3) After dark on Playa de Los Muertos
4) Every other time of day
by TNbear
Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 am
Forum: Restaurants, Cafés & Food in General
Topic: Best breakfast joint?
Replies: 38
Views: 22931

Mrs. Bear and I became fans of Freddy's Toucan on our last visit (October last year). I loved the scrambled eggs with machaca. The Bloody Marys are not great, but no one can screw up a Tequila and orange juice with a squeeze of lime.
We ate there twice, the other 5 days we breakfasted in the condo.
by TNbear
Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:43 am
Topic: Favorite Mexican Cerveza? (poll)
Replies: 75
Views: 82984

A bottle of beer will also go "off" or become "skunked" if exposed to too much light. Obviously a clear bottle increases the liklyhood of this happening. Green bottles also allow too much light to impact the contents, Heineken is a notable example. I have read where experts feel that at least 50% of...
by TNbear
Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:01 am
Forum: Puerto Vallarta Reports & Reviews
Topic: My birthday week in PV
Replies: 10
Views: 6832

Joyce; I have no idea, my Spanish is not good enough to inquire about these kinds of things. However, I can state that the seafood was quite good and fresh. However I highly recommend keeping your eyes and nose wide open when purchasing seafood. Jenny; if you saw me you will remember me. Big guy, 6'...
by TNbear
Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 pm
Topic: My birthday week in PV
Replies: 10
Views: 6832

My birthday week in PV

Hit town Sat. Oct. 20. we were met at the airport by a driver from the condo manager. We talked (tipped) him into stopping at Rizo's on the way so we could pick up provisions. At the condo we were quite happy, small but very neat and pretty, with a balcony which had a view of the bay, After relaxing...
by TNbear
Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:51 am
Topic: Favorite Mexican Cerveza? (poll)
Replies: 75
Views: 82984

Something I did not see in Feb. but found in almost all bars and restaurants last month was 9% Pacificos. A different flavor profile, noticably more malty, and, obviously, more bounce to the ounce. Personally, I avoid any beer in a clear bottle. Clear glass increases your chances of getting a skunke...
by TNbear
Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:43 pm
Topic: Best Restaurant Poll II
Replies: 44
Views: 49369

I have only tried a few of the restaurants listed but my vote is for El Arrayan where we ate for my birthday Friday evening. Of all the ceviche we ate last week the scallop ceviche here was just awesome. My Pibil pork was also very good as was my wifes filet with mole sauce. We seldom eat sweets but...
by TNbear
Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:18 pm
Topic: Seafood market(s)
Replies: 13
Views: 13870

Well, I'm back after a wondeful week in PV. We checked out two seafood markets; the one directly across from Rizo's had some nice looking little snappers we purchased for our first home-cooked dinner and they were very good, however on subsequent visits this shop had rather a bad smell to it. The sh...
by TNbear
Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:19 am
Topic: Bad reviews - quit whining people!
Replies: 19
Views: 14976

Just a few notes to show how folks are different. 1) Anyone who makes a wakeup call to my room is in immediate danger. 2) Mrs. Bear is a wonderful cook and would go nuts not cooking for a week, which is why we are staying in a condo. 3) Wait a minute, wakeup call??? It's a vacation!!! If I want to d...
by TNbear
Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:18 pm
Forum: General Ramblings
Topic: Four weeks
Replies: 5
Views: 2440

Ellen,

The glass will be EMPTY as soon as I grab it one more time.
Hoping I see some of y'all.

Bear
by TNbear
Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:21 am
Topic: Four weeks
Replies: 5
Views: 2440

Four weeks

Four weeks from today I'll be in PV. :D :D :D
Five weeks from today I leave PV. :cry: :cry: :cry:
by TNbear
Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:16 am
Topic: "cockiest guy I ever met"
Replies: 3
Views: 2195

The first time he DID NOT receive the majority of the popular vote. He was "elected" by The Supreme Court. The fact that he was elected again is one of the greatest shames the U.S. will ever have to live down.
by TNbear
Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:43 am
Topic: Sept 29th Meeting and Birthday Blowout at Cafe Roma
Replies: 4
Views: 2916

I'll be in PV Oct 20-27 to celebrate my birthday-the 26th. Any big parties in that time frame??
by TNbear
Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10 am
Topic: U.S. College Football Game Watching?
Replies: 35
Views: 15940

I too will be arriving in PV Oct. 20th. I will also be looking to watch that game, I'll be the one wearing orange. GO VOLS!!!!!
by TNbear
Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:51 pm
Topic: Numero Ocho
Replies: 4
Views: 2275

$7.59/lb for Mahi Mahi? What a deal!!
by TNbear
Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:15 pm

From the research I've done, I'm sure that it is rizzo's market you are speaking of. I figured that it would be a fall back position for sure, but I'm more interested in the small stalls or shops that are maybe even operated by the fisherman and/or his family.
Thanks for the input.
Bear
by TNbear
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:32 am

Seafood market(s)

My wife and I will be back in PV at the end of October for our second visit. Our first was in Feb. for a wedding which used up most of our time. We have rented a condo in Old Town which has a kitchen. My wife being an excellent cook, we want to know where is a good place to buy fresh seafood to prep...
by TNbear
Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 pm
Topic: Finally a Starbucks in PV
Replies: 25
Views: 15247

Exactly Kat, the locals go to the American/Canadian chains because to them it is different. I confess to being a chain restaurant hater, even when I travel in the States I try to eat at local places. Life is far too short to eat formula food that may not have even been prepared within hundreds of mi...
by TNbear
Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:12 am
Topic: Finally a Starbucks in PV
Replies: 25
Views: 15247

I'm with Cheesehead, why travel thousands of miles to a foriegn country and then go to Starbucks/McDonalds/Chilis etc. I don't even go to those places here for goodness sake. Go to places that are different, where you might find something new and exciting. Otherwise you might as well stay at home an...
by TNbear
Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:43 pm
Forum: Puerto Vallarta Transportation
Topic: Cabs
Replies: 3
Views: 3649

Being the gentleman that I am, my wife sat in front. She is also of larger than average stature and not as flexible as even I am.
Bottom line, we walked a lot which was great.