure beats guessing and calling around! 🙂

Last Updated on 26/02/2021 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Your waiter will only bring you your check when you request it.

Tips range from 10% to 20% of the total bill. A 16% IVA (VAT) tax is applied to all products and services.

Take care, some restaurants include a service fee in the bill, this is not legal and you can dispute it.

Read many comments and ideas regarding tipping on the Vallarta Forum.

The peso is Mexico’s official currency, but almost all purchases in town can be paid in US dollars.

Dollars are accepted almost everywhere in Puerto Vallarta, however large bills (Franklins, etc.) can be difficult to break and can cause you hassles. We recommend you bring plenty of $1’s, $5’s, and $10’s.

If you go on an adventure way out of the main tourist areas, it will be best that you bring enough pesos along.

Before traveling to Puerto Vallarta it’s a good idea that you exchange 30 -40 dollars so you have change for the taxi, tips, etc., upon arrival, though all will accept dollars too, the rate they’ll give will not be the best.

Read more and get the exchange rates on our Puerto Vallarta Mexico Currency section.

Puerto Vallarta is located in Central Standard Time year-round.

Use this map to figure the time difference Timezone Map

or use our what is the current time in Puerto Vallarta section.

Yes, to both questions.

All major credit cards (except Discover) are widely accepted.

If you are to eat in a restaurant, it is best to ask before ordering, not every business in town accepts credit cards, just as back home.

All of the banks will give cash advances, most have ATM machines at their locations, for after-hours cash.

If you lose a credit card call one of the numbers listed in Banks and currency section.

The international airport departure tax is more or less $80 US Dollars and is generally included in your airline ticket price, this is always the case for tickets from USA and Canada.

Check with your local airline or travel agent for updated information.

Currently, tax is paid separately for charter flights from the UK, so do take this into account when calculating the total fare price.

Last Updated on 30/06/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Upon arrival at the International Puerto Vallarta airport you are asked to push a button that will determine if you’re luggage will be searched or not, if you get a green light you go and if you get a red light you are searched, this system is totally random. This process will soon be eliminated, there’s mention of the end of 2018 or 2019 for that to be implemented.

Please check at the Mexican consulate in your city for necessary documents to come to Mexico.

Read about duty-free quotas in our customs section.

The green and white (FMM – Forma Migratoria Múltiple) piece of paper you are given when you enter the country is your Tourist Card, and it’s very important that you don’t lose it.

You can get another, but the process is a pain, and you’ll spend too much of your vacation in government offices and line-ups.

Keep it in a safe place until you leave, along with your passport and other documentation, preferably a hotel security box.

If you can’t find it on the way out you might be fined (more details in the passport & visas section).

In general, to enter Mexico you need to obtain a Tourist Card (FMM).

To get your Tourist Card you will need to prove citizenship, and now passports are the only accepted form of ID for travel by air (read more details in the passports section).

A photo ID is very helpful when in town, so you don’t need to move around with your valuable passport. A passport can serve as proof of citizenship and photo ID.

Airlines will furnish the Tourist Card. Be sure to save the FMM, as you must present this document when leaving Mexico.

Things have changed lately so be sure to consult the latest rules regarding foreign travel and documentation, more information.

Last Updated on 26/09/2022 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Sign up to our Bi-Weekly Newsletter with news, tips and more (no spam!) – example

Last updated on September 26, 2022 10:19

Share this article, choose your favorite option!

Leave A Comment

Go to Top
Book Now