Sculpture dedicated to the LGBT community in Puerto Vallarta is ready

The majority of Octavio Gonzalez’s life has been devoted to creating bronze sculptures. Many of these works, which reflect his love of animals and the natural world as well as the personal connection they have with people, were displayed in Puerto Vallarta.

Realizing a figure dedicated to the LGBT population in this region is one of the most significant challenges of his career, very different from the work for which he has previously been recognized, but one that will open new doors for him.

“I have always respected the colorful, the slanted-eyed, the LGBT, the elles,  and the ellas since I was a young child. “There are a huge number of sculptors, all with distinct styles, and each one chooses a certain group of individuals to represent based on their preferences,” he explained.
A building in Puerto Vallarta where members of this community work will house the sculpture. The piece is built around a central premise in which he examines the notion that regardless of our gender, sexual preference, or orientation, we are all people.

Although he acknowledges that it will be difficult for his career because of the potential backlash from the guild, he insists that he is not concerned because he wants to use his own art  to leave a legacy for this community.

Octavio Gonzalez was born in Tepatitlan but has spent most of his life in Puerto Vallarta. His work is well known in this area; among the more than 350 sculptures he has created throughout his career, the whale sculpture at Marina Vallarta or the well-known Fountain of the Dolphins on the Malecon stand out.

The individuals that work with him, says Octavio, are an essential component of his work; without them, nothing would be possible.

Because they work day in and day out without taking breaks, he added, “Thanks to my staff; without them, I would not have any renown or reputation.”
Octavio intends to start a new project dedicated to his only daughter, the inspiration for his work, once the LGBT sculpture is completed, which he claims is 90 percent complete.She currently resides in New York, and he wants to place a piece of art there called “The Women of War,” which will examine the sadness and pain of American mothers who see their children enlist in the military.

Source: Milenio.com

Last Updated on 04/02/2023 by Puerto Vallarta Net

Last Updated on 04/02/2023 by Puerto Vallarta Net